What am I doing wrong?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What am I doing wrong?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:29 pm

I can't find anything to apply for. I go to a 40-50 ranked school and ranked in the top 25%. My schools Symplicity has 15 OCI applications for 3L's and 150 resume referrals (90% of which are looking for graduates). I see people on here saying they applied to 100's of clerkships and jobs and have done interviews and received callbacks, but I'm lost.

rad lulz

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Postby rad lulz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:37 pm

Send an app to all nlj350 firms and also the larger (50+) firms in your market. May be helpful to use resume launch pad. Do it yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:53 pm

rad lulz wrote:Send an app to all nlj350 firms and also the larger (50+) firms in your market. May be helpful to use resume launch pad. Do it yesterday.

Thank you. I'm using NALP site to find employers. Is that the way to go?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:56 pm

FWIW, I went to a similarly ranked school, and if you're a 3L, that's just what OCI/symplicity looks like. OCI at the bottom of T1 is completely different from OCI at the top of T1. And even T1 OCIs probably don't have multiple hundreds of employers showing up to hire 3Ls (not that I would know, of course), because 3L OCI is much less of a thing than 2L OCI. My school's CSO's constant refrain was, most students don't get their jobs through OCI. So, what rad said - if you want to apply to firms, you're going to have to identify them and reach out to them yourself.

Clerkships (that is, judicial clerkships) are completely different and are advertised through OSCAR (federal) or through state court webpages. They're not generally going to show up on symplicity. It's getting a little late for clerkships for after graduation, though (unless there are still some state judges hiring - their timelines are a little less predictable).

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can't find anything to apply for. I go to a 40-50 ranked school and ranked in the top 25%. My schools Symplicity has 15 OCI applications for 3L's and 150 resume referrals (90% of which are looking for graduates). I see people on here saying they applied to 100's of clerkships and jobs and have done interviews and received callbacks, but I'm lost.

He'll, my T14 was similar. 3LOCI is a flame.

Return to “Legal Employment”