Wiley Rein (DC) vs Baker Botts DC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Wiley Rein (DC) vs Baker Botts DC

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm interested in litigation and regulatory work. I liked the feel of both offices but what is hanging me up is Baker botts being a satellite office versus Wiley which is pretty much DC exclusive. How much of a difference does it make in terms of a DC career trajectory to be in a DC centric firm versus a satellite office that still has a significant DC presence and does DC work?

Anonymous User

Re: Wiley Rein (DC) vs Baker Botts DC

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:27 pm

Honestly, even as a DC native, I'm barely aware of Baker Botts having any meaningful local practice. That isn't to say they don't necessarily offer good work, but I highly doubt it approaches the level of what Wiley Rein can offer within their domains (whether those domains truly interest you is a separate question, however).

Full Disclosure: I CB'ed with Wiley Rein. Relatedly, what was your CB-->Offer timeline?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, even as a DC native, I'm barely aware of Baker Botts having any meaningful local practice. That isn't to say they don't necessarily offer good work, but I highly doubt it approaches the level of what Wiley Rein can offer within their domains (whether those domains truly interest you is a separate question, however).

Full Disclosure: I CB'ed with Wiley Rein. Relatedly, what was your CB-->Offer timeline?

Thanks! Ive definitely gotten the impression that Wiley is well respected in DC.

CB was on a Tuesday and offer came that Friday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, even as a DC native, I'm barely aware of Baker Botts having any meaningful local practice. That isn't to say they don't necessarily offer good work, but I highly doubt it approaches the level of what Wiley Rein can offer within their domains (whether those domains truly interest you is a separate question, however).

Thanks! Ive definitely gotten the impression that Wiley is well respected in DC.

CB was on a Tuesday and offer came that Friday.

according to chambers at least baker botts lit is band 2, on par with gibson and above covington

wiley rein only registers for comm law

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:16 pm

BB Lit is basically a lit boutique they swallowed in 2001 (Miller, something?), which I think is why it has less recognition, but they have a strong lit practice clearly. They also swallowed most of Howrey's respected antitrust practice when it went under, and have a strong environmental group.

My sense is they do good work, but, for whatever reason, aren't on most DC lawyers radar. I imagine that would limit exit options to some degree, but I don't know how much it matters.

My intuition is this comes down to 1) your gut, and 2) whether you're more into regulatory or litigation. BB's lit group is strong, but I get the sense that Wiley is more of a true DC firm, whereas BB a little more is a good firm that just happens to be in DC (though they have some regulatory as well).

(Anon because I CBed there recently)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:32 am

(anon because of cb)

would appreciate more insight in this thread...BB, for being a band 2 lit firm is really under the radar. I mean theyre higher rated than covington...

any insight as to whether chambers is just off or if BB really is that insanely strong but yet somehow gets no love?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:30 am

chambers dc lit rankings are a joke.

Return to “Legal Employment”