New associate banter Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: New associate banter

Post by thesealocust » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Just got out of a meeting with like 8 people and no particular emergency.

This, my friends, is a lifestyle choice.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:48 pm

thesealocust wrote:Just got out of a meeting with like 8 people and no particular emergency.

I love office meetings. Probably my favorite part of the day.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:53 pm

beach_terror wrote:I love office meetings
Including those that end at 8:15 pm? :lol:

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:58 pm

thesealocust wrote:Just got out of a meeting with like 8 people and no particular emergency.

At least you get a free dinner?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:03 pm

thesealocust wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I love office meetings
Including those that end at 8:15 pm? :lol:
Better than grinding away in your office, yeah?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:09 pm

In a lot of ways, yeah. I'm full of conflict... I like and/or love a lot of what I do, and in a lot of ways the more I do the more I like it and the less it hurts.

But the trade of is rest of life... whizzing by without noticing.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Billing after dinner

Well technically it's non-billable marketing-type research for a partner

Yet here I am

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:22 pm

thesealocust wrote:rest of life... whizzing by without noticing.
This. So. Much. This.

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Anyone recommend any books on how to be good first year associate or like how to do well in the law world?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:44 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:rest of life... whizzing by without noticing.
This. So. Much. This.
I just took 8 months off to smell the roses or whatever and you're really not missing much.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:39 pm

I need to inspect 2.5 terabytes of documents. Looks like I will be meeting my billable hours requirements.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Headybrah wrote:Anyone recommend any books on how to be good first year associate or like how to do well in the law world?
This book isn't half bad (at least in the 100 pages or so that I read). I don't think it gives you anything groundbreaking, and the only reason I have it is because I had to use Westlaw points on something. It gives you a lot of the same advice that you'll hear from any lawyer, but it puts it in a pretty good format.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:At my big firm, V10, we have to account for a certain amount of time per day, be it non-billable or billable. If I have enough billable time to cover the minimums, I don't bother with the non-billables unless they're important like recruiting, etc.
Exactly how I roll - minus the V10 thing :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Post by mr. wednesday » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:22 am

Headybrah wrote:Anyone recommend any books on how to be good first year associate or like how to do well in the law world?
People always seem to recommend The Curmudgeon's Guide to Practicing Law. It wasn't that applicable to my job but I could see it being helpful.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:23 am

Given what a sham non billable hours are (lunch with friends? MARKETING!) I just don't understand what the benefit of tracking them is

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:39 am

I use "marketing" when partners want me to help em prepare for pitches n shit. It may not be "billable," but by golly if the partners told me to do it it must be worth something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At my big firm, V10, we have to account for a certain amount of time per day, be it non-billable or billable. If I have enough billable time to cover the minimums, I don't bother with the non-billables unless they're important like recruiting, etc.
Interesting. It's weird that stuff like this never gets discussed, when comparing firms. Cause I would absolutely avoid this [highlighted] like the plague if I could help it.
Huh? Why?
because i would resent this level of control over my life.* it's one thing to require a certain amount of billables a year, or even per month. it's entirely another to require a certain amount of hours a day. as long as i am meeting my deadlines, i want to be able to work 16h one day and 4h the next without anyone breathing down my neck (see face time requirements, a related concept). i personally place a huge value on this sort of flexibility, and it's critical to my quality of life.

there are plenty of firms (including biglaw) where no one cares how many hours you put in day to day as long as you meet your yearly goals.

i hope i am not derailing this thread from its intended purpose. i was just curious about the differences between billing requirements.

(*) yes i know all about biglaw vs "control over my life". they are not all the same.
At my firm, the system will auto-send you an alert every Tuesday if you haven't entered 8 hours of billable and/or non-billable time into the system for any weekday the previous week as a reminder to put in your hours. The email comes with an explicit note that it's not a problem if you in fact did less than 8 hours of billable + nonbillable work on a given day but that it's just a reminder to make sure you're entered in all your time promptly. All the senior associates I asked about it told me that noone is watching over my shoulder or checking my billing records or anything and many of them just ignore the message and enter their time whenever they have a chance to, even if that's sometimes days or weeks afterwards.

So the goal is not necessarily to make sure you're at your desk for eight hours a day or anything, but often just for housekeeping purposes. Non-billable codes are a bitch to keep track of though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:59 am

I feel like entering non-billable time should only be necessary if you haven't entered 8 hours of billable time. Logging the 30 minutes you spent reading law review articles on the shitter seems silly if you billed 8-9 hours of actual work that day.

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:35 am

thanks for book suggestions.

do you count time you get up and poo towards billable time?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:28 am

Headybrah wrote:thanks for book suggestions.

If I bring work

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:35 am

SBL wrote:I feel like entering non-billable time should only be necessary if you haven't entered 8 hours of billable time. Logging the 30 minutes you spent reading law review articles on the shitter seems silly if you billed 8-9 hours of actual work that day.
Sometimes it's useful when trying to avoid work. For instance, if I bill 10 hours and have a 2.5 hour medical appointment, recording the medical appointment means I have a "12.5" instead of a "10" next to the date. Other than that I think it's basically pointless if billable expectations are being met.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:24 am

Headybrah wrote:thanks for book suggestions.

IMO dropping a deuce is a good time to pile on dem non-billable professional development hours. I like to print out an article on something related to my field and take it with me.

Related gripe: My firm's restrooms are not preftigious enough. Adjoining stalls is so TTT.

Mount Elbrus

New

Post by Mount Elbrus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:45 am

My firm's restrooms are not preftigious enough. Adjoining stalls is so TTT.
PUN!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:58 am

I already want to go home. I got a box of corporate notes and board minutes I need to review/organize/learn from. wtf.

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:41 am

What are first year associates billing rates? Just curious to compare them to my billing rate.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”