depression

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

depression

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:58 am

So, I'm going through 2L call backs and dealing with some shit. One of my immediate family members died and they suspect another family member. I feel like I'm losing my fucking mind. I'm in a city where I don't really know anyone. I have a great GPA, T14. But I swear to god, I feel like I'm being torn apart. I don't know what to do. I'm in therapy, and it's not enough. If I check myself into a mental hospital is it going to affect the bar? I literally am being torn apart and I just don't even know what to do. I can't sleep, I need distraction 24/7 (shown by a 5am post). I don't know if this is something meds help or not. What the fuck do I do?

This is in this forum because I demand anonymity. Delete it rather than out me if it's wrong forum.

Part of my hesitation is that I know people thing depressed people are downers. I don't want to drag anyone with me, so I really do everything I can to not talk about it in real life.

rouser

Re: depression

Postby rouser » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:01 am

find some cool people to hang out with...and try to stay positive. try not to drink every day though. also, try to have a somewhat simple goal, like try to have the mentality that you are on the right track towards having your own house some day. have to look at the big picture on this kind of thing.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:03 am

Take a leave of absence.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:05 am

I would contact someone at your university who can help, like a dean who advises with such things. I'd also contact a local support group for lawyers going through mental health issues. Don't do this alone. I really hope everything works out.

equality7-2521

Postby equality7-2521 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:55 am

Last edited by equality7-2521 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:22 am

Sorry to hear about your struggles. I'd recommend being honest with your therapist and having them recommend you some courses of action, if you can wait until you see him/her next.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:35 am

Good luck to you. Try and stay positive. Talk to your therapist ASAP.

target

Postby target » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:38 am

IAFG wrote:Take a leave of absence.

This. Take time off. Go home. Get your shit together. Then come back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:26 pm

please reach out to the people you trust. i guarantee your friends and family want to help. they can't do that unless they know that you need it. depressed people are NOT downers--they're going through some of life's shittiest times. things may be foggy right now but please remember that if you're going through hell keep going because it gets better.

my dad lost a decades long battle with cancer in college--definitely NOT the same thing you're going through--i was depressed for about a year beforehand and a year after. some people were too selfish to stop and be a kind human about it. and others were really amazing and supportive. i got a little irrational sometimes and what saved me from going off the rails were my one or two friends that were solid.

if you don't share with the few people you trust what you're going through then they can't be there for you to help you through this. don't bottle it up inside. reach out. people care. i care. your friends who know and love you will care even more.

Void

Postby Void » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Seek help. Depression is a totally natural response to what you're experiencing, and it doesn't mean you're crazy or weak or a downer. As another poster said, bar rules vary by state but it's my understanding that no state flat out rejects applicants for mental health history- especially for something like depression. Also, +1 to the recommendation to speak to a counselor or other therapist at your school first. Most schools provide these services, and a person in that position will understand your situation as a law student

Seriously, though- talk to a professional and don't feel ashamed or afraid that there will be some kind of consequence. As terrible and hopeless as you might feel right now, you can move forward with some help. Good luck!

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I'm going through 2L call backs and dealing with some shit. One of my immediate family members died and they suspect another family member. I feel like I'm losing my fucking mind. I'm in a city where I don't really know anyone. I have a great GPA, T14. But I swear to god, I feel like I'm being torn apart. I don't know what to do. I'm in therapy, and it's not enough. If I check myself into a mental hospital is it going to affect the bar? I literally am being torn apart and I just don't even know what to do. I can't sleep, I need distraction 24/7 (shown by a 5am post). I don't know if this is something meds help or not. What the fuck do I do?

This is in this forum because I demand anonymity. Delete it rather than out me if it's wrong forum.

Part of my hesitation is that I know people thing depressed people are downers. I don't want to drag anyone with me, so I really do everything I can to not talk about it in real life.

Please, please consider yourself first. A law career comes second. Not only do many (most?) C&Fs have safe harbors for self-reported assistance, but more importantly if you don't take care of yourself now, it all might be for nothing. I am not just talking about self-harm, but also the manic or erratic behavior that can accompany depression. I think you should email the Dean of students and ask for an immediate leave of absence due to extreme personal issues, check into an inpatient facility, get treatment, and then try and pick up the pieces when you get out.

Hopefully the Dean will be a human being and let you take up where you left off (whether it be in a week or 6 months). However, if you are comfortable making a big stink with the university (and if its a public institute of higher learning, your Congressmen's office), my gut (and minimal experience) tells me that you can probably get your tuition back, traces of the partial semester removed, and re enrolled in the next fall.

I am sorry this happened to you and I can tell you from experience, that no matter how messed up it is and how bad you feel, eventually you will return to a mostly even keel. Take care of yourself

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would contact someone at your university who can help, like a dean who advises with such things. I'd also contact a local support group for lawyers going through mental health issues. Don't do this alone. I really hope everything works out.

I second the suggestion to talk to your law school's dean of student affairs or whatever they're called. Just say you want to talk about your options and see what resources might be available. good luck :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Life throws us curve balls and of course, they don't always come at the best times. Don't worry about OCI or the Bar right now. If the legal profession would not respect a person's wishes to properly take care of their mental (or physical) health, then honest, f*ck 'em. But the reality is, they will understand.

Go home. Go to your family or to whomever you need right now. If you need to check in as an inpatient, go for it. Often times, there are wonderful support groups that work even better than inpatient mental health (which really is just meant to protect people from hurting themselves and to get initial, immediate, short-term stabilization of a mental health problem...ie. start meds, get a doctor, get a therapist, etc). By all means, if you are having suicidal or homicidal thoughts, GO to hospital. But otherwise, you may be able to find better support outside of inpatient mental health (I am a RN and worked inpatient psych for many years before law school).

It may mean seeing a therapist 2x a week for a while or finding a new therapist or getting on different medications. Find support groups (there are usually great ones for grief and loss). Check local hospitals and churches for listings or even a simple Google search may help you. And your university should also be able to provide you with resources as well. Schools also allow for time off when needed (such as now).

Hang in there. Know there are resources out there to help you. But seriously, life is short. Take care of YOU first and everything else will fall into place. Sending you good thoughts!!

Return to “Legal Employment”