How was this year versus past years?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Donkeykongmadness

How was this year versus past years?

Postby Donkeykongmadness » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:55 pm

I'm a 3L and did not go through OCI. I'm wondering what is the general take on how recruiting went this year? If you have some thoughts, please also note if your school is
top tier school or not.

OCI can be one of many indicators of firms' overall health and of the industry in general. So, my interest is just how things generally look from various vantage points around the country.

Robespierre

Re: How was this year versus past years?

Postby Robespierre » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:31 pm

Necroing this thread now that some time has gone by. It's my impression that this was a pretty good recruiting season, but I have no evidence other than how friends and classmates did. Any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:40 pm

Robespierre wrote:Necroing this thread now that some time has gone by. It's my impression that this was a pretty good recruiting season, but I have no evidence other than how friends and classmates did. Any thoughts?

I agree. non-t14, secondary journal with 9 offers here.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Necroing this thread now that some time has gone by. It's my impression that this was a pretty good recruiting season, but I have no evidence other than how friends and classmates did. Any thoughts?

Completely opposite experience. t14, Top 15%, main journal, no offers. I have similarly-situated classmates in the same boat.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

A bona fide use of anon.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Completely opposite experience. t14, Top 15%, main journal, no offers. I have similarly-situated classmates in the same boat.

You're anonymous...post your school so others can get a sense of how things went for OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:19 pm

At NU. I am a transfer so I can only speak about the transfer class. Looks like the transfer class, on average, did better than last year's transfer class. I have heard of multiple V25 offers in Chicago. V50 offers in NYC, West Coast.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:23 pm

At NYU I have a lot of friends who did really well and a lot of friends (including plenty at/above median) who did poorly. The sense I've gotten is that it was worse here and at Columbia (I have friends there) than during previous years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:30 pm

californiauser wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You're anonymous...post your school so others can get a sense of how things went for OCI.

Georgetown.

My impression is that the brutal DC market screwed people who were bidding East Coast, but people from out west (Chicago and San Francisco, in particular) did reasonably well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:54 pm

Seems comparable to last few years at NYU, but who knows as a 5-10% difference is hard to tell.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:44 pm

UT seems to be pretty optimistic. Maybe not better than last year, but definitely not worse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:57 pm

At Georgetown seems to be worse then last year. Top Third seemed somewhat safe but much lower then that it seemed dicey. Also, GULC seemed to accept a shit ton of transfers who appeared to get offers where native students seemed to struggle and some have blamed the influx of transfers.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:00 pm

deleted

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:07 pm

My impression is that things went well at Chicago. But it's hard to get a pulse on the class outside of my friend group (half of whom were on on LR or were IP or otherwise were very likely to do well anyway) and so I'd be interested in hearing others' perspectives. I know of a couple people who are struggling but I'm hoping almost everybody has jobs!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:33 pm

I got a T20.

I personally struck out at OCI.

A very small group of people I know did well through OCI. But a lot of us, even with LR, in the top quartile struck out.

Though, I know a guy who is in the the second quartile who is killing it. 4 offers. Mind you, this dude is incredibly personable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:36 pm

At Columbia --- went as well as possible for me. I get the sense that people had very mixed results. Saw pretty much all the same people at V10 offer dinners. Know a few people with nothing as of now and some people with only offers in markets they didn't particularly want

My impression is that, holding all else constant, non-K-JDs did a lot better than K-JDs. I think a decent number of people screwed themselves out of opportunities by bad bidding / not hustling to get more screeners.

wiz

Postby wiz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At Columbia --- went as well as possible for me. I get the sense that people had very mixed results. Saw pretty much all the same people at V10 offer dinners. Know a few people with nothing as of now and some people with only offers in markets they didn't particularly want

My impression is that, holding all else constant, non-K-JDs did a lot better than K-JDs. I think a decent number of people screwed themselves out of opportunities by bad bidding / not hustling to get more screeners.

As a K-JD, I can say this is true. My non-K-JD friends seem to have been more successful than my K-JD friends.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seems comparable to last few years at NYU, but who knows as a 5-10% difference is hard to tell.

I think our class has had a more bi-modal distribution between nothing and 5+ than past classes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:41 pm

Is it fair to say that 2011, 2012, and 2013 have remained relatively constant (if not slightly worse)? Is this the new norm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:13 pm

wiz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At Columbia --- went as well as possible for me. I get the sense that people had very mixed results. Saw pretty much all the same people at V10 offer dinners. Know a few people with nothing as of now and some people with only offers in markets they didn't particularly want

As a K-JD, I can say this is true. My non-K-JD friends seem to have been more successful than my K-JD friends.

Also at Columbia, fwiw most of my friends are K-JD, and just about all of them ended up with offers (and it was definitely not due to stellar grades in most cases).

I strongly agree that bad-bidding can be a major factor (seems like the lenient curve makes some overrate their grades, and bid more aggressively then they probably should). Additionally there is definitely a randomness to the entire process that is hard to account for.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Last edited by BuckinghamB on Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Top 15% T20. My 40th (firm) interview is next Wednesday. 2 callbacks, and 0 offers to date.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:03 pm

This seems to be my impression at Penn too. Extremely polarized results, with many classmates having plenty of V10 or V20 offers (including some below top third), but also many classmates either striking out or with one or two offers in places that were not exactly a top choice. I agree that many of us (myself included) did not bid strategically enough and did not mail early enough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:05 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:Here's my anecdote.

Among my fairly large group of friends at Mich, literally everyone has biglaw that wanted it, including people with GPAs ranging from sub-3.0 (some K-JDs) to top 10% and lots in between. That said, after reading through some posts in the Michigan OCI thread, it seems like alot of people struck out, too. Probably safe to say it'll be similar to last year. Who knows.

Also at Michigan, also can say that all my friends have something. And I'm fairly certain we aren't friends. But, I have heard if a couple people who don't have anything

Return to “Legal Employment”