New associate banter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
quakeroats

Re: New associate banter

Postby quakeroats » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:45 am

thesealocust wrote:In a lot of ways, yeah. I'm full of conflict... I like and/or love a lot of what I do, and in a lot of ways the more I do the more I like it and the less it hurts.

But the trade of is rest of life... whizzing by without noticing.

If you're doing something you enjoy, does it really matter that there are other things you aren't doing that you might also enjoy?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:50 am

quakeroats wrote:
thesealocust wrote:In a lot of ways, yeah. I'm full of conflict... I like and/or love a lot of what I do, and in a lot of ways the more I do the more I like it and the less it hurts.

If you're doing something you enjoy, does it really matter that there are other things you aren't doing that you might also enjoy?

That's the $64,000 question now isn't it? But as chup/my family/every ex-girlfriend I have has told me, I overthink things :lol:

phonepro wrote:What are first year associates billing rates? Just curious to compare them to my billing rate.

As far as I know, sticker big law rates for 1st years are between $200 and $400 for the most part. I don't recall my exact rate and am not sure how much pinning it down is outing, but that's my impression.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:44 pm

Anyone else postponing pimping out their office until after bar results come out? I still haven't even brought in my diploma yet.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:54 pm

beach_terror wrote:Anyone else postponing pimping out their office until after bar results come out? I still haven't even brought in my diploma yet.

Mine is still in its tube. The college one too. Yeah I'm not trying to offend the bar gods

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:45 pm

phonepro wrote:What are first year associates billing rates? Just curious to compare them to my billing rate.

~220

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:20 pm

My boss is such a bad writer, but somehow thinks he's great. At times, I have to read sentences three times to figure out what they are saying, but I feel like I can't change much, because he's my boss. Ugh.

edit: Now I have to stay late because my boss insists on making more changes to something that must be done tonight, and he forgot to save all of his changes. I hate working for old people. Seriously.

electricfeel

Postby electricfeel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:31 pm

this thread is prob one of the most useful ones I've encountered on TLS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Midlaw, 300

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:53 pm

thesealocust wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

That's the $64,000 question now isn't it? But as chup/my family/every ex-girlfriend I have has told me, I overthink things :lol:

As far as I know, sticker big law rates for 1st years are between $200 and $400 for the most part. I don't recall my exact rate and am not sure how much pinning it down is outing, but that's my impression.

IIRC, there was a PDF of a spreadsheet that listed firms and their billing rates. It may have been an average billing rate. Can anyone provide a link to that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:40 pm

beach_terror wrote:Anyone else postponing pimping out their office until after bar results come out? I still haven't even brought in my diploma yet.

One of the nicest things about starting after clerking is that I got this stress out of the way last year. My first year as an associate has already been stressful enough, I really feel for you guys who are doing all this while still waiting for results.

masterbrowski

Postby masterbrowski » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

One of the nicest things about starting after clerking is that I got this stress out of the way last year. My first year as an associate has already been stressful enough, I really feel for you guys who are doing all this while still waiting for results.

Does anyone have a start date after bar results come back?

v20lawyer

Postby v20lawyer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:08 am

run26.2 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

IIRC, there was a PDF of a spreadsheet that listed firms and their billing rates. It may have been an average billing rate. Can anyone provide a link to that?

If you're really curious about rates for a particular firm then try and find a case where they were debtor/creditors' committee counsel in a bankruptcy case. Most of the major ones will have a free docket online provided by the claims agent. You could at least look and compare Kirkland/Weil/Skadden from paralegal through partners of various seniority and get a pretty good idea of what billing rates are across the board for similar firms.

For example:

Paul Hastings - Look at page 34: http://www.amrcaseinfo.com/pdflib/10019_15463.pdf
Skadden - Pages 2 through 4: http://www.amrcaseinfo.com/pdflib/10002_15463.pdf
Covington - Page 3: http://www.amrcaseinfo.com/pdflib/9995_15463.pdf
Weil - Pages 2 through 4: http://www.amrcaseinfo.com/pdflib/9552_15463.pdf

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:49 pm

I have to say, arguing on the internet was not bad practice for quick "need it yesterday" research assignments.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:37 pm

IAFG wrote:I have to say, arguing on the internet was not bad practice for quick "need it yesterday" research assignments.

Ashamedly, +1.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:59 pm

IAFG wrote:I have to say, arguing on the internet was not bad practice for quick "need it yesterday" research assignments.

Not sure if you are talking about quick research on Google to support arguments or talking about presenting the results of your research.

On a related note, my experience is that lawyers (and law students), generally speaking, have personalities that are inherently prone to arguing. Many contexts, including TLS, in which that personality "shines" through will refine it. Sadly, I often run across arguments presented by long-practicing attorneys that are unclear, unsupported, and/ or that misrepresent the authority on which the argument relies.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I believe this is the going rate at top NYC firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:54 pm

For one interesting point of contrast, I know for a fact my (V10 NYC) firm collected a blended rate of about $350 / hour for one project we did recently, totaling all hours (i.e. from 4-figure / hour partners who spent a few minutes down to first years and paralegals who ground it out). Billing arrangements are full of written off hours and/or discounted rates, sometimes even straight up non-collectible (I've heard partners mention 80% as being about how much of the money billed the firm can actually collect). In this instance I could actually compare the amount of time entered into our system with funds received by our firm, which was interesting.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Google is almost always TCR for where to start

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:12 pm

masterbrowski wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Does anyone have a start date after bar results come back?

I do. If I pass, it'll be a few of the most relaxing weeks of my life.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I believe this is the going rate at top NYC firms.

This is right, although it may also apply at non-NYC offices.

cim_can

Postby cim_can » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:12 pm

phonepro wrote:What other dress shirts have a similar fit to Brooks Brothers extra slim fit and also are as perty without ironing?

Those are the only shirts that I like they way they fit, and look good with just washing. However, the selection is SUPER small.

Charles Tyrwhitt has a big selection and less expensive than Brooks Brothers.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:35 pm

run26.2 wrote:

Not sure if you are talking about quick research on Google to support arguments or talking about presenting the results of your research.

Sadly, I've used Westlaw in many an Internet argument, so I really mean both.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:34 am

Summoned to the office for an emergency.

Am I allowed to delude myself and think this is kind of exciting, or is at an obligation to realize how insane and farcical this has become?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Summoned to the office for an emergency.

Am I allowed to delude myself and think this is kind of exciting, or is at an obligation to realize how insane and farcical this has become?

You are allowed to think it's exciting

Return to “Legal Employment”