New associate banter Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lukertin

Silver

Re: New associate banter

Post by lukertin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:20 pm

did you guys like throw your diploma away or something?

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Waiting for my verification so I can join in on the attorneys eyes only secret banter. Preview of said banter: I have spent the last six days reading patents and only have 37 more to go. Then I get to write about the patents that I have read

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:40 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Somewhere in there it said you could just post a link to your firm bio. I did that, so I'll let you guys know if it's successful. Otherwise, I agree, it's much too much work to get access to a forum.

Anyway, I am excited, cuse tomorrow I get to interview interns. I feel so powerful.
Well, crucially you have to email your firm bio from your firm account. Just picking a firm bio and posting it, as demonstrated in one of the other threads, doesn't really work :P

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:46 pm

thesealocust wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Somewhere in there it said you could just post a link to your firm bio. I did that, so I'll let you guys know if it's successful. Otherwise, I agree, it's much too much work to get access to a forum.

Anyway, I am excited, cuse tomorrow I get to interview interns. I feel so powerful.
Well, crucially you have to email your firm bio from your firm account. Just picking a firm bio and posting it, as demonstrated in one of the other threads, doesn't really work :P
I sent my non-diploma photo verification from my firm email by mistake. Oops.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:47 pm

gk101 wrote:Waiting for my verification so I can join in on the attorneys eyes only secret banter. Preview of said banter: I have spent the last six days reading patents and only have 37 more to go. Then I get to write about the patents that I have read
Write about them or do claims charts about them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
gk101 wrote:Waiting for my verification so I can join in on the attorneys eyes only secret banter. Preview of said banter: I have spent the last six days reading patents and only have 37 more to go. Then I get to write about the patents that I have read
Write about them or do claims charts about them.
Drafting a freedom to operate opinion so both I guess. The claim charts should be for a significantly fewer number

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:57 pm

So what's happening in this new lawyer forum that's so great, anyway?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:15 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:So what's happening in this new lawyer forum that's so great, anyway?
Everyone just networked into like, five jobs. Also there are individual name tags, little mints on each pillow, and a man-servant named Clifton.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Alright guys, I have a major dilemma and nobody else to ask. I'm a brand new associate, happy where I'm at, and with no intentions of leaving. Of course, this means that, after around a month at my firm, another firm has approached me about lateraling. I'm semi-interested in that it would be a good place to be in a few years if I don't make partner here, but it's several steps down in prestige, ability to get big clients, etc., and I doubt it would pay anywhere near what I currently make. I do, however, have a great relationship with the individual from the other firm, and I know lots of the people there. Do I take the risk of meeting with them to see what they're offering, or would that be a stupid risk? Pretty much, WTF do I do?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Yeah, I initially didn't do that, and the mod e-mailed me on my work email to make sure I was not an imposter of myself. I don't yet have access to the new forum, but, hopefully soon.
Anonymous User wrote:Alright guys, I have a major dilemma and nobody else to ask. I'm a brand new associate, happy where I'm at, and with no intentions of leaving. Of course, this means that, after around a month at my firm, another firm has approached me about lateraling. I'm semi-interested in that it would be a good place to be in a few years if I don't make partner here, but it's several steps down in prestige, ability to get big clients, etc., and I doubt it would pay anywhere near what I currently make. I do, however, have a great relationship with the individual from the other firm, and I know lots of the people there. Do I take the risk of meeting with them to see what they're offering, or would that be a stupid risk? Pretty much, WTF do I do?
Well, it sounds like you are not at all interested in this other job, so I would say don't bother. Maybe just tell that that since you just started, you would like to stay with your current firm to learn the ropes, but might be interested in moving down the line and that you hope they will keep in touch and think of you should another position open up.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Alright guys, I have a major dilemma and nobody else to ask. I'm a brand new associate, happy where I'm at, and with no intentions of leaving. Of course, this means that, after around a month at my firm, another firm has approached me about lateraling. I'm semi-interested in that it would be a good place to be in a few years if I don't make partner here, but it's several steps down in prestige, ability to get big clients, etc., and I doubt it would pay anywhere near what I currently make. I do, however, have a great relationship with the individual from the other firm, and I know lots of the people there. Do I take the risk of meeting with them to see what they're offering, or would that be a stupid risk? Pretty much, WTF do I do?
So you got an offer for a worse job... sounds like a pretty easy call to me. You're flattered to be approached and certainly interested conceptually, but can't turn your back on a new employer one month in and so new to the industry.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:54 pm

FYI, now I see the new forum. There are less than 10 threads, but the whole "post your bio" thing did work.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:16 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:There are less than 10 threads
Forum has existed for less than 24 hours though...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:24 pm

I got the email from admin saying that I was approved for access, but I can't find the forum in the index page. Then I realized I left of the "07" from my username in the subject line, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing anything.

Details, details...

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:36 pm

thesealocust wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:There are less than 10 threads
Forum has existed for less than 24 hours though...
Indeed. If I think of a relevant topic, I'll be sure to start a thread to get that number up.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:01 pm

thesealocust wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:So what's happening in this new lawyer forum that's so great, anyway?
Everyone just networked into like, five jobs. Also there are individual name tags, little mints on each pillow, and a man-servant named Clifton.
:brava:

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:04 pm

Made the switch

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:03 pm

snowpeach06 wrote: Well, it sounds like you are not at all interested in this other job, so I would say don't bother. Maybe just tell that that since you just started, you would like to stay with your current firm to learn the ropes, but might be interested in moving down the line and that you hope they will keep in touch and think of you should another position open up.
Well, I'm a bit interested in the job, but I don't think enough so that I would be convinced to move. It's mostly just curiosity about what they would offer, I think. My initial thoughts were similar to what you suggested, but I didn't there was some unspoken guideline suggesting that young associates take the chance to check out any lateral offers they get.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:09 pm

Cliffnotes on this new forum?

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Nah to question #1. Be diplomatic though.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Just scored a job at a hedge fund making 7 figures thanks to the new forum. Peeps here are missing out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Just scored a job at a hedge fund making 7 figures thanks to the new forum. Peeps here are missing out.
I bet you didn't even have to read Ray Dalio's PRINCIPLES either

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:59 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Just scored a job at a hedge fund making 7 figures thanks to the new forum. Peeps here are missing out.
I have a buddy (non-lawyer) at a HF.

Works about the same hours as me for about (educated guess based upon the little I've been able to get out of him about his jerb) 4x the dough. Maybe more if his group has a killer year.

Fuck my ass.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote: Well, it sounds like you are not at all interested in this other job, so I would say don't bother. Maybe just tell that that since you just started, you would like to stay with your current firm to learn the ropes, but might be interested in moving down the line and that you hope they will keep in touch and think of you should another position open up.
Well, I'm a bit interested in the job, but I don't think enough so that I would be convinced to move. It's mostly just curiosity about what they would offer, I think. My initial thoughts were similar to what you suggested, but I didn't there was some unspoken guideline suggesting that young associates take the chance to check out any lateral offers they get.
I don't know how that works. I know my friend is checking out lateral offers, but she actually wants to leave her current job cuse she hates it. I totally understand curiosity, but if you don't think you'll take it then you are kind of just wasting everyone's time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:00 pm

Possible dumb question:

If a firm takes a litigation on a contingent fee basis (the company will presumably be getting back a ton of money from the government and we would get part of their return); what is the point of tracking billable hours?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”