New associate banter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
vanwinkle

Re: New associate banter

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:29 pm

run26.2 wrote:
Headybrah wrote:
run26.2 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:Potentially dumb Q: Anyone buy a desktop for work at home? Assuming you have the $$, thoughts?

I got a Mac Mini because it takes up less space and does everything I need. I have 2 monitors running through it, 1 vertical, 1 horizontal.

what is point of one vertical one horizontal?

You can put multiple (at least 3 on a high res) docs next to one another on the horizontal one. The vertical one is used to read long docs, so you're not constantly pushing page down, or to keep several long blocks of text in view on top of one another. It is a modest advantage to 2 monitors set up horizontally, IMO.

This. On a widescreen monitor (and these days who doesn't have widescreen monitors) you can read a full page at about full size on a vertical monitor. It's really efficient for reading things, especially while writing, with your word processor open on the horizontal monitor.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Wohoo. Finally got cable/internet set up. Now I don't have to go to my complex's lounge to do stuff / surf.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Tenths of hours

lol

just lol

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:23 pm

IAFG wrote:Tenths of hours

lol

just lol

dun get it?

shadow.

Postby shadow. » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:45 pm

rad lulz wrote:Any scanner that's not feed through is crap

Can anyone recommend a good feed through scanner? One that sells in Amazon is a plus. Thanks!

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 pm

shadow. wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good feed through scanner? One that sells in Amazon is a plus. Thanks!

The SnapScan is probably the best, and the Doxie is cheaper and apparently good as well.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:54 pm

Get a decent laser all-in-one (preferably color). The per page cost is much cheaper than inkjet, crap you print looks way more professional, and you get scanning with a feeder. I got a used business-class one on Craigslist 4 years ago for $300 and its still going strong. A set of color/black toners is <$100 on ebay and good for 3,500+ pages.

SnapScans, etc are built for heavy-duty scanning and is overkill for what you'd use it for.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:07 am

shadow. wrote:

I bought this one a few months ago and love it (especially the wireless connectivity): http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-S ... B0091DPYDU

If you are looking for something cheaper and don't need the double-sided aspect, they make a similar version for like $50 less.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:15 am

lol

just lol

I never do a poop or coffee refill without a Westlaw printout. Dem .1s add up.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:23 am

romothesavior wrote:The lack of feedback is a little weird after coming from school. Hard to know what the people assigning me work think of me so far. But some of them are coming back with more, so I suppose that means I'm not a total incompetent.

Be sure to ask to see the final version of things (when not annoying). That will help you see what changes were made. When you can understand why a change was made and then avoid making that "mistake" in the future, you're moving in the right direction.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:29 am

SBL wrote:

lol

just lol

In my experience, the difference between a "crapy," a "good," and a "great" biller is often times separated by how many of the small items the biller captures. It's easy to miss those .2 or .3 entries and dismiss them as a waste of time (or simply forget to bill them because you jumped to another task. But when you do the math, 10 .2 or .3 items a day missed can add up to 2 to 3 hours a day, which is 10 to 15 hours a week, which is 40 to 60 hours a month, which is 480 to 720 hours per year. No one can afford to miss those kinds of hours.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:08 am

reasonable_man wrote:
SBL wrote:

lol

just lol

In my experience, the difference between a "crapy," a "good," and a "great" biller is often times separated by how many of the small items the biller captures. It's easy to miss those .2 or .3 entries and dismiss them as a waste of time (or simply forget to bill them because you jumped to another task. But when you do the math, 10 .2 or .3 items a day missed can add up to 2 to 3 hours a day, which is 10 to 15 hours a week, which is 40 to 60 hours a month, which is 480 to 720 hours per year. No one can afford to miss those kinds of hours.

If we had a forum I would start a new thread. There's thread on xo talking about how clients hate to see .1s, particularly one-off emails btw attorneys.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:20 am

IAFG wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
SBL wrote:

lol

just lol

If we had a forum I would start a new thread. There's thread on xo talking about how clients hate to see .1s, particularly one-off emails btw attorneys.

That's all fine and good. Let the partner write it off then. I still need those .1s to meet my hourly goals.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:21 am

For my work, the preference seems to be specific descriptions of the goal of the task but light or no details on the steps, i.e.

"Reviewing precedents and drafting the preliminary prospectus supplement for [matter]"

vs.

"Receiving request from client, panicking, calling to see if anybody has any idea what the hell they're asking us to do, checking with the client about several inconsistencies in the document they sent over, trying to convince a paralegal to do the work for me, grabbing a cigarette and ignoring the problem, preparing a draft while neglecting part of the terms, revising the draft to correct my obvious mistake, trying to find somebody to ask stupid questions, asking those stupid questions, reloading Word after it crashes, reloading the paper in the printer, preparing several blacklines, fussing with fonts and margins to make the cover page fit, emailing the blacklines to the senior associate"

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:31 am

The suggestion was do to things in bigger chunks so instead of .1 email, turn that into a .3 something more substantive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:37 am

IAFG wrote:The suggestion was do to things in bigger chunks so instead of .1 email, turn that into a .3 something more substantive.

Just roll in into whatever bigger thing you're doing on the matter.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:39 am

Quarter hour system seems better. Wrote an email .25 hours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:14 am

I'm the worst biller. At the end of the day, I'm like that took me about 2.5 hours. :O :X

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:28 am

nvm

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:The suggestion was do to things in bigger chunks so instead of .1 email, turn that into a .3 something more substantive.

Just roll in into whatever bigger thing you're doing on the matter.

Right, that's what I am saying

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the worst biller. At the end of the day, I'm like that took me about 2.5 hours. :O :X

This is legitimately a bad thing to do for about a million reasons

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:54 am

My firm only permits one entry per client, per day so you have to roll them together. They don't want to round a client bill for .1 for an email, then an hour later round to another .1 to reply, etc.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:55 am

SBL wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm the worst biller. At the end of the day, I'm like that took me about 2.5 hours. :O :X

This is legitimately a bad thing to do for about a million reasons

This. Its not that hard. I have an app on my phone that tracks it for you and then you can email a report to yourself/secretary from the app. It even lets you setup how each client gets billed (.1/.25/etc).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:

My firm only permits one entry per client, per day so you have to roll them together. They don't want to round a client bill for .1 for an email, then an hour later round to another .1 to reply, etc.

Best to block bill in general. Also, clients like to compare "shared billing entries" to catch lies (i.e., you and a partner were on a call, but partner notes 1 hour and you note .5). To avoid that, combine the call with something else (usually just another task you did for that client, or if not that, preparation you did for the call).

Don't lie, of course. But there's always a good possibility of a discrepancy between someone else's time and your time for the same task, and you don't want to be the one taking the heat for that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:08 pm

Also, block billing makes most sense for corporate juniors. Do you ever come away from the day wondering what the hell you were doing? For most of your first year, you're managing a process and waiting for shit. It makes no sense to bill discreet amounts to each of the tasks that fall within those categories. Best to combine all those stupid insignificant tasks into a single time entry so it all makes sense.

Return to “Legal Employment”