As a first year on the job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

As a first year on the job

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:03 pm

Question: what does first year associates or first year in-house counsel typically do? I started a few weeks ago and I'm batshit lost and feel like im a bitch. Is this normal?

legends159

Re: As a first year on the job

Postby legends159 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm batshit lost and feel like im a bitch. Is this normal?

Yes. But it gets better with time as you get more responsibility. Talk to your classmates - they all probably feel the same way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:16 pm

legends159 wrote:

Yes. But it gets better with time as you get more responsibility. Talk to your classmates - they all probably feel the same way.

Problem is I'm like marking up agreements/contracts and organizing shit. Eyes get glossy as fuck.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:43 pm

What do you mean by marking up agreements? Most people take that to mean you're revising it - as in you're negotiating the document through your markup. If that's what you mean by "marking up agreements" then you'll be doing this for a while. If by marking up agreements you mean you're being a secretary and inputting other people's changes - this type of work does not last forever and you should use it as a learning experience by asking questions (pretend as if you're the one marking up the doc and see if you would've made the same changes/alternative changes).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:56 am

legends159 wrote:What do you mean by marking up agreements? Most people take that to mean you're revising it - as in you're negotiating the document through your markup. If that's what you mean by "marking up agreements" then you'll be doing this for a while. If by marking up agreements you mean you're being a secretary and inputting other people's changes - this type of work does not last forever and you should use it as a learning experience by asking questions (pretend as if you're the one marking up the doc and see if you would've made the same changes/alternative changes).

I've been doing the former. Not negotiating per se but looking at letter of intents and marking up agreements received from the other side to favor our side. I'm a first year in-house not an associate. Not a whole lot of oversight or supervision. I'm working closely with outside counsel, however. I also keep all executive committee notes, board minutes, etc.

Just feeling uneasy because I also feel like I'm more of an executive assistant at times. I wanted to know if this is the typical shit 1st year in-house does. I'm definitely on the non-traditional path of going to a firm first.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:41 am

While I have never worked in-house as an attorney, I did work in-house as an intern for my whole 3L year. I typically drafted contract templates, revised contracts, drafted memos, did SEC type stuff, regulatory compliance, warranty law, products liability, etc. The first year attorney did much pretty the same work that I did, but was more involved in M&A deals and corporate governance. To a large extent most things were very boring. All of the heavy lifting was done by outside counsel. For example, "products liability" work consisted of me organizing customer complaints and injuries into a spread sheet to get a handle on how many people were injured etc. Then all of that information was sent to outside counsel. The one area that was very hands on was M&A deals and SEC reporting. Both of which I had very limited exposure to. While it was a great experience, its not something that I could imagine doing long term.

Anyway, I hope that gives you at least one perspective on how things operate in other in-house legal departments.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:While I have never worked in-house as an attorney, I did work in-house as an intern for my whole 3L year. I typically drafted contract templates, revised contracts, drafted memos, did SEC type stuff, regulatory compliance, warranty law, products liability, etc. The first year attorney did much pretty the same work that I did, but was more involved in M&A deals and corporate governance. To a large extent most things were very boring. All of the heavy lifting was done by outside counsel. For example, "products liability" work consisted of me organizing customer complaints and injuries into a spread sheet to get a handle on how many people were injured etc. Then all of that information was sent to outside counsel. The one area that was very hands on was M&A deals and SEC reporting. Both of which I had very limited exposure to. While it was a great experience, its not something that I could imagine doing long term.

Anyway, I hope that gives you at least one perspective on how things operate in other in-house legal departments.

I work in house and we rarely use outside for anything outside of litigation. It's a big software company, and I get the sense most of the companies like us are the same way.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Yes. Feeling like a bitch as a junior attorney is completely normal.

treeey86

Postby treeey86 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:18 pm

I'm in-house, rounding into my 2nd year (as counsel and as an attorney). I think it all really depends on the company. First 3 months I was sitting in on negotiations and submitting every document I drafted to a senior attorney to review. By the 3rd month I was given a lot more independence. I became point person in the company for certain types of deals, had the freedom to negotiate lower end deals on my own, and could draft agreements without needing senior counsel review/approval unless there was something out of the ordinary.

As time went on my role expanded even more into other areas I become point on and even more freedom to negotiate deals. The nature of my company is entertainment/advertising, and is privately owned, and we are not dealing with corporate governance, SEC filings, etc, so my role and my duties are a reflection of that. I imagine if I was at a public company having to do securities projects I would not get nearly as much autonomy upfront and as soon.

Return to “Legal Employment”