Telling a Firm You'll Accept

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Telling a Firm You'll Accept

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm heading to a secondary market CB on Friday. I'm T14 with grades well above the median of what the firm usually hires. I have other offers, in NYC/DC, but I'm absolutely certain this is the firm I want to work at. Is there a best time to play the "I'll accept if I'm offered a SA" card?

2013applicant

Re: Telling a Firm You'll Accept

Postby 2013applicant » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a best time to play the "I'll accept if I'm offered a SA" card?

My two cents:

Never. Say the firm is your top choice, say you love [secondary market], but never tell them unequivocally that you will accept an offer if given one.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:12 pm

My opinion: saying you'd accept if offered reeks of desperation imo and is more likely to backfire than be helpful. Of course be enthusiastic and say things like they are a top choice, though I'd lean away from saying they are the top choice.

Others may disagree though and I'm not 100 percent sure I'm right.

chem

Postby chem » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm heading to a secondary market CB on Friday. I'm T14 with grades well above the median of what the firm usually hires. I have other offers, in NYC/DC, but I'm absolutely certain this is the firm I want to work at. Is there a best time to play the "I'll accept if I'm offered a SA" card?

Usually either when they ask "why this firm", secondarily "why this market". Why this firm you can let it be the natural punctuation to the thought. I like x. I like y. I like z. So if I was offered here, I would accept immediately because I want x y and z

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Just to play devil's advocate, I think a firm very conscious of their yield may like to hear that you would sign given the offer. Especially if you're way above median at your school, firms generally will assume you'll have some choices so you won't come off looking desperate here IMO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just to play devil's advocate, I think a firm very conscious of their yield may like to hear that you would sign given the offer. Especially if you're way above median at your school, firms generally will assume you'll have some choices so you won't come off looking desperate here IMO.

+1, especially because it's a secondary market. For a firm that I really want in a city where I have no ties, they kept asking me why I want to be in that city and I realized it was a lot more about whether I'd actually come there than whether they thought I fit their qualifications. In that situation, saying they're your top choice can only help. I would be very careful about it if you're anything but sure though; if you are, do it but don't make it your only pitch, fit it into your pitch seamlessly.

chem

Postby chem » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:19 pm

bk1 wrote:My opinion: saying you'd accept if offered reeks of desperation imo and is more likely to backfire than be helpful. Of course be enthusiastic and say things like they are a top choice, though I'd lean away from saying they are the top choice.

Others may disagree though and I'm not 100 percent sure I'm right.

FWIW, I was asked what i would do if extended an offer. I said accept. They offered. I accepted. Pre OGI, so I dont know if it looked desperate or not. It did make a very positive impression that I was a) commited to the firm, b) my answers to why the firm in the interview were not BS, and c) I was a person of my word.

I don't really think it can hurt at all. Especially if you say something like "going in it was on my short list, but after talking to everyone here and talking to people at other firms I can confidently say this is my first choice

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:43 pm

OP here. Thanks for the feedback. The firm only has a handful of SAs ( < 5 ) so I'm thinking it would be at least vaguely yield conscious. But I also understand the "reeks of desperation" and "make them want you" perspectives - I think what I'll do is play it by ear. If I have a good rapport with a partner, and "what are your other options?" comes up, I'll make the move in that seamless "after talking to people and thinking about what I want to do with my career" way.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:50 pm

I think reality is that it can work well and it can backfire. It depends partly how you work it in and partly on your interviewer. I'm not sure what is more likely though. As I said above, my guess is that backfiring is more likely but that's just a hunch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:59 pm

I said something similar for a firm that I really wanted in a secondary market where I have no ties (other than law school). I told them they were my "ideal" firm and explained why (small city, interesting work, etc.). I felt like that demonstrated that I was serious without committing 100% to accepting an offer. Got the offer.

Also, if your grades are very high, saying something like this shows that you are serious and not just going to pass them up for something more prestigious or in a larger market. Good luck!

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:28 pm

Saying I will accept might also come a little too harshly. I think you have to say that but without using those words. Maybe something along the lines of "I cannot imagine a better firm for me, since I really want to be in this market, and want to work in this practice area (practice area where they are the best at)." I do know for a fact that some firms really care about making clear that you want to be there, particularly firms in shitty places.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:35 pm

I think it might not be a bad thing if, should it come up during an interview, you mentioned that you have outstanding offers in other markets but would really prefer to be in this one. If it doesn't come up, try following up in a week or two if you don't get a response and tell them that if you have outstanding offers that you need to make a decision one and that you'd really like to be able to consider their offer before making a decision. I did this for a firm and was offered a position shortly after.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:55 pm

I think it's perfectly fine to allude to "other firms you're considering" (i.e. have offers from) but say that X is the firm you *really* want to work at. I did it and got the offer.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:08 pm

It might be a good idea to draft an employment contract for a summer associate position with the firm, sign it, and then bring it to the CB and ask them to sign.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:It might be a good idea to draft an employment contract for a summer associate position with the firm, sign it, and then bring it to the CB and ask them to sign.

:lol: /thread

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think it's perfectly fine to allude to "other firms you're considering" (i.e. have offers from) but say that X is the firm you *really* want to work at. I did it and got the offer.

+1. Say something along the lines of "I have offer(s) at another firm, so now I am fortunate in that I am only interviewing at my top choice firms, including Big & Law LLP." You don't sound desperate but clearly demonstrate interest.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:22 am

Saying something like that should be fine. You already have offers elsewhere, and a lot of firms (or at least partners at firms) tend to encourage the whole "call us if you get another offer and we'll see what we can do" stuff. Should be fine to work it into the "Why this market" or "Why this firm" question which you'll undoubtedly be asked since this is at a secondary market.

Just IMO. It shouldn't reek of desperation when you already have offers elsewhere, and more than likely at more nationally-prestigious firms. You also noted your grades are well above what they normally hire so saying something that can really help them know that you're serious.

J. D.

Postby J. D. » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:08 am

What I encountered was that the firm offered and then gave me a couple weeks to decide but when the SA was over the firm wanted to know if I would accept their offer (prior to actually drawing up the offer). Is this normal for a firm (assuming there is a normal)?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:54 am

J. D. wrote:What I encountered was that the firm offered and then gave me a couple weeks to decide but when the SA was over the firm wanted to know if I would accept their offer (prior to actually drawing up the offer). Is this normal for a firm (assuming there is a normal)?

You realize this thread is about getting an SA offer, not getting an offer after finishing your SA, right?

Return to “Legal Employment”