New associate banter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Re: New associate banter

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:45 pm

beach_terror wrote:At least in lit, whenever I feel like I'm freeing up and may need to ask for work I get thrown into something that requires all of my attention for a few days. Luckily my firm doesn't prioritize doc review (at least for me right now) so I always have a few hours of it sitting around if I need some hours to occupy myself. Also not sure if its because I'm a lit boutique or if all lit is like this, but I've already worked on some motions, complaints, and depo questions in my first month here. Definitely enjoying it.

Also, how long until you guys/gals are going to be doing your own depos? Sounds like they want me ready within a year or so, which is sorta terrifying.

I work at a lit boutique and haven't done anything as intense as you

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Want to burst into the hall and tell this partner & senior associate kvetching about sports are OPRESSING ME AS A WOMAN

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Where the *expletive* did you guys get furniture on the cheap?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Where the *expletive* did you guys get furniture on the cheap?

The curb. People throw away perfectly good IKEA furniture when moving... my furniture is 1/6 new, 3/6 ground score and 2/6 from my parents.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:06 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Where the *expletive* did you guys get furniture on the cheap?

The curb. People throw away perfectly good IKEA furniture when moving... my furniture is 1/6 new, 3/6 ground score and 2/6 from my parents.

I'm about to grab a cup of coffee and cuddle up to craigslist then.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:08 pm

CL

but increasingly I just don't use any

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:

CL

I sleep in a sleeping bag on a pile of blankets on an uncarpeted floor.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:18 pm

thesealocust wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

CL

I sleep in a sleeping bag on a pile of blankets on an uncarpeted floor.

I don't blame ya

I think my sleeping bad was as expensive as my mattress

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:24 pm

Remember when we used to think that we would be ballin' after we graduated law school? Sigh.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Remember when we used to think that we would be ballin' after we graduated law school? Sigh.

I'm living on leftover conference room sandwiches and sodas.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:36 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Remember when we used to think that we would be ballin' after we graduated law school? Sigh.

I'm living on leftover conference room sandwiches and sodas.

Same. And I'm living paycheck to paycheck otherwise.

The TYRANNY of 7.9%.

I often reflect upon why I did this to myself. I could've sworn I had a cogent reason at one point.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:37 pm

This was me. I accidentally hit anon. I thought I would be able to buy furniture before that first paycheck came . . . or food. (I kid, I can afford only food).

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:59 pm

My bank account and debt are balling. I just sleep on the floor, eat dollar pizza, and entertain myself by making art out of office supplies.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:05 pm

beach_terror wrote:At least in lit, whenever I feel like I'm freeing up and may need to ask for work I get thrown into something that requires all of my attention for a few days. Luckily my firm doesn't prioritize doc review (at least for me right now) so I always have a few hours of it sitting around if I need some hours to occupy myself. Also not sure if its because I'm a lit boutique or if all lit is like this, but I've already worked on some motions, complaints, and depo questions in my first month here. Definitely enjoying it.

Also, how long until you guys/gals are going to be doing your own depos? Sounds like they want me ready within a year or so, which is sorta terrifying.

I counted recently. I've taken or defended as the lead attorney over 100 deps (not cases but number of witnesses). 1 year is enough time to learn how to defend a simple dep or to muddle through a really straight- forward plaintiff dep IMHO. Don't let that freak you out too much.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:06 pm

rad lulz wrote:

I got no offered and never thought I'd be ballin. I am thankful for this job every damn day.

You landed quite well in my opinion Rad.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:12 pm

I hope Thesealocust expensed 1 dollar pizza slices. It would make my week.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Potentially dumb Q: Anyone buy a desktop for work at home? Assuming you have the $$, thoughts?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I hope Thesealocust expensed 1 dollar pizza slices. It would make my week.

This is now an item on my to-do list.

Cade McNown wrote:Potentially dumb Q: Anyone buy a desktop for work at home? Assuming you have the $$, thoughts?

Least dumb question ever. My desktop at home with 2 monitors has meant a lot more sleep and freedom - my favorite trick is sending out drafts of deal documents from home in the morning before leaving for the office. Commute is often just long enough to arrive to comments or signoff from the client 8)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:24 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I hope Thesealocust expensed 1 dollar pizza slices. It would make my week.

This is now an item on my to-do list.

Cade McNown wrote:Potentially dumb Q: Anyone buy a desktop for work at home? Assuming you have the $$, thoughts?

Least dumb question ever. My desktop at home with 2 monitors has meant a lot more sleep and freedom - my favorite trick is sending out drafts of deal documents from home in the morning before leaving for the office. Commute is often just long enough to arrive to comments or signoff 8)

My bucket list is going to be taking a summer to mcdonalds for the paid lunch.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:26 pm

I heard some firms used to give out technology stipends. Damn ITE!!!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:28 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

iLaw

Postby iLaw » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:37 pm

I am literally the only person I know with a desktop (and I use it a lot more than my laptop). Wish I could think of some compelling reason to advocate a PC, other than to say I’d rather work at a desk… plus I’ve never cared for laptops. I will add that a 24" screen makes it nice.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:09 pm

I got a Mac Mini because it takes up less space and does everything I need. I have 2 monitors running through it, 1 vertical, 1 horizontal.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:10 pm

thesealocust wrote:Least dumb question ever.
<-- blushing
thesealocust wrote:My desktop at home with 2 monitors has meant a lot more sleep and freedom - my favorite trick is sending out drafts of deal documents from home in the morning before leaving for the office. Commute is often just long enough to arrive to comments or signoff from the client 8)
Do you also find need for a printer and/or shredder? Thanks. edit: same Q to other poasters w/ desktop

Return to “Legal Employment”