Delaware: Morris Nichols or Richards Layton?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Delaware: Morris Nichols or Richards Layton?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:07 pm

OP bump: I need to make this decision over the weekend: Any corroboration that RLF has higher offer rate than MNAT? What about fact that resumes of MNAT generally seem much more impressive than RLF? RLF seems stuffier than MNAT, true? MNAT seems to have higher attrition, true? Is it true that MNAT work longer, crazier hours than RLF? And the big one: which has more prestige re exit ops, etc.

Any other info factors one should consider in making this decision? Help! Too bad it doesn't seem people split.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP bump: I need to make this decision over the weekend: Any corroboration that RLF has higher offer rate than MNAT? What about fact that resumes of MNAT generally seem much more impressive than RLF? RLF seems stuffier than MNAT, true? MNAT seems to have higher attrition, true? Is it true that MNAT work longer, crazier hours than RLF? And the big one: which has more prestige re exit ops, etc.

Any other info factors one should consider in making this decision? Help! Too bad it doesn't seem people split.

Making the same decision. So I'm really interested as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP bump: I need to make this decision over the weekend: Any corroboration that RLF has higher offer rate than MNAT? What about fact that resumes of MNAT generally seem much more impressive than RLF? RLF seems stuffier than MNAT, true? MNAT seems to have higher attrition, true? Is it true that MNAT work longer, crazier hours than RLF? And the big one: which has more prestige re exit ops, etc.

Making the same decision. So I'm really interested as well.

(OP here) Any way I can contact you to compare notes? How to get around anonymous feature?

vulaw

Postby vulaw » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:24 pm

Last edited by vulaw on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:51 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Just trying to get a rough estimate. How many other TLSer's are going to DE Big 4 next summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:36 am

Trying, but no one seems to want me. Still got one CB in which i am in a holding pattern.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:56 pm

Resumes at MNAT may appear more lofty because the firm OCIs at more schools within a greater geographical scope. RLF OCIs more locally while inviting mass mails from anyone else. I think all other matters are about the same. I mean, hours at either firm has to do with practice group. A lit associate will have an entirely different experience than a transactional. I couldn't imagine prestige --> exit options varies at all between the two firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Did you all have ties to DE? How hard of a sale will it be if you're not, and are just very interested in bankruptcy? Go to school on the east coast, but closest I've been to DE is summering at DC.

Also, how grade selective are DE firms? Bottom third at CCN a possibility?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:13 pm

You will be repeatedly asked "why Delaware" when you interview here, although ties are not essential. Most of the people at my firm (and probably most big DE firms) either went to UD undergrad or went to school locally (Philly-area schools), but there are a fair amount of people from various other states on the east coast and from law schools outside the region. If you really want bankruptcy, say so in the interview, but that is a risky move since they may or may not be looking for people in that group at any given time. I would say that you were interested in BR but open to other practice areas.

I am from the mid-Atlantic and never came to Wilmington before interviewing, so that's not a problem. Bottom third at CCN has a great shot at a callback in my opinion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:22 pm

Enough cannot be said about knowing "Why Delaware" front and back. I've gotten decent reactions from even just saying that it's the type of work I want to do, and the Wilmington market is the best for that. Also, they LOVE the "Biglaw work, smalltown area" bit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:25 pm

In my experience, the DE big 4 are not exceptionally grade selective, particularly if you are at a T-14. Predictably, however, the grade sensitivity increases as your school rank decreases. So, for example, a Widener Law student needs an outstanding academic record to get in the door. But a mediocre NYU student will have a far easier time getting in, assuming he/she can credibly speak about why he/she wants to be in DE.

In terms of exit ops, in my opinion, RLF has much better name recognition than MNAT. Keep in mind that this is purely anecdotal information, but having spoken with attorneys from LA to Denver to NYC, RLF always comes up within the context of DE work and DE law firms. MNAT has not come up as often. Most attorneys I know don't have a clue what Potter/YCST even are. Not sure how, if at all, this correlates to exit ops/perceived prestige.

Return to “Legal Employment”