Anatomy of a deal: the Verizon Vodafone acquisition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Old Gregg

Re: Anatomy of a deal: the Verizon Vodafone acquisition

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:37 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:Simpson got Vodafone and Microsoft. Killin it.

This too. Jesus. I think I said in another thread that STB is a PE giant, but look at this shit. This combined with Dell... jesus.

Didn't STB also do the Facebook IPO and the recent comically large Apple bond offering?

Yeah but that was last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:

This too. Jesus. I think I said in another thread that STB is a PE giant, but look at this shit. This combined with Dell... jesus.

The Dell deal played to their strength in P/E.

STB never gets that much love from the TLS echo chamber...never understood why. It's as good as S&C DPW CSM and the like but I know few people who picked STB over them.

And a hearty lol at the notion of lenders and their advisors being also-rans with $60+bb on the line.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:29 pm

And a hearty lol at the notion of lenders and their advisors being also-rans after with $60+bb on the line.

Sounds like a noob.

BluePurgatory

Postby BluePurgatory » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:44 pm

Edit: One dollar law firm Bob!

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:STB never gets that much love from the TLS echo chamber...never understood why.

People think V5/V3 means something significant. V5+STB used to be a thing, idk what happened to that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:43 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
And a hearty lol at the notion of lenders and their advisors being also-rans after with $60+bb on the line.

Sounds like a noob.

Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the word "ancillary". No doubt a $60 billion financing, the largest in history, is real. There's a reason that Wachtell lists more finance lawyers on the deal than corporate lawyers. But being counsel to the banks is nowhere near the role that being deal counsel is. Giving the same league table credit to the banks' counsel as to the deal counsel is a bit of a joke. Though, admittedly, nowhere near the joke of giving the same league table credit to the financial advisors' counsel. Giving league table credit on a $130 billion deal for negotiating an engagement letter and drafting a fairness opinion is absurd.

Edit: from enibs - didn't intend for this to be anonymous.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

enibs

Postby enibs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:47 am

KidStuddi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:STB never gets that much love from the TLS echo chamber...never understood why.

People think V5/V3 means something significant. V5+STB used to be a thing, idk what happened to that.

Personally, I'd take STB over any of CSM, DPW and S&C, though I can understand someone making a different choice as among those four. But in my mind, it's not even close over Skadden. (And no, I don't work at STB.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:50 am

enibs wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:

Personally, I'd take STB over any of CSM, DPW and S&C, though I can understand someone making a different choice as among those four. But in my mind, it's not even close over Skadden. (And no, I don't work at STB.)

I've never understood this. Why do you consider Skadden to be on a different rung of the ladder entirely? (And no, I don't work at Skadden.)

enibs

Postby enibs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
enibs wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:

I've never understood this. Why do you consider Skadden to be on a different rung of the ladder entirely? (And no, I don't work at Skadden.)

I think of it as a huge factory. Some excellent lawyers but inconsistent quality. And I know a bunch of people who have gone there and been unhappy.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Yeah, the obsession with ranking things gets in the way when you're looking at the fine distinctions amongst the "top" firms. There are a handful of firms, probably 15 to 20, that are so good at basically every field they choose to practice in that you'll be splitting hairs when you compare them. If any given candidate has specific information about the field or geography they want to go in, some of those hairs might be worth splitting, but otherwise Vault and thinking based on Vault really misses the mark.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:15 pm

Looks like Debevoise + Milbank for what is looking likely to be the largest debt offering in the history of large debt offerings ($20,000,000,000 -- 11 figures!):

Boring link: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/ ... d424b5.htm

Slightly less boring link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... Collection

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:26 pm

thesealocust wrote:Yeah, the obsession with ranking things gets in the way when you're looking at the fine distinctions amongst the "top" firms. There are a handful of firms, probably 15 to 20, that are so good at basically every field they choose to practice in that you'll be splitting hairs when you compare them. If any given candidate has specific information about the field or geography they want to go in, some of those hairs might be worth splitting, but otherwise Vault and thinking based on Vault really misses the mark.

I feel like USNews has fucked up overachieving millenials.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:39 pm

enibs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've never understood this. Why do you consider Skadden to be on a different rung of the ladder entirely? (And no, I don't work at Skadden.)

I think of it as a huge factory. Some excellent lawyers but inconsistent quality. And I know a bunch of people who have gone there and been unhappy.

Interviewed at all these places, and asked about peer firms during all interviews (though not this bluntly). S&C and Cravath generally consider themselves to be peers with each other and with WLRK. DPW and STB are often mentioned favorably as well. Skadden is strong overall, but not so much in New York. The most common assessment of Skadden at other top NY firms is that it has excellent partners, but the quality of associates is inconsistent. Also, unlike WLRK/S&C/CSM, Skadden works on a lot more smaller deals (which it places a shadow B-team of associates on) even though the total value of its deals over ten years is high (comparable to S&C and higher than WLRK/CSM).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:40 pm

enibs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
enibs wrote:Personally, I'd take STB over any of CSM, DPW and S&C, though I can understand someone making a different choice as among those four. But in my mind, it's not even close over Skadden. (And no, I don't work at STB.)

Not OP. Interviewed at all these places, and asked about peer firms during all interviews (though not this bluntly). S&C and Cravath generally consider themselves to be peers with each other and with WLRK. DPW and STB are often mentioned favorably as well. Skadden is strong overall, but not so much in New York. The most common assessment of Skadden at other top NY firms is that it has excellent partners, but the quality of associates is inconsistent. Also, unlike WLRK/S&C/CSM, Skadden works on a lot more smaller deals (which it places a shadow B-team of associates on) even though the total value of its deals over ten years is high (comparable to S&C and higher than WLRK/CSM).[/quote]

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
enibs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
enibs wrote:Personally, I'd take STB over any of CSM, DPW and S&C, though I can understand someone making a different choice as among those four. But in my mind, it's not even close over Skadden. (And no, I don't work at STB.)

Not OP. Interviewed at all these places, and asked about peer firms during all interviews (though not this bluntly). S&C and Cravath generally consider themselves to be peers with each other and with WLRK. DPW and STB are often mentioned favorably as well. Skadden is strong overall, but not so much in New York. The most common assessment of Skadden at other top NY firms is that it has excellent partners, but the quality of associates is inconsistent. Also, unlike WLRK/S&C/Cravath, Skadden works on a lot more smaller deals (which it places a shadow B-team of associates on) even though the total value of its deals over ten years is high (comparable to S&C and higher than WLRK/Cravath).

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Yeah, the obsession with ranking things gets in the way when you're looking at the fine distinctions amongst the "top" firms. There are a handful of firms, probably 15 to 20, that are so good at basically every field they choose to practice in that you'll be splitting hairs when you compare them. If any given candidate has specific information about the field or geography they want to go in, some of those hairs might be worth splitting, but otherwise Vault and thinking based on Vault really misses the mark.

Agreed. And the problem is that the top law schools provide a huge shot of confirmation bias to the Cult of Ranking Things, because even though fine distinctions can still be tough the "best" law schools really do produce tremendously better employment outcomes, on average, than the "lesser" law schools. It's one of the only things I can think of where rankings mania has a strong basis in reality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:52 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

Agreed. And the problem is that the top law schools provide a huge shot of confirmation bias to the Cult of Ranking Things, because even though fine distinctions can still be tough the "best" law schools really do produce tremendously better employment outcomes, on average, than the "lesser" law schools. It's one of the only things I can think of where rankings mania has a strong basis in reality.

S&C/Cravath/WLRK are the HYS (or Harvard, Princeton, or MIT/Caltech according to the following article) of New York corporate law. DPW would be CLS. Joking. But people seriously have written articles on this before (http://abovethelaw.com/2013/05/buying-i ... -rankings/).

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:S&C/Cravath/WLRK are the HYS (or Harvard, Princeton, or MIT/Caltech according to the following article) of New York corporate law. DPW would be CLS. Joking. But people seriously have written articles on this before (http://abovethelaw.com/2013/05/buying-i ... -rankings/).

Subtle S&C/Cravath trolling ;)

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:29 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:S&C/Cravath/WLRK are the HYS (or Harvard, Princeton, or MIT/Caltech according to the following article) of New York corporate law. DPW would be CLS. Joking. But people seriously have written articles on this before (http://abovethelaw.com/2013/05/buying-i ... -rankings/).

Subtle S&C/Cravath trolling ;)

I had a hunch that I shouldn't take anonymous partner seriously before. This only confirms it.

worldwithoutend

Postby worldwithoutend » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:47 pm

KidStuddi wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:

Don't forget Office Depot/Office Max. Monster year for them.

And Smithfield Foods.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:12 pm

WSJ says the bond offering may be nearing $50 billion o.0;;

Return to “Legal Employment”