Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:00 pm

I have offers at all of the above and am genuinely confused as to where I should work. I don't know if I want to do lit or corp and I don't care if I'm in LA or NY. I liked the people at KE LA the best, but they will only allow me to do litigation. Any advice on how to decide?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Hey gang, here's a bunch of offices and no info on my preferences. Where should I go

Edit: since you have asked for advice on how to reach a decision, here's a good two-step decision-making process. Step 1: decide what you want. Step 2: pick a firm based on what you want. Judging by this thread, you should spend some time on step 1.
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:26 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Hey gang, here's a bunch of offices and no info on my preferences. Where should I go?

I'm split between lit and corp. Really have no experience in either. The idea of MA, Private Equity, Appellate Lit, and White Collar sounds interesting but I haven't done anything in any of those fields before, so I don't really know.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Hey gang, here's a bunch of offices and no info on my preferences. Where should I go?

I'm split between lit and corp. Really have no experience in either. The idea of MA, Private Equity, Appellate Lit, and White Collar sounds interesting but I haven't done anything in any of those fields before, so I don't really know.


I think the bigger issue here is the lack of preference between cities, not practice areas. I think, as a threshold matter, you have to pick where you want a live, and then the firm that lets you do what you want to do. No one here can convince you to choose between NY vs. LA. That really has to come from you. Otherwise, you will have people here just post random observations about these firms with no basis for comparison across markets.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Hey gang, here's a bunch of offices and no info on my preferences. Where should I go

Edit: since you have asked for advice on how to reach a decision, here's a good two-step decision-making process. Step 1: decide what you want. Step 2: pick a firm based on what you want. Judging by this thread, you should spend some time on step 1.


It's not at all uncommon not to know specifically what you want to do as a rising 2L. Bigger issue is lack of preference between markets.

maximator
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:33 am

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby maximator » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:31 pm

It sounds like you should pick one that will let you sample from different groups, if that is an option.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15513
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Sounds like you should cross off KE LA if they aren't going to let you do corp when you might have an interest in it. Beyond that, you have to pick a city. If your ultimate goal is to end up in LA I'd say just head there now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:42 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Sounds like you should cross off KE LA if they aren't going to let you do corp when you might have an interest in it. Beyond that, you have to pick a city. If your ultimate goal is to end up in LA I'd say just head there now.


I'm honestly okay with either city and am having a great deal of trouble deciding. Lets say, if i go to ny, what firm do you think is best? Similarly, if i choose LA, which would you prefer?

User avatar
JDflowergirl
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby JDflowergirl » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Usually people don't know what they want to do but they are usually leaning towards corp or lit. If you end up picking NY, you should prob go to PW if you are leaning towards lit and KE if you are leaning towards corp. But if you are still undecided I would vote for KE.

I have no knowledge of what happens at LA firms so hopefully someone else can help.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:54 pm

Gibson and Kirkland have really different cultures. You really don't have any preference between the two??

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Gibson LA if you're looking for a rotation. NY if you're looking for better exit options. If you're really not sure what you want to do, not having a rotation will suck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:08 pm

What is the difference between Kirkland NY and Kirkland LA in terms of exit options?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby bdubs » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:17 pm

New York gives you the most flexibility and KE is probably the better firm to pick there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the difference between Kirkland NY and Kirkland LA in terms of exit options?


The most likely exits come down to the clients you're working with, which will most likely be region specific. But since K&E has a national brand name, name recognition (which is really a distant second to an established working relationship for going in-house, and which is not a difficult threshold to achieve for any big firm) won't really hold you back anywhere.

horseradish
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby horseradish » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Sounds like you should cross off KE LA if they aren't going to let you do corp when you might have an interest in it. Beyond that, you have to pick a city. If your ultimate goal is to end up in LA I'd say just head there now.


I'm honestly okay with either city and am having a great deal of trouble deciding. Lets say, if i go to ny, what firm do you think is best? Similarly, if i choose LA, which would you prefer?



You could see if any of the firms will let you split between offices...

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby koalatriste » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:26 pm

I like the idea of a split here.

Preferably between either Sidley NY/LA and Gibson NY/LA. I have eliminated PW because they do not (to my knowledge) have an LA office and K&E LA apparently won't let you do corporate, so that eliminates them.

For me, this comes down to Sidley versus Gibson, assuming they both allow the split. If one doesn't and the other does, there's your winner.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss NY vs KE NY vs KE LA vs Sidley LA vs Gibson LA

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:00 pm

koalatriste wrote:I like the idea of a split here.

Preferably between either Sidley NY/LA and Gibson NY/LA. I have eliminated PW because they do not (to my knowledge) have an LA office and K&E LA apparently won't let you do corporate, so that eliminates them.

For me, this comes down to Sidley versus Gibson, assuming they both allow the split. If one doesn't and the other does, there's your winner.


Gibson sounds like a great choice here.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.