NYC: downtown v. midtown

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC: downtown v. midtown

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Which is better considering:
Ease of commute
Cost of housing
Restaurants
Things to do

Old Gregg

Re: NYC: downtown v. midtown

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:10 pm

Wouldn't ease of commute depend on where you live???

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which is better considering:
Ease of commute - depends on where you decide to live
Cost of housing - Financial district is cheaper, Village is expensive, Midtown is an awful place to live
Restaurants - Midtown, but dependent on what you like
Things to do - Midtown easily

Answered above, though I'm assuming you mean financial district by "downtown"

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Is this to work in or live in? I wouldn't live in either.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Housing downtown (at least in the Financial District) is cheaper and nicer, but there is less to do. There also tend to be a lot more tourists in midtown, so it's more crowded and can be tougher to get around.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Downtown is a very easy commute from a lot of Brooklyn, which has more to do than downtown and depending on how far out you go is quite a bit cheaper than Manhattan (the nearby parts aren't).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Best bang for your buck + great area to live is central park NW. Pretty much the boarder of Manhattan Valley, Morningside and Harlem. Really up and coming area with access to the B/C and 1/2/3 trains. Really good sized apartments are on the market there for pretty cheap comparatively and you have direct access to everything NYC has to offer. Would definitely consider it no matter where you work.

If Midtown v. Downtown:

- Ease of Commute - depends on where you live and work (obviously)
- Cost of Housing - Downtown is definitely cheaper - battery park and the rest of FiDi is pretty cheap relative to the size and quality of the apartments, however, SoHo, Tribecca, the village, etc are ridiculously expensive. Midtown is absurdly expensive and the apartments suck - literally have never seen a nice apartment in midtown that wasn't 4K a month +
- Restaurants - again, depends what you mean by downtown - the villege/soho/ABC city has amazing spots to eat. FiDi has meh spots and they get old real fast. Midtown, again, sucks and everything is overpriced, but there are some decent spots in Hells Kitchen.
- Things to do - doesn't matter, you can take a cab or the subway anywhere you want.

Honestly though, midtown fucking sucks, I would never live there. The best places to look would be East Village or ABC City. Also, where I recommended if you like the vibe of the UWS and want a more residential feel for 1/2 the price of the west village.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Best bang for your buck + great area to live is central park NW. Pretty much the boarder of Manhattan Valley, Morningside and Harlem. Really up and coming area with access to the B/C and 1/2/3 trains. Really good sized apartments are on the market there for pretty cheap comparatively and you have direct access to everything NYC has to offer. Would definitely consider it no matter where you work.

If Midtown v. Downtown:

- Cost of Housing - Downtown is definitely cheaper - battery park and the rest of FiDi is pretty cheap relative to the size and quality of the apartments, however, SoHo, Tribecca, the village, etc are ridiculously expensive. Midtown is absurdly expensive and the apartments suck - literally have never seen a nice apartment in midtown that wasn't 4K a month +
- Restaurants - again, depends what you mean by downtown - the villege/soho/ABC city has amazing spots to eat. FiDi has meh spots and they get old real fast. Midtown, again, sucks and everything is overpriced, but there are some decent spots in Hells Kitchen.
- Things to do - doesn't matter, you can take a cab or the subway anywhere you want.

Honestly though, midtown fucking sucks, I would never live there. The best places to look would be East Village or ABC City. Also, where I recommended if you like the vibe of the UWS and want a more residential feel for 1/2 the price of the west village.

There are plenty of nice, affordable apartments in HK and Midtown East/ Murray Hill. Given your recommendation of Alphabet City (LOL), I can tell that maybe you just don't like the type of people that live in midtown.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Best bang for your buck + great area to live is central park NW. Pretty much the boarder of Manhattan Valley, Morningside and Harlem. Really up and coming area with access to the B/C and 1/2/3 trains. Really good sized apartments are on the market there for pretty cheap comparatively and you have direct access to everything NYC has to offer. Would definitely consider it no matter where you work.

If Midtown v. Downtown:

There are plenty of nice, affordable apartments in HK and Midtown East/ Murray Hill. Given your recommendation of Alphabet City (LOL), I can tell that maybe you just don't like the type of people that live in midtown.

ABC CIty is awesome, tons of great spots to eat and great laid back bars, maybe not the best for some awesome biglaw lawyer, but its one of the few remaining laid back spots in the city. It's not the people in midtown, I have plenty of friends that live there, its just the fact that midtown sucks. Traffic is brutal, no parking anywhere if people want to visit you, and there is nothing exceptional about getting a 1 bedroom closet with no AC for 3,200 bucks. Other than HK, there is not one area that is appealing other than ease of commute.

guano

Postby guano » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Alphabet city is not a good idea for a working professional (too far from the subway)

haroldfordIII

Postby haroldfordIII » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:32 pm

If you work downtown, you'd also have jersey city + hoboken as options (great housing for a lot less than manhattan).

guano

Postby guano » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:38 pm

haroldfordIII wrote:If you work downtown, you'd also have jersey city + hoboken as options (great housing for a lot less than manhattan).

JC is a fucking ghetto, but Hoboken is credited - refresh my memory, how often does the path run?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Even if I worked in midtown I wouldn't want to live in that area, especially midtown west. Maybe midtown east or Hell's Kitchen but if you're going that far out might as well look somewhere else entirely.

haroldfordIII

Postby haroldfordIII » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:42 pm

guano wrote:
haroldfordIII wrote:If you work downtown, you'd also have jersey city + hoboken as options (great housing for a lot less than manhattan).

JC is a fucking ghetto, but Hoboken is credited - refresh my memory, how often does the path run?

During weekday from Hoboken to WTC, every 10 mins; it's a 10min ride total.

guano

Postby guano » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:44 pm

anon168 wrote:Even if I worked in midtown I wouldn't want to live in that area, especially midtown west. Maybe midtown east or Hell's Kitchen but if you're going that far out might as well look somewhere else entirely.

Depends: midtown east you can live in Murray hill or the UES
Midtown west and you can live in UWS, Chelsea or the Village.

All of those options are reasonable commutes

guano

Postby guano » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:44 pm

haroldfordIII wrote:
guano wrote:

What about late night?

haroldfordIII

Postby haroldfordIII » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:46 pm

guano wrote:
haroldfordIII wrote:
guano wrote:

What about late night?

http://www.panynj.gov/path/full-schedules.html

If you are talking from NY to hoboken, I'd just bank on the firm car service.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:47 pm

guano wrote:

Exchange Place and Paulus Hook are cleaner and nicer than the nicest parts of Manhattan. Also, no city tax.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:48 pm

guano wrote:
haroldfordIII wrote:
guano wrote:

What about late night?

The areas that I'm talking about above are 100% safe. Take this as a biglaw associate who lives and commutes from there. Also my apartment is nicer than yoursz

guano

Postby guano » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The areas that I'm talking about above are 100% safe. Take this as a biglaw associate who lives and commutes from there. Also my apartment is nicer than yoursz

JC might be safe, but it's a dumb. Hoboken is great, but late at night the commute's a bitch. And I severely doubt you've got nicer accommodations than me, but that's not part if the discussion

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:55 pm

guano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

JC might be safe, but it's a dumb. Hoboken is great, but late at night the commute's a bitch. And I severely doubt you've got nicer accommodations than me, but that's not part if the discussion

How's it dumb??? If you work in FiDi, your commute is 10 minutes. You save $700 a month on city tax, and your rent is lower. Also the apartments have central heating, floor to ceiling windows, etc. basically your manhattan mima rental in JC.

Hoboken is great too... More to do for sure, but commute is not nearly as good. Also, they had no path for like 5 months after sandy because entire area was underwater.

Either way, it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about LOL

haroldfordIII

Postby haroldfordIII » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:56 pm

guano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just to advocate for JC a bit. I've personally been in the building below and it's spectacular. Area's pretty nice too. Bottom line: if BK is in the convo, then JC and Hoboken should be as well. Commuting issues are a wash.

http://www.monacojc.com/

guano

Postby guano » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:02 am

I meant to say dump, not dumb. Like I said before, Hoboken is definitely a cool place and I'd say a better option than Brooklyn, but I recall long waits for the path late at night, so I thought I'd ask. JC is no worse than LIC or upper Harlem, but I wouldn't want to live there either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:08 am

guano wrote:I meant to say dump, not dumb. Like I said before, Hoboken is definitely a cool place and I'd say a better option than Brooklyn, but I recall long waits for the path late at night, so I thought I'd ask. JC is no worse than LIC or upper Harlem, but I wouldn't want to live there either.

Again, what are we comparing? I'd never, ever live in Journal Square. But Exchange Place? Paulus Hook? Those areas are crazy fucking clean, way cleaner and nicer than any area of Manhattan. Easily.

Is there a lot to do in Jersey City? No. That's the big flaw. Mostly a community of families as opposed to singles (Hoboken). I'd say the border between "dump" and "super nice" is just beyond the Grove Street Path Station.

As a first year, I was living in one of the nicest areas of Manhattan. My area and place in JC is 10x better, and my rent $800 cheaper, and my paycheck $700 higher.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:15 am

Needs more info. Where is your office, what do you like to do, what do you mean by "midtown" and "downtown."

Return to “Legal Employment”