New associate banter Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: New associate banter

Post by thesealocust » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:09 pm

masterbrowski wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do most of you intend on coming into work the day after thanksgiving? I currently am in NY but family is in CA. Am considering flying out Wed. night and coming back Saturday or Saunday. While the firm I work for isn't discouraging associates from making these plans, its not really encouraging it either.
I'd just make the plans and make sure the people you work with know. Worst case is they need you to work remotely. I don't think anyone will ever encourage you to take time off, seems like it's probably up to you to take the initiative and make sure there isn't a conflict.

How many days does the avg 1st or 2nd year associate take off for Xmas? I know you're all about to say "well it depends on if they have a lot of work..." but I'm just looking for an average. Barring legal emergencies, are the 24th and 25th generally safe?
0?

The 25th is probably safe at basically any firm baring emergencies, so it won't be a "day off" so much as a firm holiday. This year the 25th is a Wednesday and so a lot of firms are still open on the 24th, and as a junior associate your odds of being able to take proper vacation around the holidays are zilch.

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Post by mr. wednesday » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:24 pm

I'm hoping that my office will be closed around the holidays and I'll be able to work from home. But if it's not, I plan on being there the 24th and 26th.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:57 am

My firm told the first years that we're free to try to take some vacation days around the holidays if we don't have work. That's pretty much the policy for trying to take a vacation day at any time, except that since everyone else will be trying to get those days off, you're more likely to get stuck with work while other people vacation.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:36 am

I'm taking vacation the whole week. YOLO brothers.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:53 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm going to try to work from the road.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:30 pm

thesealocust wrote:You probably bill clients around $300/hour (or more!) for your services. How much are you allowed to bill for dinner? How many minutes extra do you have to bill per day to "pay" for the meal?

Associate Pro Tip: the firm is buying you dinner because it keeps you grinding. Dinner is a very cheap and effective way to exploit their bottomless pool of labor. It's a bit of cheese that gets you to spin your wheel faster and longer. Nightly Pad Thai delivery is a very profitable investment on the firm's part.

my firm only pays dinner if you log more than 11 hours for the day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Just curious, do NYC biglaw attorneys really work (not bill) ~80 hrs/week?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious, do NYC biglaw attorneys really work (not bill) ~80 hrs/week?
Sometimes. Not all of the time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:37 pm

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just curious, do NYC biglaw attorneys really work (not bill) ~80 hrs/week?

Someone told he got out of office at 9ish on a good day. That was maybe 10, 15 yrs ago.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:

Someone told he got out of office at 9ish on a good day. That was maybe 10, 15 yrs ago.
Okay. You don't work 80+ hours a week for 50 weeks a year, though.

Bear in mind that half the people at my firm get in at 10-10:30, so leaving at 9 would be like leaving at 7:30 if you had a job that started at 8:30.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Also, nobody tells stories or has strong memories of their normal/slow days/weeks.

You only hear the war stories.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:09 am

thesealocust wrote:Also, nobody tells stories or has strong memories of their normal/slow days/weeks.

You only hear the war stories.
Currently having some down time and loving EVERY minute of it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:39 am

Currently hurtling towards a 270-hour month. I should be a real joy at Thanksgiving.

KeepitKind

Bronze

Post by KeepitKind » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:03 pm

wiseowl wrote:Currently hurtling towards a 270-hour month. I should be a real joy at Thanksgiving.
first-year? 270 projected for your second or third month?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:43 pm

KeepitKind wrote:
wiseowl wrote:Currently hurtling towards a 270-hour month. I should be a real joy at Thanksgiving.
I am a second year. I sincerely suggest that you all that are firsties enjoy, nay cherish, every second of this holiday season. The game is different 2nd year onward.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:13 pm

wiseowl wrote:
KeepitKind wrote:
I am a second year. I sincerely suggest that you all that are firsties enjoy, nay cherish, every second of this holiday season. The game is different 2nd year onward.
TMFCR. The only advice I ever give to anyone is to enjoy the downtime.

Work pounded my angus last holiday season (well, actually more like the last 11 months). This one is shaping up to be merry and bright.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fearESQ

New

Post by fearESQ » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:13 pm

billable hours.. i can't imagine :(

masterbrowski

New

Post by masterbrowski » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:
masterbrowski wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do most of you intend on coming into work the day after thanksgiving? I currently am in NY but family is in CA. Am considering flying out Wed. night and coming back Saturday or Saunday. While the firm I work for isn't discouraging associates from making these plans, its not really encouraging it either.
I'd just make the plans and make sure the people you work with know. Worst case is they need you to work remotely. I don't think anyone will ever encourage you to take time off, seems like it's probably up to you to take the initiative and make sure there isn't a conflict.

How many days does the avg 1st or 2nd year associate take off for Xmas? I know you're all about to say "well it depends on if they have a lot of work..." but I'm just looking for an average. Barring legal emergencies, are the 24th and 25th generally safe?
0?

The 25th is probably safe at basically any firm baring emergencies, so it won't be a "day off" so much as a firm holiday. This year the 25th is a Wednesday and so a lot of firms are still open on the 24th, and as a junior associate your odds of being able to take proper vacation around the holidays are zilch.
And here I was thinking I could leave the state for a couple days. I've got the ticket, got the trip insurance... Thinking I'll just play it by ear. I worked remotely while I traveled during the summer, and it panned out OK for me.

If I have to work Christmas I'm going to expense a roast goose to the firm.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:49 pm

I feel like trip insurance never pays out except in the most particular circumstances. And I'm pretty sure being called into work isn't one of then, but could be wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:25 am

Sorry if this is a stupid question -- still a 3L -- just curious.

I know this varies by firm, but if your firm has a structure where you get the Cravath bonus at 2000, but then other bonuses at a few hundred hours more (let's say $10k at 2200), does that mean that if you bill 2199, you just worked a ton more hours, but still don't get a dime more than your base salary plus the Cravath bonus, or do firms have ways to compensate for this (e.g. pro-rate what the bonus above that would be)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:50 am

zweitbester wrote:I feel like trip insurance never pays out except in the most particular circumstances. And I'm pretty sure being called into work isn't one of then, but could be wrong.
Many firms will make you whole if they need you during a scheduled vacation.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question -- still a 3L -- just curious.

I know this varies by firm, but if your firm has a structure where you get the Cravath bonus at 2000, but then other bonuses at a few hundred hours more (let's say $10k at 2200), does that mean that if you bill 2199, you just worked a ton more hours, but still don't get a dime more than your base salary plus the Cravath bonus, or do firms have ways to compensate for this (e.g. pro-rate what the bonus above that would be)?
Yes in nearly all cases.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:56 am

quakeroats wrote:
zweitbester wrote:I feel like trip insurance never pays out except in the most particular circumstances. And I'm pretty sure being called into work isn't one of then, but could be wrong.
Many firms will make you whole if they need you during a scheduled vacation.
Only if the client is willing to foot the bill.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:34 am

Last edited by BeenDidThat on Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”