New associate banter Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IAFG

Platinum

Re: New associate banter

Post by IAFG » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:14 pm

run26.2 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:Potentially dumb Q: Anyone buy a desktop for work at home? Assuming you have the $$, thoughts?
I got a Mac Mini because it takes up less space and does everything I need. I have 2 monitors running through it, 1 vertical, 1 horizontal.
I want this.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:18 pm

IAFG wrote:
run26.2 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:Potentially dumb Q: Anyone buy a desktop for work at home? Assuming you have the $$, thoughts?
I got a Mac Mini because it takes up less space and does everything I need. I have 2 monitors running through it, 1 vertical, 1 horizontal.
I want this.
It was *relatively* cheap. I actually got one that was in great condition off eBay, and picked up 2 high res dell monitors from CL. The whole setup was under 1K.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Least dumb question ever.
<-- blushing
thesealocust wrote:My desktop at home with 2 monitors has meant a lot more sleep and freedom - my favorite trick is sending out drafts of deal documents from home in the morning before leaving for the office. Commute is often just long enough to arrive to comments or signoff from the client 8)
Do you also find need for a printer and/or shredder? Thanks. edit: same Q to other poasters w/ desktop
I do have both of these things, but I hardly print work material at home. If I print anything, I do it at work. Then I take it back to work and dispose of it there.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:23 pm

run26.2 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
run26.2 wrote:
I want this.
It was *relatively* cheap. I actually got one that was in great condition off eBay, and picked up 2 high res dell monitors from CL. The whole setup was under 1K.
How big a PITA/much money would it be to get a set up like this at home but with a laptop docking deal instead?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:27 pm

I have a Mac Pro (that I plan to upgrade to the trash can in December) with the biggest Apple Cinema Display. All the room it takes up, plus the desk, please my desk chair, and the room they sit in are also tax deductible. My home office has already paid for itself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:34 pm

I don't have a scanner, but I've heard that it plus a printer can be a huge quality of life improvement for some transactional practices.

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:49 pm

run26.2 wrote:
what is point of one vertical one horizontal?

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:00 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote: How big a PITA/much money would it be to get a set up like this at home but with a laptop docking deal instead?
Probably a bit more in price, I would guess, simply because I would tend to want to buy a new laptop. If I were going used, I would want at least Intel HD-3000 graphics (certain Sandy Bridge processors had this).

I haven't looked at Lenovo's new laptops, but I would guess you could find something there that would meet your needs in the $900 range, including the docking station. Then you would have to spring for the monitors ($150-200 each used in good condition). Just make sure Lenovo's docking stations support higher res displays, if that's the route you want to go.

ETA: According to Wikipedia, all mobile Sandy Bridge processors have HD 3000 graphics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge). But you should double check that. I have one of these processors in a laptop connected to a docking station that drives 2 hi-res external monitors.
Last edited by run26.2 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Headybrah wrote:
run26.2 wrote:
what is point of one vertical one horizontal?
You can put multiple (at least 3 on a high res) docs next to one another on the horizontal one. The vertical one is used to read long docs, so you're not constantly pushing page down, or to keep several long blocks of text in view on top of one another. It is a modest advantage to 2 monitors set up horizontally, IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:13 pm

For the past four years or so, I've had an iMac with a dual monitor setup because of my graphics background. I love it for personal stuff, loved it for school, and think it will go over well with work stuff too once our training is over.

Edited because grammar eludes me.
Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Post by mr. wednesday » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:50 pm

I get a work laptop (and am not allowed to do any work on any other computer--even access email) so I got a second monitor and a docking station for home. I thought I would be annoyed because I like really large screens, but laptop screen + second monitor works great. I just plug in the laptop to the dock and the mouse, keyboard and monitor all connect right away. Plus it's nice to never transfer any documents from one place to another.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:02 pm

I have remote access but I have used yet.

I will often print cases to read at home or find cases at home to read in the morning though

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:06 am

thesealocust wrote:I don't have a scanner, but I've heard that it plus a printer can be a huge quality of life improvement for some transactional practices.
This is very true. I have a desktop in the office, with a laptop, large second monitor, and printer/scanner at home. The scanner is key to work from home, since many times I need to mark-up a document and send it out (note, my scanner is the feed-through kind, which is so much better than the "lay page flat, put down cover, scan and repeat" kind). I don't have a shredder nor do I really have a need for one -- anything I print which is confidential I just bring to the office the next day and drop it in the shredding box there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:11 am

Any scanner that's not feed through is crap

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:23 am

Speaking of computer stuff, anyone here looking at comfort/ergonomics stuff?

Good wrist cushion/pads? Split keyboards?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:30 am

Working on a response to a statement of facts. Our only soft copy is PDF, and not the kind that was converted from Word...the kind that was like faxed/scanned in.

Guess I have to retype all the facts opposing counsel laid out manually. Joke should be on him though, because it's accompanying a motion for attorney's fees, and we should win.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:32 am

Great Satchmo wrote:Speaking of computer stuff, anyone here looking at comfort/ergonomics stuff?

Seconded. Need this shit, although my desk doesn't have a great setup for a keyboard anyway. It's at just the wrong height.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:47 am

das keyboard

/endthread.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:45 pm

The lack of feedback is a little weird after coming from school. Hard to know what the people assigning me work think of me so far. But some of them are coming back with more, so I suppose that means I'm not a total incompetent.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:The lack of feedback is a little weird after coming from school. Hard to know what the people assigning me work think of me so far. But some of them are coming back with more, so I suppose that means I'm not a total incompetent.
That's right. There's your feedback right there. As long as you're being continuously challenged, it's a strong signal of advancement.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:18 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:Speaking of computer stuff, anyone here looking at comfort/ergonomics stuff?

I need one of those back support thing to ensure I sit with good posture. Don't wanna be slouching all day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:39 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:das keyboard

/endthread.
Yessss. I love my Das Keyboard (though my first one crapped out on me, so the build quality might not really be there...)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:57 pm

thesealocust wrote:

/endthread.
Yessss. I love my Das Keyboard (though my first one crapped out on me, so the build quality might not really be there...)
Do either of you guys got the "no letters on the keys" one?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

/endthread.
Do either of you guys got the "no letters on the keys" one?
Yep. My greatest accomplishment was about 10 minutes late Christmas Eve 2009 when I was ranked #1 on typeracer.com (noted the time because it was, shall we say, 'off peak hours').

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I heard some firms used to give out technology stipends. Damn ITE!!!
Some still do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”