Exit options from DLA Piper?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Exit options from DLA Piper?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:02 pm

What happens to the multitudes of associates who are no longer looking to enjoy DLA Piper? Does the name-brand recognition and V50 ranking mean anything, or do most wind up in shitlaw?

Anonymous User

Re: Exit options from DLA Piper?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What happens to the multitudes of associates who are no longer looking to enjoy DLA Piper? Does the name-brand recognition and V50 ranking mean anything, or do most wind up in shitlaw?

Curious about this also.

And if anyone knows about their salary/bonus situation, that info would be appreciated also.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What happens to the multitudes of associates who are no longer looking to enjoy DLA Piper? Does the name-brand recognition and V50 ranking mean anything, or do most wind up in shitlaw?

Transactional or litigation DLA Piper?
And I do not think most litigation biglaw attorneys end up in shitlaw. There are plenty, plenty, plenty of mid-sized firms that would never higher a law school graduate but are quite happy to hire former associates of biglaw firms. I worked at one such firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:18 pm

According to Chambers, salary is in the 145-160k range. I assume that means that the major markets (NY, DC, LA, SF, etc.) are getting 160 and the secondary markets (Minneapolis, Phoenix, etc.) are getting 145... I could be wrong, though, so if anyone has first-hand knowledge I'd be happy to learn.

As for bonuses, http://abovethelaw.com/2011/05/associate-bonus-watch-dla-pipers-people-pipe-up/... This article is fairly dated but I'm having a bit of trouble finding current information.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:19 pm

Litigation is where I'm currently leaning, but I'm also curious about exit options for their transactional associates (things might change, plus you're not guaranteed to end up in the department you want at DLA).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Litigation is where I'm currently leaning, but I'm also curious about exit options for their transactional associates (things might change, plus you're not guaranteed to end up in the department you want at DLA).

The litigation boutique I worked over the summer primarily hired former V-100 litigation attorneys. Their expectation was however that you knew how to conduct some of the work... so as long as you get substantive experience at DLA, as opposed to just doing doc review, you would be a good candidate for such firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Litigation is where I'm currently leaning, but I'm also curious about exit options for their transactional associates (things might change, plus you're not guaranteed to end up in the department you want at DLA).

The litigation boutique I worked over the summer primarily hired former V-100 litigation attorneys. Their expectation was however that you knew how to conduct some of the work... so as long as you get substantive experience at DLA, as opposed to just doing doc review, you would be a good candidate for such firms.

Thanks for chiming in. Glad to know that, though TLS and many law students give DLA a fair bit of grief for various reasons, the experience does carry some weight with regards to options later on down the road.

Return to “Legal Employment”