New associate banter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Re: New associate banter

Postby thesealocust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:51 am

keg411 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Got a few weeks til I start. Anything you first-year bros wish you did with your free time now that you're stuck in the office all day?

Other than the obvious "lol go to the gym and say goodbye to your loved ones" I'd recommend getting a start following the industry or industries you're likely to deal with, if you have that knowledge in advance.

Being able to respond to / discuss industry news can do a lot for your credibility early on.

This is probably a stupid question, but what's the best way to do that/find that information?

If you mean "find out the industry you'll be working in" I can't really help :lol: Some people just won't know (going to a very general firm) others know they're headed to a trusts & estates practice in Florida and so there's a much narrower universe.

If you're doing general corporate stuff for big firms, WSJ/dealbook/dealbreaker/whatever is probably good. But it's completely dependent on geography and practice area (though keeping up with bloomber/WSJ/CNBC/something is probably smart at any kind of law firm with corporate as opposed to individual clients).

Don't treat it like homework or something, just maybe ease into a routine of glancing at it now and then.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:57 am

jockinjay-z wrote:Got a question for doods. How often do yall get your clothes dry-cleaned? Also, when do when the time to do it....when I get off work usually, all the dry clean places are closed.

I just asked that question to my tailor and he said every three or so wears for both shirts and pants. I was pretty surprised to hear that concerning shirts. Previously Ive always got them cleaned after every wear.

Not sure where youre at, but many offices have a dry cleaners in the same building. Mine does so Ill be dropping off my clothes in the morning and pick them up either at the end of the work day or at lunch the next day.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:05 am

moandersen wrote:
jockinjay-z wrote:Got a question for doods. How often do yall get your clothes dry-cleaned? Also, when do when the time to do it....when I get off work usually, all the dry clean places are closed.

I just asked that question to my tailor and he said every three or so wears for both shirts and pants. I was pretty surprised to hear that concerning shirts. Previously Ive always got them cleaned after every wear.

Not sure where youre at, but many offices have a dry cleaners in the same building. Mine does so Ill be dropping off my clothes in the morning and pick them up either at the end of the work day or at lunch the next day.

I'd do max two wears for a shirt. No need to pay for dry-cleaning, just get wash and press. Why not drop off and pick up in the morning? Most places will be open by 7 or 8.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:14 am

I'm working at a mid-law gig. NYC - pay is under market (120K). Everyone leaves the office about 8PM everyday, Fridays about 630PM. Never weekend work.

I'm not really sure the tradeoff was worth it considering the hours arent much better than big law. Or, are they!? lol

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:28 am

thesealocust wrote:
keg411 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Got a few weeks til I start. Anything you first-year bros wish you did with your free time now that you're stuck in the office all day?

Other than the obvious "lol go to the gym and say goodbye to your loved ones" I'd recommend getting a start following the industry or industries you're likely to deal with, if you have that knowledge in advance.

Being able to respond to / discuss industry news can do a lot for your credibility early on.

This is probably a stupid question, but what's the best way to do that/find that information?

If you mean "find out the industry you'll be working in" I can't really help :lol: Some people just won't know (going to a very general firm) others know they're headed to a trusts & estates practice in Florida and so there's a much narrower universe.

If you're doing general corporate stuff for big firms, WSJ/dealbook/dealbreaker/whatever is probably good. But it's completely dependent on geography and practice area (though keeping up with bloomber/WSJ/CNBC/something is probably smart at any kind of law firm with corporate as opposed to individual clients).

Don't treat it like homework or something, just maybe ease into a routine of glancing at it now and then.

Thanks; I just meant how to go about finding specific information about industries other than if you're in a general banking/finance/securities/M&A practice where stuff like looking at WSJ/Dealbook is obvious. I'm doing the NYC BigLaw litigation thing, so I'm more on the broad end of the spectrum (I have an idea of some of the firm's biggest industries based on my SA, but even that knowledge is pretty limited, but it sounds like skimming the WSJ on occasion is fine).

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:36 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I was being a little shit? Uhh wat

I just find it odd that you assume everyone in here is in NYC biglaw. No need to get hostile duder.

Not assuming that at all. I am assuming most here are working in biglaw, though.

I know of only two firms in all of DC that provide dinner. AFAIK, it is primarily a NYC thing.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm working at a mid-law gig. NYC - pay is under market (120K). Everyone leaves the office about 8PM everyday, Fridays about 630PM. Never weekend work.

I'm not really sure the tradeoff was worth it considering the hours arent much better than big law. Or, are they!? lol

It Depends(TM).

The biggest drama with respect to biglaw isn't (usually) that you work 16+ hours per day. It's that if client needs require you too, there's an expectation that you will. If you're unlucky, that means you'll be in the office before sunrise and after sunset while responding to things during your limited time at home. Maybe that happens once per year, maybe that happens twice per month - but from what I can tell, nobody in "biglaw" (or probably any private law practice, really) is completely immune, the difference is just the regularity with which it occurs as a consequence of staffing levels and client sanity.

Joe Quincy wrote:I know of only two firms in all of DC that provide dinner. AFAIK, it is primarily a NYC thing.

Wait what? Really?

More like WashingTTTon D.C. amirite?

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:57 am

thesealocust wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:I know of only two firms in all of DC that provide dinner. AFAIK, it is primarily a NYC thing.

Wait what? Really?

More like people at my firm go home at 6:30-7 and bill from there. If we have to stay late, you can expense dinner to the client but they don't use a service...you just order somewhere and charge it to the corporate card.

The other firms I'm familiar with are similar.

Edit: Maybe I'm misunderstanding what Seamless is. Some of my NYC friends eat at their desks every night, get their dry cleaning delivered, etc. That level of service to keep you at your desk is definitley rare in DC.
Last edited by Joe Quincy on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:59 am

Joe Quincy wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I was being a little shit? Uhh wat

I just find it odd that you assume everyone in here is in NYC biglaw. No need to get hostile duder.

Not assuming that at all. I am assuming most here are working in biglaw, though.

I know of only two firms in all of DC that provide dinner. AFAIK, it is primarily a NYC thing.

If you mean have a cafeteria where people eat for free or highly subsidized then this might be true.. if you mean ability to order seamless after a certain time and bill it to the client (which is what people are talking about) then this definitely is not true.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Wait what? Really?

More like people at my firm go home at 6:30-7 and bill from there. If we have to stay late, you can expense dinner to the client but they don't use a service...you just order somewhere and charge it to the corporate card.

Edit: Maybe I'm misunderstanding what Seamless is. Some of my NYC friends eat at their desks every night, get their dry cleaning delivered, etc. That level of service to keep you at your desk is definitley rare in DC.

Seamless is just an online food ordering service. Anyone can use it (I'm surprised you haven't heard of it just from daily life actually). But businesses can get corporate accounts so employees can direct bill for food, so they don't have to pay out of pocket and the firm's accounting is easier. But it's the same principle as what you do.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:03 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Wait what? Really?

Seamless is just an online food ordering service. Anyone can use it (I'm surprised you haven't heard of it just from daily life actually). But businesses can get corporate accounts so employees can direct bill for food, so they don't have to pay out of pocket and the firm's accounting is easier. But it's the same principle as what you do.

I don't live in DC itself and my previous towns weren't served by it. I've only ever used GrubHub.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:06 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:I don't live in DC itself and my previous towns weren't served by it. I've only ever used GrubHub.

Ah yeah, well GrubHub is pretty much exactly the same thing. I think that both services are owned by the same company now, actually.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:02 pm

I don't wash my wool clothes ever basically. Only visible stains.

masterbrowski

Postby masterbrowski » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:54 pm

rad lulz wrote:I don't wash my wool clothes ever basically. Only visible stains.

cotton shirts = wash and press

wool suits and silk ties = dry clean

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:58 pm

What other dress shirts have a similar fit to Brooks Brothers extra slim fit and also are as perty without ironing?

Those are the only shirts that I like they way they fit, and look good with just washing. However, the selection is SUPER small.

masterbrowski

Postby masterbrowski » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:00 pm

phonepro wrote:What other dress shirts have a similar fit to Brooks Brothers extra slim fit and also are as perty without ironing?

Those are the only shirts that I like they way they fit, and look good with just washing. However, the selection is SUPER small.

i like the hugo boss slim fit shirts

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:37 pm

First work related networking "reception" this evening. I don't know if I'm prepared for all the DC pomp and circumstance.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:16 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:First work related networking "reception" this evening. I don't know if I'm prepared for all the DC pomp and circumstance.

I went to one last week. Granted, I'm in Dallas, but I imagine the people are just as insufferable (maybe in different ways). I plastered a smile on my face and suffered through knowing that sooner or later they'll be paying for my house.

Also, I hate doing math in my hate. I'm not horrible at it, for some reason I just don't like doing it in my head. Partner gave my a hypo ($10,000,000 val cap and $10,000,000 shares offered) and asked me how much each share was. I paused for a second and then hesitantly said $1/share. He gave a smirk and then continued.

aces

Postby aces » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:23 pm

masterbrowski wrote:
phonepro wrote:What other dress shirts have a similar fit to Brooks Brothers extra slim fit and also are as perty without ironing?

i like the hugo boss slim fit shirts

I like Charles Tyrwhitt shirts as well, especially with spread collars.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:11 pm

Some days it feels like this job demands superhuman speed, focus, intellect and pain tolerance just to tread water.

-.-

Bring on the bacon-wrapped pineapple seamless. My body is ready.

electricfeel

Postby electricfeel » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Partner just emailed me and said "Hope you are enjoying your last week of freedom. Expect to be VERY busy until December". Great :shock:

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:47 pm

electricfeel wrote:Partner just emailed me and said "Hope you are enjoying your last week of freedom. Expect to be VERY busy until December". Great :shock:

Better that than having shit to do bc your firm is in trouble

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Got told to go home today at 6:30 because I work too much. Love my firm. Crazy how I can go from worrying about having nothing to do one minute to stressing over whether I can meet the 8 new deadlines I got for assignments out of the blue though.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:37 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:First work related networking "reception" this evening. I don't know if I'm prepared for all the DC pomp and circumstance.

I went to one last week. Granted, I'm in Dallas, but I imagine the people are just as insufferable (maybe in different ways). I plastered a smile on my face and suffered through knowing that sooner or later they'll be paying for my house.

Also, I hate doing math in my hate. I'm not horrible at it, for some reason I just don't like doing it in my head. Partner gave my a hypo ($10,000,000 val cap and $10,000,000 shares offered) and asked me how much each share was. I paused for a second and then hesitantly said $1/share. He gave a smirk and then continued.

Yeah, These people were mostly insufferable. One woman turns around, sees me and asks if I work for the Senator (scene: a fundraiser at a fancy capitol hill town house with me, 15 very rich people and a Senator). I say "No, I work for..." and before I could even finish my sentence she turned and walked away without saying a word. I couldn't even believe it. I think the solution here is to just never go to one of these things again, no matter how impressive the guest list.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:37 am

masterbrowski wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I don't wash my wool clothes ever basically. Only visible stains.

cotton shirts = wash and press

wool suits and silk ties = dry clean

Don't dry clean silk ties unless you really trust the cleaner. Most will press it, which destroys the silk. Creased ties should ordinarily be steamed (using a $20-30 travel steamer), not dry cleaned.

Return to “Legal Employment”