Milbank's Summer/1st-year Programs and Practice Areas?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Milbank's Summer/1st-year Programs and Practice Areas?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:59 am

Anyone know how Milbank is at letting you explore different practice areas? I couldn't find much information on their summer and first-year associate programs. They seemed amazing on project finance work, but I'm not sure that's where I want to end up, and I don't want to be pigeon-holed going in. How soon do they make you choose an area?

Also, anyone know how they are on M&A and securities?

Anonymous User

Re: Milbank's Summer/1st-year Programs and Practice Areas?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:10 am

Milbank has a rotation system, and they don't make you choose until after your offer (you rank your preferences). Congrats on your SA offer. Which office? When did you get the call, and when was your CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:47 am

Do you know if the rotation is just through two practice areas? And just for the summer? IOW -- no rotations throughout your first year? Making us choose right after the summer makes me nervous I won't have made up my mind...especially since there are 3 areas I'm really excited about. :roll: :|

Had my CB early last week (aug.26-ish) and got Offer notification next day! Was very excited.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:49 am

^^^ OP here, btw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you know if the rotation is just through two practice areas? And just for the summer? IOW -- no rotations throughout your first year? Making us choose right after the summer makes me nervous I won't have made up my mind...especially since there are 3 areas I'm really excited about. :roll: :|

Had my CB early last week (aug.26-ish) and got Offer notification next day! Was very excited.

The rotation for the summer has typically been through 3 practice groups, but after some comments from SAs that they didn't have enough time in each area, they have indicated that this year summer associates will have to rotate through a minimum of two but up to three practice areas.

As for the first year- associates are assigned prior to their first year to a particular practice group. That is, no rotation. Milbank partners at my interview indicated that they like doing it this way because it lets colleagues get to know you and your work well early on, and allows them to give you more substantive assignments earlier because they know what kind of work you produce.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Congrats! I'm assuming that the comments in this thread are specific to the NYC office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:53 pm

I summered at Milbank in New York this year. The standard track was four weeks in one practice area, then three weeks in each of two practice areas. I know of a few summers who did work on the side for a fourth practice area, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:12 pm

OP HERE. Thank you for the specific response!

Hmm...so I like the 3 rotations business, but that general pool over at White & Case is beginning to tempt me... Just worried about ending up somewhere I don't want to be. I tend to have tons of interests, and 10 weeks deciding the rest of the your life (melodrama noticed) seems daunting. Uy.

DANG, but those Milbank office views!

Return to “Legal Employment”