Delaware: Morris Nichols or Richards Layton?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Delaware: Morris Nichols or Richards Layton?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Deciding between the two for SA. Any info on either firm is much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Delaware: Morris Nichols or Richards Layton?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Deciding between the two for SA. Any info on either firm is much appreciated.

Interested in this too, particularly about exit ops and billables. Fwiw, it seemed like RLF didn't have a very big emphasis on facetime (but this was just what associates told me on my CB).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:48 pm

(OP here) I've heard MNAT billables are higher.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(OP here) I've heard MNAT billables are higher.

Yeah I've heard that too, from someone at MNAT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:17 am

Bump

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:26 am

This is probably not that important, but MNAT is considered by some (themselves) to be the best/most prestigious of the DE firms. However, RLF would probably be second if you had to rank them. During my interviewing process, I met some really great people at RLF, which for me would probably have negated any difference between the two. Besides, it seemed to me that all the DE firms (except Skadden) do really similar work for similar clients types. So, trust your gut and go wherever you think you would be happiest.

Regarding exit opportunities, I think that they would be similar at all the big-name DE firms (Skadden and other satellites are not DE firms) because it is such a specialized subject matter (DE law) that you will become an expert at. The only difference would be the specific clients that each firm works for since it is possible that your best exit ops would be to go in-house with a client. But it would be impossible to game this so I would not let it factor into the decision too much in a DE firm v. DE firm debate.

Disclaimer: I am a random law-student, you can get better information by asking the people at the firms. I am just trying to add to the discussion and add my two cents.
Last edited by Law Sauce on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Anyone want to provide insight into Potter Anderson or a comparison of it to the other firms? I've been informed, as the poster above me noted, that all these Wilmington firms do the same work and just go with your gut. Are they equally regarded in the legal community?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:49 pm

(OP here). I had a CB with Potter Anderson and I really liked the people I met there. They have not yet gotten back to me either way. Even if I got an offer I would decline it in favor of RLF or MNAT: While the Big 4 (Young Conaway being the 4th) are basically "equal" I think RLF/MNAT are perceived slightly higher, prestige-wise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(OP here). I had a CB with Potter Anderson and I really liked the people I met there. They have not yet gotten back to me either way. Even if I got an offer I would decline it in favor of RLF or MNAT: While the Big 4 (Young Conaway being the 4th) are basically "equal" I think RLF/MNAT are perceived slightly higher, prestige-wise.

The Potter Anderson people told me that the hiring committee meets every Tuesday, though I'm not sure when that started. One thing to at least consider when making this choice btw is that it appears that MNAT no-offered a decent amount of their summer class the last two years (unless I'm misinterpreting the NALP grid/they hired a bunch of clerks), while RLF has had 100% the past two years. Just something to consider.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:(OP here). I had a CB with Potter Anderson and I really liked the people I met there. They have not yet gotten back to me either way. Even if I got an offer I would decline it in favor of RLF or MNAT: While the Big 4 (Young Conaway being the 4th) are basically "equal" I think RLF/MNAT are perceived slightly higher, prestige-wise.

The Potter Anderson people told me that the hiring committee meets every Tuesday, though I'm not sure when that started. One thing to at least consider when making this choice btw is that it appears that MNAT no-offered a decent amount of their summer class the last two years (unless I'm misinterpreting the NALP grid/they hired a bunch of clerks), while RLF has had 100% the past two years. Just something to consider.

From MNAT's NALP:

Number of 2012 Summer 2Ls considered for associate offers 10
Number of offers made to summer 2L associates 10

*raises eyebrow*

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

From MNAT's NALP:

*raises eyebrow*

Hmm, am I just misreading the hiring grid then? Because it looks like they said they had 12 summers in 2011, and then 7 entry-level hires in 2012. And that they had 13 summers in 2012. If I'm just an idiot then I apologize.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:30 am

Well, clerkships can definitely throw that number off, because then a 2012 SA wouldn't start until 2014 or possibly 2015.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

From MNAT's NALP:

*raises eyebrow*

Hmm, am I just misreading the hiring grid then? Because it looks like they said they had 12 summers in 2011, and then 7 entry-level hires in 2012. And that they had 13 summers in 2012. If I'm just an idiot then I apologize.

Yea can't really tell what happened there. People may have split and then not accepted their offered which may explain some of the lower number of entry levels starting. But it is odd that 13 2Ls does not match up with the 10 considered for 2012. Why would they not consider everyone for a job?

Its possible there were 3 no-offers or that NALP is just not that accurate. I'd ask to get in touch with a former summer if you have an offer (that is generally a good idea anyway).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:33 am

I personally know an MNAT 2013 summer who split, was offered, but declined in favor of the other firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:35 am

Also, I know 2 MNAT 2013 summers and they told me of 13 summers all got offers except one person (who was aspie/did poor work)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:45 am

I am an associate at RLF.

I've never heard of or gotten the sense that anyone thinks MNAT is more prestigious.

RLF offers everyone and rarely if ever lays off. Neither are true at MNAT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am an associate at RLF.

I've never heard of or gotten the sense that anyone thinks MNAT is more prestigious.

An RLF associate (I've probably met you in interview process)! Tell us more. What should we factor in when deciding btwn DE firms? What is RLF/other DE firms general policy on splitting summers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:05 pm

Dear RLF associate: What's your work/life balance? I've heard MNAT is somewhat brutal. Same at RLF?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

An RLF associate (I've probably met you in interview process)! Tell us more. What should we factor in when deciding btwn DE firms? What is RLF/other DE firms general policy on splitting summers?

They're certainly not going to encourage splitting summers, and I do think they'll scrutinize your work more closely.

Work/life depends on the group. The upstairs groups are more intense, the downstairs ones less so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:12 pm

RLF associate: any thoughts on general exit ops? I'm sure that it depends on group, but for those who don't make partner etc, what do they end up doing?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:RLF associate: any thoughts on general exit ops? I'm sure that it depends on group, but for those who don't make partner etc, what do they end up doing?

Thanks!

I have seen: non-law of assorted types, local govt, fed govt, V100s in other cities, judgships.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:36 pm

RLF Associate:

How does the lockstep compensation work? What are the increases like per year?

eastcoast_iub

Postby eastcoast_iub » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, I know 2 MNAT 2013 summers and they told me of 13 summers all got offers except one person (who was aspie/did poor work)

For those who are interested, here are MNAT's offer statistics:

2013: 13/14
2012: 12/15
2010 + 2011: 100% from what I've heard.

MNAT and RLF are neck-and-neck prestige-wise. I'm not sure how MNAT billables stack up against RLF, but MNAT is the market leader among DE firms in compensation (Skadden being the only firm at $160k). As for layoffs, I don't know where the RLF poster got that from, but to my knowledge MNAT has not laid anyone off lately. They do have relatively high turnover, take that for what it's worth. Some practice areas much more than others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They're certainly not going to encourage splitting summers, and I do think they'll scrutinize your work more closely.

Work/life depends on the group. The upstairs groups are more intense, the downstairs ones less so.

Which are the upstairs groups and which are the downstairs groups?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Litigation/bankr upstairs, business/trusts/trans downstairs.

Return to “Legal Employment”