Phone interview big law firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Phone interview big law firm

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:52 pm

So after mass mailing, I finally got a phone interview. Any tips on the phone interview and should I ask at the end if I can visit their firm in person?
What are the etiquette to these interviews?

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Phone interview big law firm

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Dress up to get in the right mood. Have notes ready with all of your anecdotes on them. My 2L SA position at a V-30 firm started with a phone screener, so I would take it seriously. Good luck!

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So after mass mailing, I finally got a phone interview. Any tips on the phone interview and should I ask at the end if I can visit their firm in person?

You want to ask at the end of the screener whether you can go on a CB? I wouldn't do that. They'll get back to you when they're ready, and of course they'll just assume you want a CB.

Research the firm thoroughly and make notes, but you don't want to sound like you're reading anything. It can be very hard to avoid that if you actually are reading something.

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So after mass mailing, I finally got a phone interview. Any tips on the phone interview and should I ask at the end if I can visit their firm in person?
What are the etiquette to these interviews?

Thanks

School? Is this firm in the same region?

I also wouldn't ask to come visit. This is a screener, if they want to bring you in for a callback, they will ask you to come in

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:26 pm

I had exactly one phone screener, but I treated it identically to every other screener I've had. That strategy yielded a callback.

In terms of general screening strategies, I have found that successful screening interviews focus on you, as a person. You have got be to be comfortable talking about yourself and selling yourself. Always up-sell. No matter how mundane the experience, always up-sell, and always express interest.

If you're lazy, like me, come up with great questions that literally have nothing to do with firm specifics. I'm fairly confident I asked the exact same questions in every single interview.

Never force anything, I suggest always letting interviews develop organically. Probably the most crucial skill you can develop is to make sure there are three things about you that you get across in every interview, under all circumstances. This is easy when the interviewer lets you guide the conversation, but some interviewers will take the reins themselves. Even in those circumstances, you have to know how to use their questions to reveal the information you want them to know.

Good luck, and don't stress. Shoot the shit, and you'll do great.

Return to “Legal Employment”