Willkie Culture?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Willkie Culture?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:25 pm

Saw threads on Willkie CBs and other firm cultures but not this - anyone have any insights beyond its rep for being more friendly and not a place for screamers? I have an offer there and from a couple of peer firms, want corporate work and they all seem strong in that area, so I'm trying to decide based on fit and I think it might be the place for me. I'm friendly and outgoing but not too fratty (I was in a sorority but it was more the philanthropic/bookish crew) and I'm a marathoner and squash player so being at a firm where others are into "healthy habits" is important to me. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Willkie Culture?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Saw threads on Willkie CBs and other firm cultures but not this - anyone have any insights beyond its rep for being more friendly and not a place for screamers? I have an offer there and from a couple of peer firms, want corporate work and they all seem strong in that area, so I'm trying to decide based on fit and I think it might be the place for me. I'm friendly and outgoing but not too fratty (I was in a sorority but it was more the philanthropic/bookish crew) and I'm a marathoner and squash player so being at a firm where others are into "healthy habits" is important to me. Thoughts?

Although Willkie has a fratty reputation, it's not like everyone there parties like crazy. I summered there this past summer and can definitely say that we were never pressured to drink more than we wanted to. There was an open bar at every one of our summer events; some people drank less than others and no one cared.

As far as "health habits" are concerned, we get free breakfast every morning and there are healthy options like whole wheat bagels, yogurt, and fruit. We also get snacks during the day and the firm does a good job of providing healthy snacks like granola bars and fruit. Also, you can count on always having skim milk for your coffee or tea.

There's also a softball team that everyone is really into. They're always looking for girls to play, so you would be everyone's favorite if you showed up on your first day and volunteered to do softball.

Finally, although all associates at Biglaw firms work crazy hours, it seems like Willkie associates have better hours than associates at a lot of other firms, which means you'll probably be able to get more gym time in than you would somewhere else (or, you could opt to jog through Central Park, which you'll be able to see right from the office).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:48 pm

OP here - thanks for the response. I've never played softball but it's probably something I would be into as long as they don't expect much, and that info is exactly what I was looking for.

Any other more general thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:40 am

Also interested in willkie culture here (different than OP, but seemed friendly to me too)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also interested in willkie culture here (different than OP, but seemed friendly to me too)

Bump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also interested in willkie culture here (different than OP, but seemed friendly to me too)

Bump.

Just FYI, I and some other 2013 summers posted our impressions in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=213955&hilit=willkie

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bump.

Just FYI, I and some other 2013 summers posted our impressions in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=213955&hilit=willkie

Work hard, play hard.

Return to “Legal Employment”