New associate banter Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Old Gregg

Platinum

Re: New associate banter

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Uhh... OK...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:06 pm

Yeah it's pretty unusual for people to be at my office past 7-8 so we don't get Seamless. Wish we did tho.

I'm pretty grossly cheap and utilitarian with my eating tho. Tuna directly from the can at my desk is not uncommon. Just gotta get that protein.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:14 pm

I am constantly torn between "TSL, be grateful for your lot in life, Seamless is saving you money, can be quite healthy if you use it responsibly and is a generous perk" and "this policy is literally designed to make me choose thai food over having a life, keep my organs functioning against all odds late into the night, and is symbolic of this "lifestyle" choice, and gah."

I find it easy to contemplate doing other things, but I find it a little hard to sincerely whine about the job, as exhausting and stressful as it is. I just shut my eyes and think about my daily salary vs. my daily salary from prior gigs (unironic barista, science lab assistant, etc.).

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:16 pm

I wish I had seamless

I have so few friends it makes sense for me to get free office food

ragelion

Gold

Post by ragelion » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:22 pm

thesealocust wrote:I am constantly torn between "TSL, be grateful for your lot in life, Seamless is saving you money, can be quite healthy if you use it responsibly and is a generous perk" and "this policy is literally designed to make me choose thai food over having a life, keep my organs functioning against all odds late into the night, and is symbolic of this "lifestyle" choice, and gah."

I find it easy to contemplate doing other things, but I find it a little hard to sincerely whine about the job, as exhausting and stressful as it is. I just shut my eyes and think about my daily salary vs. my daily salary from prior gigs (unironic barista, science lab assistant, etc.).
I just get really expensive salads that I'd never buy with my own money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:35 pm

I get food I can eat with chopsticks, look at the window at the city at night, and pretend I'm on the west wing. It dulls the pain for a few minutes.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:41 pm

thesealocust wrote:I get food I can eat with chopsticks, look at the window at the city at night, and pretend I'm on the west wing. It dulls the pain for a few minutes.
You can eat anything w chopsticks really

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:45 pm

rad lulz wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I get food I can eat with chopsticks, look at the window at the city at night, and pretend I'm on the west wing. It dulls the pain for a few minutes.
You can eat anything w chopsticks really
Fine, food that comes with chopsticks in the bag from the delivery guy :lol:

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:39 am

rad lulz wrote:I wish I had seamless

I have so few friends it makes sense for me to get free office food
I'm in the exact same boat. When I go home it's basically OnDemand and a cold one, which is fine but I'd trade it for work and a tasty free dinner.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:18 am

SBL wrote:When I go home it's basically OnDemand and a cold one, which is fine but I'd trade it for work and a tasty free dinner.
What you're saying is pretty true if you have to work until 8 or 9, especially if it's now and then. Aain't nothin' wrong with hard work. It gets to be a stretch if you have to work until 10 or 11. Believe me, it's nowhere close to true if you're there past midnight, several days in a row, and it's not because you're gunning and trying to polish things it's because you're in furious triage mode with deadlines looming and there's no slack at all in the schedule.

Like, some nights seamless is cool, sometimes I actually begrudge the time it takes to get from the lobby and eat.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:36 am

As much as I like free meals, I think eating at home is far superior. I try to transition my work to home around 7pm every day. But I had to build trust for that :cry:

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Hey TSL can you repoast that speech where you said if I fail the bar I can still have a worthwhile and fulfilling life

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:18 pm

rad lulz wrote:Hey TSL can you repoast that speech where you said if I fail the bar I can still have a worthwhile and fulfilling life
I'd search my post history of my inbox weren't exploding deal-related shrapnel into my face right now.

TL;DR it's a dumb licensing test that you'll either pass or retake. Law-folk work themselves into a frenzy thinking it's some kind of measure of merit or final hurdle and add unnecessary pressure to themselves. People fail, retake, and pass - some fail and pursue other pursuits - but most people pass. No matter what happens, it's not a reflection of the beautiful, rad lulzy snowflake that you are.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:30 pm

rad lulz wrote:Hey TSL can you repoast that speech where you said if I fail the bar I can still have a worthwhile and fulfilling life
Every attorney who tells you "don't worry, you'll pass" remembers the moment of terror that accompanied checking whether they passed and knows it could have gone either way. The first one is definitely a freebie. If you fail, the only thing you damage is your ego.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:As much as I like free meals, I think eating at home is far superior. I try to transition my work to home around 7pm every day. But I had to build trust for that :cry:
I just think free meals at work would be awesome for me because I get stressed out or into a groove and forget to eat enough protein. When I first started clerking (and thus was terrible and took 80 hours to do 40 hours worth of work) I lost like 15 pounds.

I don't know if I'd make it at a more hardcore firm though. I can work until 7-8 like it's nothing, and even sometimes enjoy it, but for me 9:00 is the witching hour where if I'm not home I'm in a bad mood.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:40 pm

thesealocust wrote:
I'd search my post history of my inbox weren't exploding deal-related shrapnel into my face right now.

TL;DR it's a dumb licensing test that you'll either pass or retake. Law-folk work themselves into a frenzy thinking it's some kind of measure of merit or final hurdle and add unnecessary pressure to themselves. People fail, retake, and pass - some fail and pursue other pursuits - but most people pass. No matter what happens, it's not a reflection of the beautiful, rad lulzy snowflake that you are.
Thanks man, I appreciate that. 2 week countdown has been eating at my nerves.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:41 pm

SBL wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:As much as I like free meals, I think eating at home is far superior. I try to transition my work to home around 7pm every day. But I had to build trust for that :cry:
I just think free meals at work would be awesome for me because I get stressed out or into a groove and forget to eat enough protein. When I first started clerking (and thus was terrible and took 80 hours to do 40 hours worth of work) I lost like 15 pounds.

I don't know if I'd make it at a more hardcore firm though. I can work until 7-8 like it's nothing, and even sometimes enjoy it, but for me 9:00 is the witching hour where if I'm not home I'm in a bad mood.
DON'T NEED TO BE IN A GOOD MOOD TO BILL GET BACK TO WORK

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:49 pm

SBL wrote:

At least at my firm, it seems like the odds of both getting to bill your dinner and getting home before 9 is pretty small.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:13 am

SBL wrote:

I noticed last night my mood changed at 9 on the dot.

Also, after getting home and dealing with home shit, I got to sleep by midnight and then woke up at 4:30 with the baby and can't go back to sleep. Today at work will be a blast.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:35 am

For me it was a 7:00 am email whose title began "URGENT" - at least they were polite enough to not toss on the red exclamation mark flag?

I'm pretty sure babies waking up screaming takes the cake, but clients waking up scream-emailing is also not the best way to start a Tuesday :lol:

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:51 am

Got a few weeks til I start. Anything you first-year bros wish you did with your free time now that you're stuck in the office all day?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:06 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Got a few weeks til I start. Anything you first-year bros wish you did with your free time now that you're stuck in the office all day?
Other than the obvious "lol go to the gym and say goodbye to your loved ones" I'd recommend getting a start following the industry or industries you're likely to deal with, if you have that knowledge in advance.

Being able to respond to / discuss industry news can do a lot for your credibility early on.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:16 am

thesealocust wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Got a few weeks til I start. Anything you first-year bros wish you did with your free time now that you're stuck in the office all day?
Other than the obvious "lol go to the gym and say goodbye to your loved ones" I'd recommend getting a start following the industry or industries you're likely to deal with, if you have that knowledge in advance.

Being able to respond to / discuss industry news can do a lot for your credibility early on.
This is probably a stupid question, but what's the best way to do that/find that information?

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:32 am

keg411 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

This is probably a stupid question, but what's the best way to do that/find that information?
Get an online subscription to the Wall Street Journal, BusinessWeek, and other similar publications. You can also check those articles out on your Lexis and Westlaw while in school.

jockinjay-z

New

Post by jockinjay-z » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:42 am

Got a question for doods. How often do yall get your clothes dry-cleaned? Also, when do when the time to do it....when I get off work usually, all the dry clean places are closed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”