Already Have Callback with Firm but Prefer Different City

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Already Have Callback with Firm but Prefer Different City

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:01 pm

I posted this somewhere else, but I decided to create my own thread to possibly get some advice specific to my situation:

I am applying to two different offices of one firm and have already received a CB for one office (office #2, less preferred). I will also be in the city of the other office (office #1, more preferred) next week for CB's.

Should I still try to leverage callbacks with this firm? Will doing so make it harder for me to sell myself at office #2 and hurt my chances there? Office #1 is in my preferred legal market, but I haven't heard back yet.

I'm thinking that a CB in the hand is worth two in the bush, but I would love to hear other people's thoughts on this situation.

Anonymous User

Re: Already Have Callback with Firm but Prefer Different City

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Leverage when you get an offer...

If they want you, the firm will accommodate your preference. U
You should express interest in both locations.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Leverage when you get an offer...

Even for the CB? I expressed interest in both locations for the screener, but I'm afraid that if I do that during the CB they'll question my commitment to their city.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Even for the CB? I expressed interest in both locations for the screener, but I'm afraid that if I do that during the CB they'll question my commitment to their city.

Of course they will question your commitment if you say you want another office. Convince them that you like the city you have a callback in. But don't oversell it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:15 pm

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Of course they will question your commitment if you say you want another office. Convince them that you like the city you have a callback in. But don't oversell it.

Thanks. This is what I thought.

But are you saying to go all in for the office where I have a CB and not worry about the other location? The cities are only a few hours apart and are in the same state.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

But are you saying to go all in for the office where I have a CB and not worry about the other location? The cities are only a few hours apart and are in the same state.

The way I look at this is that you need a job. I would interview with this office and explain why you want to work there. I don't know what all-in means, but you don't have to make it sound like that city is the only place you would consider working. I would wait and see how the interview goes. You can always contact the other office later when you are going to be in that town.

The main concern is not to hurt your chances at the office that gave you a callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:22 pm

NYstate wrote:
NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The way I look at this is that you need a job. I would interview with this office and explain why you want to work there. I don't know what all-in means, but you don't have to make it sound like that city is the only place you would consider working. I would wait and see how the interview goes. You can always contact the other office later when you are going to be in that town.

The main concern is not to hurt your chances at the office that gave you a callback.

I meant all-in as in sound like that's the only place I want to work (or at least distinguish it from the other city). The problem is that the address on my resume indicates that I have much stronger ties to the other city, so I'm afraid the firm might be skeptical.

Also, I have callbacks in the other city first, and I probably won't be back in town until much later. The CB with my second-choice city is scheduled for the following week.

And thank you for your response. The bolded is what I was thinking too.

Return to “Legal Employment”