nightmare

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

nightmare

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Long story short- I have top 10% grades at a T10. Got severely sick just before OCIs, wound up having to go to them while recovering/still heavily medicated, look to be striking out. I am desperately mass-mailing, but am worried that many of the places I am now applying to are going to avoid bothering with me on the assumption that there must be something wrong with me, or that I am only interested in them as backups. Especially now that I've just gotten my first rejection from a mass-mail target which still purports to be looking for summer associates. How do I address this?

anonymous2012

Re: nightmare

Postby anonymous2012 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Keep your grades up and apply for federal clerkships.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:35 pm

What? There is nothing to address.

Most mass mails will lead to rejections (or no response at all). Just because they are looking for summers doesn't mean that you are a shoo-in for an interview with top 10% grades from a T10. Firms aren't going to think that you are their backup, they are going to either want to interview or not. The only thing you can do now is apply to as many firms as possible.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Most people with top 10% grades at a T10 land ok, even if they strike out at OCI (especially if it's due to circumstances rather than personality).

Are you absolutely set on or do you absolutely need biglaw to pay off loans? Keep mailing, do 3L OCI, and if those fail, go for clerkships and then try to get biglaw from your clerkship. Otherwise, you could probably at least land something in a midsize firm on graduation if you apply broadly enough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:52 pm

Also, if any of the interviewers made inappropriate comments about your health, consider contacting an employment attorney.

Return to “Legal Employment”