New associate banter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
snowpeach06

Re: New associate banter

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:42 pm

lukertin wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Not at a firm but I just started a job this week. Thus far, the only things I have done are: make a few phone calls to introduce myself to people, wonder if I will be able to do work when I actually get some, chuckle in my head every time I remember I have a secretary named Remington and think about how much I want my first pay check. Ohh, and complain about how much the computer they gave me sucks.

On the bright side, apparently my boss is in the office like three hours a week, so, I can get away with doing nothing.

Weren't you doing nothing anyway? :p

But when I'm not supervised, I can actually just leave the office instead of pretending to work. I think I'm going to take like three coffee breaks today. haha.

Ohh, and I take cherry tomatoes to work. They travel pretty well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:41 pm

IAFG wrote:I am absurdly broke.

Tell me about it. I'm at a firm with a business casual dress code but my SA firm required suits, so I am going to be really out of place until I have some funds. That first paycheck can't come soon enough. I probably should've just survived on the dollar pizza/free coke diet until payday.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:28 pm

being in a new city sucks, really want to drink tonight but I have no one to hang out with. Feeling FA

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:35 pm

thesealocust wrote:If you're ordering from seamless, I recommend basing the order on grilled meat. Grilled chicken skewers from a Thai place, grilled chicken based Mexican dishes, grilled chicken sandwiches, etc. can all be satisfying delivery food and actually pretty healthy (high in protein/low in calories), especially if you try to get veggies or at least avoid things like sides of fries/chips/desert.

If you're bringing food from home, greek yogurt is awesomely healthy.

Salad with a good protein base such as a fish or chicken is also a good bet. Order two and save the other for lunch the next day. Diet is way more important than anything else.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:53 pm

legends159 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:If you're ordering from seamless, I recommend basing the order on grilled meat. Grilled chicken skewers from a Thai place, grilled chicken based Mexican dishes, grilled chicken sandwiches, etc. can all be satisfying delivery food and actually pretty healthy (high in protein/low in calories), especially if you try to get veggies or at least avoid things like sides of fries/chips/desert.

If you're bringing food from home, greek yogurt is awesomely healthy.

Salad with a good protein base such as a fish or chicken is also a good bet. Order two and save the other for lunch the next day. Diet is way more important than anything else.

but... but... bacon wrapped pineapple :(

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Got my first paycheck today....... finally, finally not feeling so broke.....

But I haven't been super busy...... which is terrifying.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:37 pm

rad lulz wrote:Fuck me I ate a bagel and a half today

Dat carbicide.

Anonymous User wrote:Got my first paycheck today....... finally, finally not feeling so broke.....

You really can't expect to hit the ground running. If the firm wasn't imploding before you arrive, the odds are they don't have 40+ hours per week worth of work ready to heave your way. These things take time, I wouldn't be too anxious about it if it's avoidable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote: But I haven't been super busy...... which is terrifying.

Enjoy it while it lasts. They will eventually figure out that you are there and have a lot of free time on your hands. In the mean time go spend some of that hard-earned money while you still have time to do it.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got my first paycheck today....... finally, finally not feeling so broke.....

This is why it sucks to be you and sucks to be me. We are miserable when we are busy and we are freaking out when we aren't.

One important thing to learn as you advance in your career is how to enjoy your downtime. You will otherwise burn out, even if you're gunning for partner. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:24 pm

I keep a bomb shelter in my office. Canned tuna, protein bars/powder, Craze, jerky. I also get up at 5 to lift before work. If anything my problem is eating enough to keep weight on, but everyone is different.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:26 pm

I start at the end of the month and we don't get our first check until the end of October. :shock: This is going to end well.

masterbrowski

Postby masterbrowski » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:31 pm

I remember what I ate seemed like it was really important during my SA. Now on bar break, and food is about 10th on my list of shit I think about. I attribute it to being able to do physical activity whenever I want, so that I don't really have to worry about my eating.

I don't know how I'm going to handle working at all. SA I gained a bunnnnch of weight.

masterbrowski

Postby masterbrowski » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:being in a new city sucks, really want to drink tonight but I have no one to hang out with. Feeling FA

There might be a sports bar designated as a meetup for fans of your city's NFL team this Sunday - that is, assuming the city you live in is big enough to have such things. Google it.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:being in a new city sucks, really want to drink tonight but I have no one to hang out with. Feeling FA

I feel the same. If you are perchance in DC, hit me up. Otherwise, maybe meetup.com? Its hit or a huge miss, but its worth a shot.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:33 am

You want me to just drive out there and have some drinks with you, bro?

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:00 am

snowpeach06 wrote:

I feel the same. If you are perchance in DC, hit me up. Otherwise, maybe meetup.com? Its hit or a huge miss, but its worth a shot.

BUT THERE'S SO MUCH TO DO IN THE DC METRO AREAAA

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:53 am

Drinking by yourself isn't a problem unless somebody sees you.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:59 am

Haha, I remember that terror.......give it time. Do you even have your license yet? They won't really bill you out until you do - so they won't want to give you billable work that someone else can do while charging the client the full rate. Took me over a year to get consistently busy, and the pattern continued as new associates joined the firm year after year. Seriously - just enjoy it while it lasts. Get outside. Enjoy your cash. Be available for new work, and it'll happen. Don't worry - someone who matters will be watching your billables, and you're right, they aren't paying you for nothing. Think of the attorneys in your firm as your customers. You have to do small jobs to earn their trust, then you get repeat business.
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Our billing software looks like a shitty Geocities webpage from 1993. I'm not sure if I logged my hours this week or not. Will have to check with accounting.

Love my office furniture and the break room having good coffee and sodas.

Still not sure if I'll reliably get enough work, but my gunning for projects will probably result in being totally pwnt three weeks from now.

I want dat first paycheck so bad... because I'm basically insolvent.

Like I said above - more likely it'll take a year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:53 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:

Haha, I remember that terror.......give it time. Do you even have your license yet? They won't really bill you out until you do - so they won't want to give you billable work that someone else can do while charging the client the full rate. Took me over a year to get consistently busy, and the pattern continued as new associates joined the firm year after year. Seriously - just enjoy it while it lasts. Get outside. Enjoy your cash. Be available for new work, and it'll happen. Don't worry - someone who matters will be watching your billables, and you're right, they aren't paying you for nothing. Think of the attorneys in your firm as your customers. You have to do small jobs to earn their trust, then you get repeat business.

Thanks. I appreciate that (and the comments above). The rational side of me knows this is the case. The neurotic in me is saying "don't spend your money, they won't put up with this shit for long". (this sounds like I'm cracking up more than I really am - I'm a little insecure, not totally panicked.)

fanlinxun

Postby fanlinxun » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:33 am

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:I start at the end of the month and we don't get our first check until the end of October. :shock: This is going to end well.

So you get paid monthly? Or is it common to not get paid until the end of the first month for the first month's paycheck. (Feeling less secure about my survival if this is true)

p1arnold

Postby p1arnold » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:I am absurdly broke.

Tell me about it. I'm at a firm with a business casual dress code but my SA firm required suits, so I am going to be really out of place until I have some funds. That first paycheck can't come soon enough. I probably should've just survived on the dollar pizza/free coke diet until payday.

why not just wear suit pants (can be mistaken for slacks) with a tucked in button down and no tie?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:55 am

fanlinxun wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:I start at the end of the month and we don't get our first check until the end of October. :shock: This is going to end well.

So you get paid monthly? Or is it common to not get paid until the end of the first month for the first month's paycheck. (Feeling less secure about my survival if this is true)

We got paid bi-weekly as summers but now get paid monthly as associates.

fanlinxun

Postby fanlinxun » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
fanlinxun wrote:

We got paid bi-weekly as summers but now get paid monthly as associates.

Ok, I feel a little better now, since I am sure my firm pays semimonthly. I was suddenly worried that they would pay like fast food jobs (always two weeks behind) Still, surviving to the middle of October is not going to be fun.
Last edited by fanlinxun on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”