New associate banter Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

Re: New associate banter

Post by 20160810 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:53 am

Just got home. Just in time to have a glass of milk, brush my teeth, and go to sleep.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:55 am

SBL wrote:Just got home. Just in time to have a glass of milk, brush my teeth, and go to sleep.
Dude I got hit with short term project this afternoon

Trial approacheth for one of the partners and sr associates

I'm working at home

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:54 am

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:The suggestion was do to things in bigger chunks so instead of .1 email, turn that into a .3 something more substantive.
Just roll in into whatever bigger thing you're doing on the matter.
Right, that's what I am saying
When a firm doesn't allow you to block bill, does that mean they are trying to get you to stuff like this:

.25 hours - email - really took 5 minutes
.25 hours -reviewed draft - really took 5 minutes
.25 made phonecall - really took 2 minutes.

BAM 12 minutes into 45.
Believe it or not a lot of times it's the clients who demand this ridiculous level of specificity. I have both types of clients and hands down clients that accept block billing get more value per dollar.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:02 am

thesealocust wrote:Random life pro-tip: there are many things in life that you will need before you realize that you need them.

Non-law firm example:

* Plunger. Your life is going to be better if you have it before you need it.

Law firm examples:

* Remote computer access. Can you access files? Move them to your computer? Run blacklines, access legal research, etc.? Navigate on your laptop and/or with multiple monitors as applicable? All the passwords in order and accessible? Can you access firm email from a browser if need be?

* Firm voice mail. Can you access it remotely? Have the password? Set up a greeting with your name?

* Finance and travel. Do you have a credit card? Does it have a reasonable limit for life as an associate who may need to travel? Do you have a passport? Is it expiring soon?
All good advice. I keep a drop box account as an emergency back up and it has a document on it that lists vital passwords, my access info for state and fed court e filing, and access info for research and firm wide systems. Only 3 people can access it - my secretary, my paralegal and myself. I trust the first two people more than the third, so it works. Maybe not the safest system but I always have access to what I need when I need it. During Sandy, this saved my ass as I got adjournments on 2 appellate briefs so I could clean shit up at home (and could not access the office because it was downtown and flooded and had no power).

Jessep

New

Post by Jessep » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:21 am

reasonable_man wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Random life pro-tip: there are many things in life that you will need before you realize that you need them.

Non-law firm example:

Law firm examples:

* Remote computer access. Can you access files? Move them to your computer? Run blacklines, access legal research, etc.? Navigate on your laptop and/or with multiple monitors as applicable? All the passwords in order and accessible? Can you access firm email from a browser if need be?

* Firm voice mail. Can you access it remotely? Have the password? Set up a greeting with your name?

* Finance and travel. Do you have a credit card? Does it have a reasonable limit for life as an associate who may need to travel? Do you have a passport? Is it expiring soon?
All good advice. I keep a drop box account as an emergency back up and it has a document on it that lists vital passwords, my access info for state and fed court e filing, and access info for research and firm wide systems. Only 3 people can access it - my secretary, my paralegal and myself. I trust the first two people more than the third, so it works. Maybe not the safest system but I always have access to what I need when I need it. During Sandy, this saved my ass as I got adjournments on 2 appellate briefs so I could clean shit up at home (and could not access the office because it was downtown and flooded and had no power).
Not trying to be a jerk, but drop box is notoriously unsecure - there are tons of articles and webinars out there strongly discouraging its use for data rooms or other sensitive information. If these passwords allow you access to confidential client information, I would strongly suggest an alternate route. I just don't want to see you get into trouble.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:19 am

romothesavior wrote: I agree. This is kinda silly.

I mean, don't get me wrong, some partners are better at explaining things than others. But for the ones who are unclear, you just gotta ask.
I know you guys think I am being ridiculous, but I really cannot convey how bad my boss is at conveying things. Myself and my assistant understand about 20% of what he says. At the end of every meeting, we have a separate meeting trying to cobble together what we both got out of it. Hence, I'm fairly sure asking for clarification is useless. If I recorded one of our 2-3 hour long meetings, you guys would wonder how my boss continues to function in society. I think old age has destroyed his brain.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:48 am

Non-law firm example:

Law firm examples:

Sealocust, if you wanted to launch an alternative career as a life coach/inspirational speaker, I'd hire you.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:01 am

Got invited to the President (owner of the company I'm corporate counsel)'s house for dinner last night.

6 car garages (Panorama, Cayenne, M-Class, S-Class, MDX, ZDX), a maid and a cook.

He's definitely not paying me enough. #helpmewithmyloansplease

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:19 am

stayway wrote:Got invited to the President (owner of the company I'm corporate counsel)'s house for dinner last night.

6 car garages (Panorama, Cayenne, M-Class, S-Class, MDX, ZDX), a maid and a cook.

You'll definitely love it if/when one of your clients flies you on their private jet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:23 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
stayway wrote:Got invited to the President (owner of the company I'm corporate counsel)'s house for dinner last night.

You'll definitely love it if/when one of your clients flies you on their private jet.
The company isn't private jet status yet but LoL I'd prefer a higher salary + stock options. For now, I'm confused as to what the fuck I'm doing since it's my 1st year out of LS. Doing all types of random shit along the way. smh

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:58 am

stayway wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

The company isn't private jet status yet but LoL I'd prefer a higher salary + stock options. For now, I'm confused as to what the fuck I'm doing since it's my 1st year out of LS. Doing all types of random shit along the way. smh
Yes, salary + stock options is great, but I mean as a biglaw associate. Nothing better than leaving your crummy NYC apartment to go on a private jet hahaha.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
stayway wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

Yes, salary + stock options is great, but I mean as a biglaw associate. Nothing better than leaving your crummy NYC apartment to go on a private jet hahaha.
hahah enjoy the big law salary man...I wish I had it (granted I get off work at 5:30 + no weekend work)

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Suck up to rich people, and they will theoretically help you get rich.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:17 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Suck up to rich people, and they will theoretically help you get rich.
Theoretically.

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:49 pm

pretty sure it doesn't happen that way

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:06 pm

lukertin wrote:pretty sure it doesn't happen that way
My few awkward DC networking experiences led me to believe it works. You become BFFs with someone rich, and they get you a high paying job. I mean, worth a shot. haha.

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:18 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
My few awkward DC networking experiences led me to believe it works. You become BFFs with someone rich, and they get you a high paying job. I mean, worth a shot. haha.
DC is full of people making low 6's. Not exactly the path to getting 'rich', assuming you snag one of these jobs. Sure, you may be a millionaire, as in have a million bucks in the bank, when you retire (assuming you didn't squander your income on stupid shit trying to "keep up with the Joneses" -- LOL at this for DC) but that ain't 'rich'.

DC, for the most part, is devoid of people who actually create value. Value is created in places like NYC, Boston, Cal, Texas. If you want to get rich you go there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:32 pm

lukertin wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
DC is full of people making low 6's. Not exactly the path to getting 'rich', assuming you snag one of these jobs. Sure, you may be a millionaire, as in have a million bucks in the bank, when you retire (assuming you didn't squander your income on stupid shit trying to "keep up with the Joneses" -- LOL at this for DC) but that ain't 'rich'.

DC, for the most part, is devoid of people who actually create value. Value is created in places like NYC, Boston, Cal, Texas. If you want to get rich you go there.
I'm trying the theoretical part out right now. So far it's been a month. My job doesn't pay "biglaw" mainly because I'm in-house (the only one at that lolol). I report straight to the president and also his bitch. So hopefully he ends up liking me a lot and paying me a lot theoretically.

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:54 pm

I am entering the fray. I believe I'm considered a new associate because I just started a few months ago ('12 grad). Great thread.

I think I can say with certainty that I belong to a relatively eccentric firm. Please tell me its not normal for a partner at the firm to routinely dress up in costume for trade shows. Or that its weird to give prospective clients a survey where they name their favorite color and the like.

Its Friday and I need some validation people!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:22 pm

Going to go ahead and award that "not normal" out of 10 points.

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Are you sure you work at a law firm and not a clown association?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:43 pm

thesealocust wrote:Going to go ahead and award that "not normal" out of 10 points.
Winning.
lukertin wrote:Are you sure you work at a law firm and not a clown association?
I'm starting to wonder... A job's a job, I guess ITE. Needless to say, I make sure that I am out of the office and working remotely quite often (which I have the luxury of doing, fortunately). Its a small firm but the partner (hell, just call him the managing director) wants to expand. I may be a shit head, know-nothing associate but I don't think the costume thing is a good idea.

The big question is will it impact my future career options. Don't plan on staying at this firm forever.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:45 pm

Getting all my MCLE hours done in two days. Some of these presentations are legitimately interesting, but the "elimination of bias" section is brutal. Met some really chill bros in my field though. As toolish as it can be, networking is kinda fun. I'm in a really nerdy field (even by law standards), so it is chill to meet with other people who are into it.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:47 pm

What kinds of costumes is he dressing up in?

ETA: Also, while my firm isn't as eccentric as yours, we're currently playing "Get Lucky" throughout the office. Fridays usually end like this--beer and music.

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:48 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:What kinds of costumes is he dressing up in?
Without getting too specific, it is a soldier's costume (think WWII).

I'd take beer and music over costume and awkward questionnaires any day.

Oh yeah did I mention the secretary (who has a sum total of < 1 year legal experience) think she knows it all? She could be a gunner, its crazy the amount of brown-nosing that goes on. At least there aren't any other associates that are gunning in the same way.
Last edited by studebaker07 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”