open sign up for preselect?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

open sign up for preselect?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:27 pm

If our school had a preselect OCI but also an open sign up period. Would there be a point in signing up for an open slot if I was not preselected? Doesn't that mean that they already looked at my resume and didn't like it, so there's no point in signing up for the open slot because they already 'decided' they didn't want me? or do I still have a chance?

UnderrateOverachieve

Re: open sign up for preselect?

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If our school had a preselect OCI but also an open sign up period. Would there be a point in signing up for an open slot if I was not preselected? Doesn't that mean that they already looked at my resume and didn't like it, so there's no point in signing up for the open slot because they already 'decided' they didn't want me? or do I still have a chance?

Shut up and get an interview

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If our school had a preselect OCI but also an open sign up period. Would there be a point in signing up for an open slot if I was not preselected? Doesn't that mean that they already looked at my resume and didn't like it, so there's no point in signing up for the open slot because they already 'decided' they didn't want me? or do I still have a chance?

I do not get it why people ever ask such questions. You lose nothing by interviewing. Nothing. So why would you not do it? Why?? Questions like this should be banned from this forum.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:04 pm

Can't win if you don't play.

wiz

Postby wiz » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:08 pm

I have a CB at a firm that didn't preselect me, so yeah, sign up for the damn interview.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:27 am

Pokemon wrote:

I do not get it why people ever ask such questions. You lose nothing by interviewing. Nothing. So why would you not do it? Why?? Questions like this should be banned from this forum.

I think an honest poster involved in BigLaw recruiting will admit that there is a large chunk of interviewing that is pure reach around jerking off. In that scenario, you literally lose time, energy, and suffer a couple of wrinkles in your suit, and none of it is worthwhile.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:30 am

That's true A.Nony. I change my stance. OP should take the interview for the practice. Any real-life practice is invaluable. But that's all it might be--practice. Focus on the firms that will take their heads out of their asses and give you a good look--they're out there and they pay well.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:33 am

If there is no limit to how many open slots you can sign up for and you have at least some shot at the firm, it's worth it. You can impress someone in an interview that might not have been impressed with your résumé.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:42 am

mr. wednesday wrote:If there is no limit to how many open slots you can sign up for and you have at least some shot at the firm, it's worth it. You can impress someone in an interview that might not have been impressed with your résumé.

For the practice--do it. But don't count on impressing anybody.

Think of how this works. Maybe that "someone" you impress is an associate. If you're a preselect school, it probably is. The associate rolls into OCI with a little OCI binder with a sheet that specifies a school-specific "GPA target." This is a target that the partner-dominated hiring committee has set for the school. If you're below the cut, why would the associate recommend you for a callback? Either her callback calls are automatic or they have to be screened through the weekly committee meeting. Either way, she'll have to explain herself to the partners of the committee--either to get you the callback or to get you an offer after the callback.

As with any committee, every member has a veto. If the committee already set the GPA target, the associate who calls you back has to convince everybody who already voted to cut people with your GPA to hire you anyway. Why would an associate go through that trouble, especially if you, like many summers, might just turn out to suck and cause people extra work?

The only reason is that there isn't anybody above the cutoff to replace you. Well, ITE, there is.

The only reason they're interviewing a full schedule and not just the ten or so students that they really want is because they've already traveled this far, they already have a hotel room, they have a firm non-billable hours requirement to hit, and...they're maybe starting their vacation the next day anyway. Oh, and they want the campus to feel all warm and fuzzy about the firm, lest next cycle, those ten people that they really want won't bid.

Return to “Legal Employment”