How was this year versus past years?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
californiauser

Re: How was this year versus past years?

Postby californiauser » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:34 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:I think you're confused, perhaps this thread can clear things up for you:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=189981

Please, quote the questions and advice I asked for in this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Michigan 3.33 (Median could be as high as 3.25, and they revised the curve upward for 1Ls this year).

12 callbacks, 4 offers. All NYC, all Vault.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:52 pm

IAFG wrote:
gnuwheels wrote:In the aggregate, the V100 class size in New York is almost definitely smaller than this past summer.*

*This is deduced from personal knowledge of 20+ firms with smaller anticipated class sizes for next year and only 2 with larger anticipated class sizes.

The only sort of post useful to this discussion without hard numbers from schools.

Tcr

I hate these threads

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:00 pm

californiauser wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
californiauser wrote:This tells us NOTHING. You're anonymous, post the school or don't bother posting.

Hey there, I just went through your post history, and it's clear you're a 0L. Maybe you should go ahead and stop telling people to out their schools until you are actually a law student.

This thread is most important for people not yet in law school trying to guage where the legal market is headed. I'm not violating any rules or asking questions. If you don't want to out your school, don't post. It's not complicated.

Posting "I'm at a Tier 1, OCI went great!" benefits no one.

Telling someone "post the school or don't bother posting" may as well be asking a question. You are also not the arbiter of who gets to post what. That is the job of myself and the rest of the mod team. It's not complicated.

If you want to ask law students about the state of the legal market, you are free to make a thread in the ask a student/grad forum. Otherwise, this is your final warning to refrain from posting here as a 0L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:24 pm

At UChicago, know of roughly 50 people with offers and only one definitely with nothing. There is obviously a sample thing and people with jobs are more likely to discuss it so I'm not claiming astronomically high numbers, but I think odds are we did as well or better than last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:57 pm

My understanding is that it has really been feast or famine at michigan. I saw the same people at all the offer dinners. Similarly my classmates have had mixed results, some striking out and others stressing over which firms to pick. Lots of people are happy but at the same time lots of people seem really upset. Who knows what this means but the "feast on famine" impression is one that almost all of my friends have experienced.

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:03 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:I think you're confused, perhaps this thread can clear things up for you:

I don't really think what the poster said was that objectionable. There's literally no reason to not just say your exact school when you're giving this sort of information anonymously. Glad a 0L can see that already. And this particular thread is WAY more useful for 0Ls (I'm including people with ~1 month of law school in this boat) than the type of posters "allowed" in the employment forum. The mods should move the forum if that's a problem.

That being said, say it more nicely next time, 0L.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:29 pm

gchatbrah wrote:I don't really think what the poster said was that objectionable. There's literally no reason to not just say your exact school when you're giving this sort of information anonymously. Glad a 0L can see that already. And this particular thread is WAY more useful for 0Ls (I'm including people with ~1 month of law school in this boat) than the type of posters "allowed" in the employment forum. The mods should move the forum if that's a problem.

I don't really disagree with any of this, but I think it can be hard for 0Ls to understand the risks and pressures associated with outing yourself on TLS when the legal community tends to be so small (which is to say I didn't appreciate it until I got to law school).

I'm very careful with divulging identifying info on here, at most I've only ever shared my law school, and sent a few pms about what firms I interviewed with/got offers from. Nonetheless, at least 1 person at my school successfully identified me on here. Given that there were other SAs from my school at my job, it's not unreasonable to think that if someone from my school can identify me, then at least some people at my job can as well. Before I understood how small the legal world really is, I never would have guessed this.

Ultimately I think that rad lulz and IAFG are correct: a thread with anecdotes like this isn't worth much; people with offers always talk more than people without. It would be better if people "in the know" posted about the summer class sizes at various firms for the upcoming year. Such a thread would definitely have use to a 0L.

But telling other people what kinds of identifying information they should post for your own benefit, and doing so before you even have a firm understanding of how small the legal community can be? That really rubbed me the wrong way.

For the purpose of getting this thread back on track...

I know through contacts (mostly alums and friends from UG) about the upcoming class sizes at 3 offices of v50 firms in SF/SV. In all three instances the 2014 class is going to be larger than 2011, but unchanged from 2012/2013. A typical pattern seems to be something like: 1 SA in 2010, 1 SA in 2011, 3 SAs in 2012, 3 SAs in 2013, 3 SAs 2014. There might be some variation of course, but this seems to be how it generally looks. Unfortunately, a lot of us were hoping for a pattern like 1/1/3/4/5, but what we're getting is 1/1/3/3/3.

SF/SV offices tend to be smaller though, so I'd be curious to hear what things are like in markets with larger offices (NY/DC/Chi/LA).

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:42 pm

gchatbrah wrote:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=189981

I don't really think what the poster said was that objectionable. There's literally no reason to not just say your exact school when you're giving this sort of information anonymously. Glad a 0L can see that already. And this particular thread is WAY more useful for 0Ls (I'm including people with ~1 month of law school in this boat) than the type of posters "allowed" in the employment forum. The mods should move the forum if that's a problem.

If you think this thread is useful to 0Ls then you can start a similar thread in a forum in which 0Ls are allowed to post. It's not the mods' job to move it when it was started here appropriately and the problem is not the thread but 0Ls posting. Also (and this part is not modly talk but my opinion) people here are WAY too quick to demand that posters out the firm/school/whatever. It doesn't matter if you think the post is useless without that info, you don't get to demand that someone provide it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:47 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
gchatbrah wrote:

If you think this thread is useful to 0Ls then you can start a similar thread in a forum in which 0Ls are allowed to post. It's not the mods' job to move it when it was started here appropriately and the problem is not the thread but 0Ls posting. Also (and this part is not modly talk but my opinion) people here are WAY too quick to demand that posters out the firm/school/whatever. It doesn't matter if you think the post is useless without that info, you don't get to demand that someone provide it.

Even if people did say their school the thread would be pretty worthless

"Everyone I know at my T14 has a job!" Cool story bro I know that's not what the stats are gonna say when they come out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:28 pm

rad lulz wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
gchatbrah wrote:

Even if people did say their school the thread would be pretty worthless

"Everyone I know at my T14 has a job!" Cool story bro I know that's not what the stats are gonna say when they come out.

This is so true, especially at my T20.

The people who have OCI offers are making ridiculous claims that the majority of 2Ls currently have offers from mid to big law firms. And, those with offers are talking about it in the common areas, where all of the 1Ls are around. Due to that, I am hearing 1Ls talking about how they struck gold by going to a school that places so well, and they expect half their class will get big law jobs, and may even better at next year's OCI.

I get so frustrated hearing that stuff. Those with OCI offers are slim minority, I'd say maybe 10% of our class have OCI offers.

Unfortunately, those 10% are very vocal, and portray things as rosy, when they are not. The rest of us 2Ls without OCI offers have either (1) given up or (2) frantically applying and networking.

It is surprising though how many 2Ls I know have done nothing after OCI to find employment. I swear I spend a good few hours each day mass-mailing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
californiauser wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T-30 good regional school here. I think at this point people with offers are a very vocal minority and I think it is skewing impressions of the job market. I don't think class sizes have gone up in our city, if anything they went down or stayed the same.

This tells us NOTHING. You're anonymous, post the school or don't bother posting.

Boston, BC

At BU and I absolutely agree. I know people with a lot (3+) offers, which is what everyone talks about (of the few who talk about it - and even then, it's 'oh, I heard that two people have offers at x' or 'I know of one person with three offers - at x, y, and z' so it tends to be the same people but nobody is using names so it sounds like more). I also know that the people with multiple offers tend to be those that called the other firms after getting an offer (and then almost immediately got more offers). There are also a lot of people that people seem to assume have offers who don't actually, but nobody is going to out themselves as not having an offer. The vast majority don't have anything and are desperately trying. My understanding is that class sizes are down in Boston.

Return to “Legal Employment”