Latham chi vs winston chi, for lit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Latham or winston chi

Latham chi
85%
Winston chi
15%

Total votes: 27

Anonymous User

Latham chi vs winston chi, for lit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:14 pm

Would like to be an ausa aome day. I know winston has a longer tradition in chi, but the new ND Ill us attny is a latham partner.

Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Latham chi vs winston chi, for lit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:21 pm

Latham.

I'm at Latham in another office (similar size as Chicago) and have had the opportunity to meet/work with many people in Chicago. The firm is solidly among the top 10 firms nationally (of the elite global firms, it's in the top 3-5) and in Chicago it's up there with Kirkland.

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:21 pm

Winston is a slowly sinking ship that has no offered large portions of its summer class within the last two years and is rumored to have a "choke out" list. How is this even a question?

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Latham.

I'm at Latham in another office (similar size as Chicago) and have had the opportunity to meet/work with many people in Chicago. The firm is solidly among the top 10 firms nationally (of the elite global firms, it's in the top 3-5) and in Chicago it's up there with Kirkland.

I get rooting for your own team, but the bolded is objectively false.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:30 pm

2013applicant wrote:Winston is a slowly sinking ship that has no offered large portions of its summer class within the last two years and is rumored to have a "choke out" list. How is this even a question?

This.

Snape

Postby Snape » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Latham without a doubt

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:35 pm

2013applicant wrote:Winston is a slowly sinking ship that has no offered large portions of its summer class within the last two years and is rumored to have a "choke out" list. How is this even a question?

What is a choke list?

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Winston has gotten lots of hate for no-offerring people last summer, but latham is latham lets not forget, so there are concerns both ways

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Law Sauce wrote:Winston has gotten lots of hate for no-offerring people last summer, but latham is latham lets not forget, so there are concerns both ways

Yes, because a firm that fired a # of junior associates 4-5 years and is still thriving now is the same cause for concern as a firm that recently no offered 1/3 of its summer class and has been having documented financial difficulties.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only people who should be taking Winston & Strawn offers are those who have no other biglaw offers on the table.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Link to "documented financial difficulties"?

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:Link to "documented financial difficulties"?

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/08/nationwi ... on-strawn/

Laying off associates in additions to their no-offers.

And then if I recall correctly (I don't have access to Am Law anymore), this showed a dip in PPP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:Link to "documented financial difficulties"?

Well, they recently leased out or are in the process of leasing out several floors of their office, so there's that. I think this was a good call because all the empty offices made it feel like a ghost town.

I don't think they have a "choke list," although I've heard that rumor. Nobody cares enough to try to explicitly choke out people by denying them work (although this happens implicitly sometimes). Frankly, I didn't get the impression people paid much attention at all to what associates were doing there, although they have been pushing out tons of people for low hours.

That was pretty brutal, what they did to the summers last year. Pretty sure they no-offered more summers than any NLP 250 firm in the country that year. Tough to recover from that.

I really like a lot of people still at Winston, but I tend to agree with the advice to not take Winston over another market-paying firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:18 pm

This seems like a blow-out, do the two people who chose Winston have any justification?

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This seems like a blow-out, do the two people who chose Winston have any justification?

Maybe they work in Winston's recruiting department? No other rational justification.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:08 pm

2013applicant wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This seems like a blow-out, do the two people who chose Winston have any justification?

Maybe they work in Winston's recruiting department? No other rational justification.

This.

Return to “Legal Employment”