Chicago--Skadden vs. Jenner

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chicago--Skadden vs. Jenner

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:27 am

Hey all-- I'm currently attempting to choose between the Chicago offices of Skadden and Jenner. I had difficulty distinguishing between the two in terms of culture. Though I know Skadden is known to be a more grueling place to work, the Chicago office seemed to be full of happy, down to earth people with a good work/life balance. Jenner, as expected, appeared to have a similar vibe. I'm broadly interested in litigation and both firms seem to have great litigation groups. Can anyone share their thoughts about these offices/give me some advice on what else I should be factoring in when making a decision? I greatly appreciate all of your help! Thanks so much!

Anonymous User

Re: Chicago--Skadden vs. Jenner

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:29 am

Go with Jenner. Should be an easy decision

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Go with Jenner. Should be an easy decision

Why though? Can you elaborate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/usa/Editorial/98756

Band 1 vs. 3 for lit, and the culture at Jenner is on the whole nicer, more friendly, and more livable than Skadden. Skadden takes a "work hard, play hard" approach, which I think is nearly unsustainable in the long-term unless you plan on staying single and never having a family. (not that it can't be done, but it's much harder to have a life at Skadden). Anecdote-- everyone I've met at Jenner had fantastic personalities and were super friendly, and those at Skadden seemed pretty 1-dimensional.

Skadden didn't get it's name from lit, and Chi is a satellite office for them. Not so with Jenner.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/usa/Editorial/98756

Band 1 vs. 3 for lit, and the culture at Jenner is on the whole nicer, more friendly, and more livable than Skadden. Skadden takes a "work hard, play hard" approach, which I think is nearly unsustainable in the long-term unless you plan on staying single and never having a family. (not that it can't be done, but it's much harder to have a life at Skadden). Anecdote-- everyone I've met at Jenner had fantastic personalities and were super friendly, and those at Skadden seemed pretty 1-dimensional.

Skadden didn't get it's name from lit, and Chi is a satellite office for them. Not so with Jenner.

Agreed unless OP is not set on lit or not set on staying in Chicago. Skadden is a bigger name in the corporate area and has the better nationwide litigation practice.

If you are set on lit, I would not worry about exit options as much as I would focus on gaining skills and experience and beginning to build a practice. This is dependent on who you are working under, but I'm guessing it would be easier to get good experience and get good training from partners and senior associates at a place like Jenner than a place like Skadden. You probably have some sense of this, so trust your gut.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:37 am

OP here...

One other consideration is that I am not absolutely sure I want to end up in Chicago long term. I am very much interested in living in either DC or Chicago after law school, but I have not yet made up my mind as to which one would be best for me. It seems that Skadden is more flexible in allowing individuals to switch offices than Jenner. Skadden, for example, will allow me to split the summer between the Chicago and DC offices, while Jenner will not. That is not to say I will pick Skadden simply because of the perceived flexibility, but it is in the back of my mind. Still, if people think that Jenner is the better option regardless, then that would be very helpful for me to know. Thanks again!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:09 pm

Bump.

Return to “Legal Employment”