PSA: Lock Down Your Facebook Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

PSA: Lock Down Your Facebook

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:15 pm

Big firm interviewer here.

Please, for the love of god, lock down your Facebook profile. The first thing I do when I get your resume is I look you up on Facebook. For roughly half of the candidates, I can see wallposts, pictures and Facebook journal entries. 90% of the time these are relatively innocuous because I don't care of people are getting drunk (though others might...) but 10% of the time you see some really dumb shit that shows that you probably wouldn't be a good fit (and this is objectively bad, like saying "fuck biglaw I'm gonna be out in 2 years" bad).

Lock. It. Down.

Anonymous User

Re: PSA: Lock Down Your Facebook

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:23 pm

How about Twitter? Hypothetically speaking, if one's timeline were full of profanity-laced rants about sports and terrible jokes, would that be a demerit?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:54 pm

Alternatively, don't have stupid embarrassing shit on your facebook to begin with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How about Twitter? Hypothetically speaking, if one's timeline were full of profanity-laced rants about sports and terrible jokes, would that be a demerit?
Would be a merit to me. But others might care. Point being: don't even take that risk.

Just lock that shit down.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:18 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Alternatively, don't have stupid embarrassing shit on your facebook to begin with.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Amity

New

Post by Amity » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:52 pm

I purposely did not lock down facebook. Instead, family pix, Disneyland, playing with the dog… the poster page for G rating… even the favorite movie, book and tv shows were all vanilla. If there was a chance a firm might check me out on FB….I was ready!!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:01 pm

Amity wrote:I purposely did not lock down facebook. Instead, family pix, Disneyland, playing with the dog… the poster page for G rating… even the favorite movie, book and tv shows were all vanilla. If there was a chance a firm might check me out on FB….I was ready!!
Same. If I were a recruiter, I would assume that people who don't have a Facebook are weirdos.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:04 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Amity wrote:I purposely did not lock down facebook. Instead, family pix, Disneyland, playing with the dog… the poster page for G rating… even the favorite movie, book and tv shows were all vanilla. If there was a chance a firm might check me out on FB….I was ready!!
Same. If I were a recruiter, I would assume that people who don't have a Facebook are weirdos.
You might, but I don't think recruiters do. Not everyone lives on Facebook publicly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:07 pm

it's not weird to have your only public access = name + profile pic. It's also not that weird to be non-searchable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:it's not weird to have your only public access = name + profile pic. It's also not that weird to be non-searchable.
I do both of those things, but I know, at least where I worked pre-LS, that hiring people have software to get around those obstacles.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:18 pm

That's fine. And I like that shit. But who knows maybe it would offend someone's sensibilities.

Lock that shit down.

And yes, for this particular candidate, it influenced his or her evaluation. Negatively.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote: (and this is objectively bad, like saying "fuck biglaw I'm gonna be out in 2 years" bad).
Lock. It. Down.
i'm only a useless k-jd 3L millennial but i would ONLY hire people who said stuff like this

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:27 pm

OP:

I do not have and have never had a facebook or any other social media. Does this reflect poorly on me? Do you just assume it was full of bad stuff and I deleted it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP:

I do not have and have never had a facebook or any other social media. Does this reflect poorly on me? Do you just assume it was full of bad stuff and I deleted it?
Why would I assume that??? I would assume you made it private (aka locked that shit down). My first thought would never be that you just don't have it. And if it was, I'd respect you for it.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:35 pm

If I were an interviewer I'd think you were boring.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:
+1.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:08 pm

In addition to high security settings, is changing your name enough (e.g. going by your mother's maiden name)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In addition to high security settings, is changing your name enough (e.g. going by your mother's maiden name)?
I've found that, even when someone changes their name, I can still find them by typing in their name as I know it.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In addition to high security settings, is changing your name enough (e.g. going by your mother's maiden name)?
I've found that, even when someone changes their name, I can still find them by typing in their name as I know it.
or email, which is a very efficient way of finding people online.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:23 pm

Mine is already pretty clean and pretty private, but I think I'm going to go through and "professionalize" it a bit.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:32 pm

I don't have a Facebook, Twitter, or anything. I think a couple of interviewers haven't actually believed me when I said I don't. But it definitely makes life easier.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Amity

New

Post by Amity » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:58 am

rad lulz wrote:
That’s a scenario that neither one of us will ever need to be concerned with.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:06 am

Amity wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
That’s a scenario that neither one of us will ever need to be concerned with.
Good thing you weren't an asshole about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:07 am

I have no facebook, no twitter, no linkedin, no nothing.

This past summer, the recruiting coordinator at my firm told me that, during the recruiting process, someone said: "It's weird he's not online."

I guess I should feel lucky that I have a job . . . lol . . . yolo . . . omg.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:47 am

I deleted my FB. No regrets at all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”