New associate banter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IAFG

Re: New associate banter

Postby IAFG » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm feeling this.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:44 pm

People kept warning me that it would get temporarily worse before it got better once you got into the "knowing enough to be dangerous" "actually having to take responsibility for things" stage and out of the "where am I are you my mommy I need an adult" phase and I can kind of see where they were coming from...

Postby 20160810 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Got staffed on two projects yesterday and thought neat, guess I don't need to worry about making my hours for a bit. Got staffed on two more projects today. I now feel kinda dumb about wanting more work.

On the plus side about 3/4 of them are genuinely interesting cases.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Gonna do some billing from home

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:13 pm

SBL wrote:Gonna do some billing from home

After dinner?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:15 pm

Also, anyone dealing with converting from WL Next in LS to Lexis/Advance at work? Lexis' search bar feels like Ask Jeeves compared to WL's Google-like awesomeness. I feel like my research takes much longer than it should because Lexis is shit.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:15 pm

beach_terror wrote:
SBL wrote:Gonna do some billing from home

After dinner?

Before, even

Postby 20160810 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:16 pm

beach_terror wrote:Also, anyone dealing with converting from WL Next in LS to Lexis/Advance at work? Lexis' search bar feels like Ask Jeeves compared to WL's Google-like awesomeness. I feel like my research takes much longer than it should because Lexis is shit.

No thank god. I wouldn't fuck Lexis with Thesealocust's dick

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:18 pm

Ate dinner. Am not billing. Am, however, sipping on some Knob Creek. Will be glad when I am done with this bottle and pick up some Bulleit.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:27 pm

What are your firms like about telecommuting? I get that as a new dood who still needs to meet people and get projects face time is mission-critical, but eventually I feel like my work could be done anywhere I have the interbutts, so I'd love it if I could work a couple days a week from home. Pretty much no dice on that though (except weekends).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:59 pm

Billed an hour after dinner

I don't think anyone is actually gonna read this memo

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:26 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:First work related networking "reception" this evening. I don't know if I'm prepared for all the DC pomp and circumstance.

I went to one last week. Granted, I'm in Dallas, but I imagine the people are just as insufferable (maybe in different ways). I plastered a smile on my face and suffered through knowing that sooner or later they'll be paying for my house.

Also, I hate doing math in my hate. I'm not horrible at it, for some reason I just don't like doing it in my head. Partner gave my a hypo ($10,000,000 val cap and $10,000,000 shares offered) and asked me how much each share was. I paused for a second and then hesitantly said $1/share. He gave a smirk and then continued.

Yeah, These people were mostly insufferable. One woman turns around, sees me and asks if I work for the Senator (scene: a fundraiser at a fancy capitol hill town house with me, 15 very rich people and a Senator). I say "No, I work for..." and before I could even finish my sentence she turned and walked away without saying a word. I couldn't even believe it. I think the solution here is to just never go to one of these things again, no matter how impressive the guest list.

This happened to me too in DC! This was before law school when I was associated with a law firm. Political types in DC can be jerks. (I love DC and lots of people are awesome but lots of people there are just terrible.)

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:25 am

rad lulz wrote:Billed an hour after dinner

Samesies. Reading through an indictment now. Not billing this part tho.

Being at home makes work go down so much smoother.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:05 am

SBL wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Also, anyone dealing with converting from WL Next in LS to Lexis/Advance at work? Lexis' search bar feels like Ask Jeeves compared to WL's Google-like awesomeness. I feel like my research takes much longer than it should because Lexis is shit.

Thank goodness we stayed with Westlaw Next. Lexis is pure trash. I actually know someone whose firm has. ... Wait for it ... Regular Westlaw. I was embarrassed for him.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:21 am

reasonable_man wrote:
SBL wrote:

Thank goodness we stayed with Westlaw Next. Lexis is pure trash. I actually know someone whose firm has. ... Wait for it ... Regular Westlaw. I was embarrassed for him.

Why deal with any of that shit period? In transactional, you don't gotta know Lexis, Westlaw or even the fuckin' bluebook. I haven't cracked open that piece of shit since 1L year. Thank god.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:49 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
SBL wrote:

Why deal with any of that shit period? In transactional, you don't gotta know Lexis, Westlaw or even the fuckin' bluebook. I haven't cracked open that piece of shit since 1L year. Thank god.

I am constantly on there, because Any time you write something in lit you have to cite a source. Stupid opposing counsel not just taking my word for it. Don't know what those dudes' deal is.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:10 am

I mean I get the reason obviously, but I'm just saying fuck litigation in general.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:15 am

lol out by 5:30 every day.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:46 am

We have WL, regular Lexis, and Advance. Supposedly we are getting Next sometime soon, but I'll second that the transition has been very difficult. My research has gone to pure shit and it takes me a lot longer than usual. I only use Advance for the folders and because they gave us 60 days free, but when a client is charging for this stuff, I may go straight Westlaw.

iplulzer

Postby iplulzer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:21 am

SBL wrote:

why.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:27 am

iplulzer wrote:
SBL wrote:

why.

Yeah I bill that

That's time I need to familiarize myself w someone's case

If the partner wants to write it down, she can

But nice always heard "don't write down yourself"

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:27 am

Fresh Prince wrote:Why deal with any of that shit period? In transactional, you don't gotta know Lexis, Westlaw or even the fuckin' bluebook. I haven't cracked open that piece of shit since 1L year. Thank god.

+a million. I had to log in to westlaw exactly once in January and it was a dark day trying to even find a password.

iplulzer wrote:
SBL wrote:

why.

Yeah SBL, pretty sure billing for any time you spend - even if it's thinking/getting caught up - is expected for young associates. Time gets written off, but part of the system is keeping track of what you're up to and how busy you are, so I've heard plenty of stories of partners either being adamant about all that time going into the system or being grumpy if it didn't. Nobody expects you to be even close to efficient at the beginning.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:28 am

All we have is next

It's awesome

Also I LOVE the westlaw help line. So clutch.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:41 am

I bill absolutely everything even if I am delayed due to my own idiocy. The partner knows I am a 0th year.

stayway

Postby stayway » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:48 am

I don't bill so what do I know lol.

Return to “Legal Employment”