CB with a firm you didn't bid at OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CB with a firm you didn't bid at OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:08 pm

The title is pretty self-explanatory. It didn't come up during my screener, but in the event that it comes up during my CB what are some good ways of addressing this? In the 'Bad Interview Moments' thread, someone said that this was the way to handle the question:

"Well, A+ has to take into account that it is an uncomfortable question. One of the best responses I've heard to the question was that the person had done additional research since bidding on OCI and now realized that the firm was actually a fit for their interest for X, Y, and Z reasons. The reasons were solid, the response was confident, with just the right amount of acknowledgment that this was something that, in an ideal world, the person would have done before OCI. Sure it was canned, but not an implausible lie and the answer incorporated a "Why this firm" spin, which led to a natural discussion of the person's interests."

The issue I'm encountering is that there's no significant difference between this firm and any of the firms I did bid at OCI. It's a large firm that has a variety of practice areas and is in my desired market. I didn't bid this firm because they have a small summer class whereas the firms I did bid have large(r) summer classes.

Any advice?

Tiago Splitter

Re: CB with a firm you didn't bid at OCI

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:12 pm

If the firm was oversubscribed during OCI you can always blame it on the vagaries of the bidding process. They have no idea what your bid list actually looked like. The higher the bid/interview ratio for this firm the better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:If the firm was oversubscribed during OCI you can always blame it on the vagaries of the bidding process. They have no idea what your bid list actually looked like. The higher the bid/interview ratio for this firm the better.

I've heard that firms actually receive a list of every student who did in fact bid on them, regardless of whether or not they actually got an interview through the lottery. Not sure whether or not they'd double-check this, but I'd rather not have it blow up in my face if so.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:If the firm was oversubscribed during OCI you can always blame it on the vagaries of the bidding process. They have no idea what your bid list actually looked like. The higher the bid/interview ratio for this firm the better.

I've heard that firms actually receive a list of every student who did in fact bid on them, regardless of whether or not they actually got an interview through the lottery. Not sure whether or not they'd double-check this, but I'd rather not have it blow up in my face if so.

That's how it works at my school's OCI. Names + resumes of all bidders. I guess the idea is that if the firm likes the unsuccessful bidders enough, they might add interview slots or make other arrangements.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:29 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's how it works at my school's OCI. Names + resumes of all bidders. I guess the idea is that if the firm likes the unsuccessful bidders enough, they might add interview slots or make other arrangements.

I'm guessing that's the same thing here. However, I didn't bid this particular firm at all. There's nothing new that I discovered about this firm that I didn't know before, so it's hard for me to come up with a reason why I didn't bid them but now really want to be there... I didn't bid them because they have a small summer class and thought it would be a wasted bid, so I mass-mailed them instead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:56 pm

OCI is a process that many 2ls go into with incomplete information. Firms know that. Just have a story about the research u have done since oci bidding.do not worry too much about the screener you've made it past that. The reason why firms have events for people that have offers is because they know that even those people dont have all the info.

Return to “Legal Employment”