Any advice on how to maintain my professional reputation?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any advice on how to maintain my professional reputation?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Here's the situation. After a callback with a firm I really, really like, I told one of the partners I met with that I felt that his firm was a great fit for me and that I hoped to hear from them soon because I'd be happy to accept an offer (he was asking about my other callbacks, so it didn't come off in a desperate way). However, since that time, I've come to learn that this firm has no-offered a number of summers in the past. This information wasn't available online and I wasn't aware of it during my callback.

I haven't received an offer from this firm yet and I may never receive one (which would alleviate the entire situation). However, what happens if they do give me an offer? Even though I would love to be at this firm, the knowledge that there's a decent chance of being no-offered is making me think I should go with one of my other options. I know I'm not legally bound to what I said, but is there a "right" way to go against my word in this situation?

RELIC

Re: Any advice on how to maintain my professional reputation?

Postby RELIC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's the situation. After a callback with a firm I really, really like, I told one of the partners I met with that I felt that his firm was a great fit for me and that I hoped to hear from them soon because I'd be happy to accept an offer (he was asking about my other callbacks, so it didn't come off in a desperate way). However, since that time, I've come to learn that this firm has no-offered a number of summers in the past. This information wasn't available online and I wasn't aware of it during my callback.

I haven't received an offer from this firm yet and I may never receive one (which would alleviate the entire situation). However, what happens if they do give me an offer? Even though I would love to be at this firm, the knowledge that there's a decent chance of being no-offered is making me think I should go with one of my other options. I know I'm not legally bound to what I said, but is there a "right" way to go against my word in this situation?

No one will care or remember what you said. Just turn them down.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:42 pm

RELIC wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here's the situation. After a callback with a firm I really, really like, I told one of the partners I met with that I felt that his firm was a great fit for me and that I hoped to hear from them soon because I'd be happy to accept an offer (he was asking about my other callbacks, so it didn't come off in a desperate way). However, since that time, I've come to learn that this firm has no-offered a number of summers in the past. This information wasn't available online and I wasn't aware of it during my callback.

No one will care or remember what you said. Just turn them down.

This was my first thought as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks guys. Glad to know they won't bat an eye.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks guys. Glad to know they won't bat an eye.

More important is go forward knowing firms and employers are actively seeking for ways to fuck you over and fire you for something cheaper.

You owe no loyalty to these schmucks beyond what is necessary to get and keep the jerb.

Void

Postby Void » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:43 pm

Agreed. These guys hear "you're my first choice and I will accept immediately" all the time, and it goes in one ear and out the other. Just decline in a professional manner (or even withdraw now!) and you'll be totally fine

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:02 am

Alternatively, you could be honest with them. Say that you really liked it and were excited about the prospect of working there, but have heard from others that the firm's offer rates are not as high as their peers (your other offers). I think that is the most respectable way to do it. They may try to spin things or undermine the credibility of the rumors, but at least they don't feel lied to and you gave them a fair shot which they f*cked up by no-offering too many people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:05 pm

bdubs wrote:Alternatively, you could be honest with them. Say that you really liked it and were excited about the prospect of working there, but have heard from others that the firm's offer rates are not as high as their peers (your other offers). I think that is the most respectable way to do it. They may try to spin things or undermine the credibility of the rumors, but at least they don't feel lied to and you gave them a fair shot which they f*cked up by no-offering too many people.

If I get to the point at which I have to decline an offer from this firm, I think this is what I'll do. I know that, at this point in my career, I'm easily replaceable to each and every firm and they probably don't give two shits about me, but I like being forthright.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:Alternatively, you could be honest with them. Say that you really liked it and were excited about the prospect of working there, but have heard from others that the firm's offer rates are not as high as their peers (your other offers). I think that is the most respectable way to do it. They may try to spin things or undermine the credibility of the rumors, but at least they don't feel lied to and you gave them a fair shot which they f*cked up by no-offering too many people.

If I get to the point at which I have to decline an offer from this firm, I think this is what I'll do. I know that, at this point in my career, I'm easily replaceable to each and every firm and they probably don't give two shits about me, but I like being forthright.

Nothing about legal hiring is forthright. They won't care why you turned them down so just tell them you liked them but the other firm seemed like a better fit right now for whatever reason or made up thing happening in your life. If you don't get an offer from your summer firm, or don't like it, you may want to get back in touch with this first firm. Candor is not your friend and don't expect candor from any firm regarding hiring. It isn't a question of honesty- it's just that stuff happens and things change all the time.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:38 pm

You can't be serious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:44 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

You can't be serious.

I get that I'm replaceable to firms and that they lie to us all of the time (the "it's not you, it's us" rejections, etc.). However, regardless of how they act, I don't like to go back on my word. No matter which firm I go with, I'll be in the same market. I don't want to develop a reputation of being untrustworthy before I've even begun my career.

If you think that my question is so dumb as to be unworthy of responding to in a meaningful way, don't bother responding.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

You can't be serious.

I get that I'm replaceable to firms and that they lie to us all of the time (the "it's not you, it's us" rejections, etc.). However, regardless of how they act, I don't like to go back on my word. No matter which firm I go with, I'll be in the same market. I don't want to develop a reputation of being untrustworthy before I've even begun my career.

If you think that my question is so dumb as to be unworthy of responding to in a meaningful way, don't bother responding.

Still does not change shit. As the Dude once said "Like, new shit has come to light man!"

If you endorsed a person to serve as a volunteer at a children's center, then found out that last year they were cited several times for stalking children, would you continue to vouch for him because you are afraid to "back out" of your position? Hell no.

This firm only means something to be b/c of the job it represents, and if that job is now in peril, you have to turn them down.

Accepting into a no-offering den of despair out of some sense of "honor" is not a smart idea, even if its somewhat noble in some respect.

Not to be cynical but they will not remember you in 2 years when you start practicing. There will have been a full class of summers and another class of OCI offerees. These people destroy the hopes and dreams of law students for a living, so they understand its a two-way street.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:01 pm

Gorki wrote:Not to be cynical but they will not remember you in 2 years when you start practicing. There will have been a full class of summers and another class of OCI offerees.

But he'll remember. I remember the firm that stiffed me and I shall never let them live it down, even if they don't remember me!! AAHAHAHAHA

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:16 pm

Gorki wrote:Not to be cynical but they will not remember you in 2 years when you start practicing. There will have been a full class of summers and another class of OCI offerees. These people destroy the hopes and dreams of law students for a living, so they understand its a two-way street.

They probably won't even remember you a few months down the road I'd say. These lawyers are not only too busy to care, but they meet so many other new people and law students that you will get lost in the mix. We aren't the special snowflakes we think ourselves to be. Maybe it's the cynicism of being an unemployed 3L, but you will quickly learn the world doesn't revolve around you.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:43 pm

adonai wrote:
Gorki wrote:Not to be cynical but they will not remember you in 2 years when you start practicing. There will have been a full class of summers and another class of OCI offerees. These people destroy the hopes and dreams of law students for a living, so they understand its a two-way street.

They probably won't even remember you a few months down the road I'd say. These lawyers are not only too busy to care, but they meet so many other new people and law students that you will get lost in the mix. We aren't the special snowflakes we think ourselves to be. Maybe it's the cynicism of being an unemployed 3L, but you will quickly learn the world doesn't revolve around you.

All op is to this partner is a disposable commodity. He is a piece of paper in a file with some scattered notes. Even assuming op is a top 10% student at a T6, this partner still couldn't care less about op, nor could this partner even spot op as he walks down the street, which is what makes this thread so fucking dumb.... And that's before you stop to realize that op doesn't even have an offer from the firm yet. Wow.

Return to “Legal Employment”