New associate banter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Unitas

Re: New associate banter

Postby Unitas » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:18 pm

worldtraveler wrote:I just had to call and beg my sister to cosign for an apartment for me because DC apartment buildings just do not understand people who have job offers but no paystubs yet. And the rent is going on my credit card until I get paid. I'm at a new financial low.

Getting a DC (Northern Virginia) place has been a disaster. Just fired my real estate lady since, among about 12 other reasons, she doesn't seem to understand I can't go drive around the houses to narrow down my list when I am 500 miles away. I asked her to find out average utility cost and she's like wait until you narrow down that list. Oh, and my list is only six places long so it isn't like I'm asking the world of her.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:31 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
moandersen wrote:
SBL wrote:Put 2 new suits on my credit card today. Considering I just started a white collar job, I'm incredibly poor.

Just put two suits on my card today. I dont start for a couple more weeks. Damn brooks brothers and their fantastic promotion.

plz expound on said promotion

It actually starts next week, but you can set aside suits until them. The deal is 2 for 1400 for their 1818 line. I needed a solid navy and a dark grey/charcoal so I got one of each (fitz fit). You may be able to find a better deal during one of their semi-annual sales, but the solid colored suits are almost never part of those sales from what I was told and from my experience searching the past two years. I figured it was about time to retire my crappy MW suits that I bought pre-law school...

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:43 pm

IAFG wrote:
stayway wrote:1st year in-house checking in. I'M. SO. BORED.

Oh the boredom, it is crippling

ahhhhhhhhhhh

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:45 pm

moandersen wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
moandersen wrote:
SBL wrote:Put 2 new suits on my credit card today. Considering I just started a white collar job, I'm incredibly poor.

Just put two suits on my card today. I dont start for a couple more weeks. Damn brooks brothers and their fantastic promotion.

plz expound on said promotion

It actually starts next week, but you can set aside suits until them. The deal is 2 for 1400 for their 1818 line. I needed a solid navy and a dark grey/charcoal so I got one of each (fitz fit). You may be able to find a better deal during one of their semi-annual sales, but the solid colored suits are almost never part of those sales from what I was told and from my experience searching the past two years. I figured it was about time to retire my crappy MW suits that I bought pre-law school...

You know if their shirts are also going on sale? That's not a terrible deal on 1818 suits. My wife managed to snag me a navy fitz for $500 on some fashion sale site once but that's unusual.

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:46 pm

we have no dress code. so im buying sneakers instead of dress shoes. this is a potential problem. maybe already a problem.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:You know if their shirts are also going on sale? That's not a terrible deal on 1818 suits. My wife managed to snag me a navy fitz for $500 on some fashion sale site once but that's unusual.

They didnt mention anything about a shirt sale coming up. Those usually happen during their summer/winter sale events.

500 is a steal. I need a couple suits by Oct and I felt 700 per was a fair price. Plus the alterations only cost me 20/suit.

Amity

Postby Amity » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:11 pm

rad lulz wrote:How the hell do these people think they can get off paying monthly. I am now very thankful for bimonthly

My firm doesn’t handle divorcees but an attorney did one as a favor for a lady client. Under support he said she would receive “X” amount bimonthly (meaning every other month) instead of semi-monthly (twice a month). Opps. Turned out to be an ordeal. Just saying…

ragelion

Postby ragelion » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:11 pm

stayway wrote:
IAFG wrote:
stayway wrote:1st year in-house checking in. I'M. SO. BORED.

Oh the boredom, it is crippling

ahhhhhhhhhhh

Spotify helps.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:13 pm

Amity wrote:
rad lulz wrote:How the hell do these people think they can get off paying monthly. I am now very thankful for bimonthly

My firm doesn’t handle divorcees but an attorney did one as a favor for a lady client. Under support he said she would receive “X” amount bimonthly (meaning every other month) instead of semi-monthly (twice a month). Opps. Turned out to be an ordeal. Just saying…

According to Merriam-Webster's, bimonthly means both every other month and twice a month. Therefore you probably shouldn't use it in a legal document at all. Just saying...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bimonthly

Amity

Postby Amity » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:28 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
Amity wrote:

According to Merriam-Webster's, bimonthly means both every other month and twice a month. Therefore you probably shouldn't use it in a legal document at all. Just saying...

Per your link... Full Definition of BIMONTHLY
1: occurring every two months
2: occurring twice a month : SEMIMONTHLY

Just saying .... if I am the opposition attorney, your client agreed to every other month.
Last edited by Amity on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:28 pm

moandersen wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:You know if their shirts are also going on sale? That's not a terrible deal on 1818 suits. My wife managed to snag me a navy fitz for $500 on some fashion sale site once but that's unusual.

They didnt mention anything about a shirt sale coming up. Those usually happen during their summer/winter sale events.

500 is a steal. I need a couple suits by Oct and I felt 700 per was a fair price. Plus the alterations only cost me 20/suit.

Seems like a solid buy to me. Might do it myself. It'd be nice if I could make my crappy student wardrobe last til January though....

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:38 pm

I'm dealin w my money woes by continuing to live w my folks after the bar.

dusk2k2

Postby dusk2k2 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Quick question. With all the talk of billing and working super hard, do lawyers still screw around on facebook or gchat at all? Or is it just constant work, work, work?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Unitas wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:I just had to call and beg my sister to cosign for an apartment for me because DC apartment buildings just do not understand people who have job offers but no paystubs yet. And the rent is going on my credit card until I get paid. I'm at a new financial low.

Getting a DC (Northern Virginia) place has been a disaster. Just fired my real estate lady since, among about 12 other reasons, she doesn't seem to understand I can't go drive around the houses to narrow down my list when I am 500 miles away. I asked her to find out average utility cost and she's like wait until you narrow down that list. Oh, and my list is only six places long so it isn't like I'm asking the world of her.

The building I'm trying to rent is making me verify that I graduated with a law degree, and won't accept a transcript that says "degree conferred" and is demanding a diploma. The weirdest part is it's really hard to fake a whole transcript but I'm pretty sure I could photoshop a diploma.

This is the worst experience I've ever had trying to find housing, including when I was looking for housing in places half a world away.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:17 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:Quick question. With all the talk of billing and working super hard, do lawyers still screw around on facebook or gchat at all? Or is it just constant work, work, work?

I'm not sure I've ever seen a lawyer's screen without one of gmail or facebook open.

Some lawyers even use TLS during business hours.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:23 pm

worldtraveler wrote:The building I'm trying to rent is making me verify that I graduated with a law degree, and won't accept a transcript that says "degree conferred" and is demanding a diploma. The weirdest part is it's really hard to fake a whole transcript but I'm pretty sure I could photoshop a diploma.

This is the worst experience I've ever had trying to find housing, including when I was looking for housing in places half a world away.
Sorry to hear, that really sucks. Do you have an offer letter for your upcoming job? That did the trick for me when I got my DC apartment in May, and I don't start until October.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:24 pm

rad lulz wrote:I'm dealin w my money woes by continuing to live w my folks after the bar.

That's just financially smart. Props.

Amity

Postby Amity » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:26 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:Quick question. With all the talk of billing and working super hard, do lawyers still screw around on facebook or gchat at all? Or is it just constant work, work, work?

It’s all work followed by a trip to the Ferrari dealer to insure a pleasant drive to their Mercer Island mansion. If they know anything about Facebook or internet message boards (they are doing a terrific job of keeping it a secret).

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Depends on the work you do, but most of them seem to gchat and take online shopping breaks or similar. I used to do that when studying, but then I basically lost my ability to "multitask" (screw around while working) last summer because with what I do you can basically only be doing the one thing. But then my friends in corporate would be like why are you not on gchat???

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:35 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:The building I'm trying to rent is making me verify that I graduated with a law degree, and won't accept a transcript that says "degree conferred" and is demanding a diploma. The weirdest part is it's really hard to fake a whole transcript but I'm pretty sure I could photoshop a diploma.

Sorry to hear, that really sucks. Do you have an offer letter for your upcoming job? That did the trick for me when I got my DC apartment in May, and I don't start until October.

Have an offer letter but I'm on a PI salary so it is not that impressive.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Amity wrote:

That had to be an awkward conversation with the client: "Umm yeah - we just agreed to an amount that's 75% less than what you were expecting." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:42 pm

Amity wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:
Amity wrote:

Per your link... Full Definition of BIMONTHLY
1: occurring every two months
2: occurring twice a month : SEMIMONTHLY

Just saying .... if I am the opposition attorney, your client agreed to every other month.

Examples of BIMONTHLY

The group holds bimonthly meetings in January, March, May, and so on.
The group holds bimonthly meetings on the first and third Tuesday of each month.

And...its construed against the drafter. So...I think l'd lose if I'd have written that...but I said I wouldn't put it in a legal document due to the ambiguity.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:47 pm

You guys are ruining this thread

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:50 pm

5ky wrote:You guys are ruining this thread

Is that really a surprise?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:42 pm