Boies Corporate v. V15 Corporate Practices Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Boies Corporate v. V15 Corporate Practices

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:09 pm

How does Boies Corporate practice compare with PW and Latham and other V15 corporate practices

Anonymous User

Re: Boies Corporate v. V15 Corporate Practices

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:24 pm

The quality of work is comparable to that at PW but not Latham.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The quality of work is comparable to that at PW but not Latham.
donno where you got that from, according to chambers its unranked?
http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/ ... 7776-36457

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The quality of work is comparable to that at PW but not Latham.
donno where you got that from, according to chambers its unranked?
http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/ ... 7776-36457
ye but what about the moneyzzzzz

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:31 pm

useless anon post
Last edited by 06102016 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Anon abuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Would you pick latham over Paul Weiss for corporate? I'm currently trying to decide between the two. Ranking wise they seem pretty comparable (both band 3 for M&A)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:28 pm

I hear that Boies is picky in hiring for corporate and they hire with the desire to make someone partner. They want entrepreneurs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:50 am

bump

not OP, but I'm interested in hearing any other thoughts on PW vs. Boies for corp.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:57 am

The junior Boies was my screener interviewer. A sharp and nice guy who apparently has a clear vision for the corporate practice. Agree with the previous post that they are looking for partner materials with business acumen. I also got the impression that they will give you real responsibilities as junior associates. Also interviewed with PW, an uninspiring firm with condescending pricks who get off giving people a hard time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The junior Boies was my screener interviewer. A sharp and nice guy who apparently has a clear vision for the corporate practice. Agree with the previous post that they are looking for partner materials with business acumen. I also got the impression that they will give you real responsibilities as junior associates. Also interviewed with PW, an uninspiring firm with condescending pricks who get off giving people a hard time.
:roll:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The junior Boies was my screener interviewer. A sharp and nice guy who apparently has a clear vision for the corporate practice. Agree with the previous post that they are looking for partner materials with business acumen. I also got the impression that they will give you real responsibilities as junior associates. Also interviewed with PW, an uninspiring firm with condescending pricks who get off giving people a hard time.
You know I don't fully get why/how the groupthink around some firms forms. It's probably entirely partner-to-partner and I'd totally believe that PW and Cleary are among the best in terms of overall culture, but I can totally see where someone would have the impression bolded above. My PW interviewer pushed me to "get political" when we were discussing a topic from my summer work that had a political aspect I didn't really want to discuss.

I thought I was the odd man out, but I know others who have had similar experiences. It was kinda disappointing considering I know some awesome people who will be starting soon at PW.

(that said the bolded was still pretty douchey)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You know I don't fully get why/how the groupthink around some firms forms. It's probably entirely partner-to-partner and I'd totally believe that PW and Cleary are among the best in terms of overall culture, but I can totally see where someone would have the impression bolded above. My PW interviewer pushed me to "get political" when we were discussing a topic from my summer work that had a political aspect I didn't really want to discuss.

I thought I was the odd man out, but I know others who have had similar experiences. It was kinda disappointing considering I know some awesome people who will be starting soon at PW.

(that said the bolded was still pretty douchey)
Yeah, I mean anyone can get 5 meh-to-bad interviewers at a firm/office that size. Still, it's not like I think the places I had boring-ish callbacks at are "uninspiring" or whatever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Come on, people are allowed to form opinions, and all opinions are biased in the sense that one can never collect the full set of data. Since OP here is asking for opinions from sources that probably talked to only a few people at a firm, I don't see why it is wrong/questionable to share some genuine, if subjective, impressions of a firm one had callback with. One has a right to feel some firm is more inspiring than others why the censure?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:How does Boies Corporate practice compare with PW and Latham and other V15 corporate practices
I would take any V15, or even V20, firm for corporate over BSF.

It's possible in 5 years there may no longer be a BSF Corporate Practice.

Of course, it's also possible that in 5 years the V15 firm you're at may no longer be around, at all.

Still, that said, the totality of all things considered (stability, reputation, quality and type of work, exit options, etc.) favors the V15 firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:05 am

More experience (potentially), better compensation... I think even if BSF corporate isn't exactly Chambers worthy, it's still a great choice coming out of law school.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:43 am

better compensation... I think even if BSF corporate
I echo anon168's post above, but would also mention that I am very doubtful that you'll bill enough hours in BSF corporate to get that big bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:53 am

Isn't the base salary at BSF more than a lot of firm's salary plus lockstep bonus or at least close?
the hours guess: where does that come from?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:58 am

Anon from above:
I mean if you add the average bonus from BSF plus the base salary over 5 years and compare that to Cravath. It's a pretty substantial difference (too lazy to do the math right now, but I'm guessing it could be a couple hundred thousand dollars). Losing out on that, because you have a hunch you might get more work at another V15 is debatable... but if you have hard data that there's not enough work to get a bonus, that's another thing and a much closer call.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:07 pm

There is a base salary bump, but IMO not worth it to work at a no name corporate practice. This isn't the Susman Godfrey of M&A law here. It's a legit no name practice. You won't just get more work at other firms, but you'll also work on more sophisticated deals with more sophisticated counterparties, and the experience and reputation definitely improves exits.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:13 pm

Anon from above:
Ha. Well we can agree to disagree. I think as an associate that's not likely to make partner the extra money might come in handy.
I loved this line, though: "This isn't the Susman Godfrey of M&A law here."

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anon from above:
Ha. Well we can agree to disagree. I think as an associate that's not likely to make partner the extra money might come in handy.
I loved this line, though: "This isn't the Susman Godfrey of M&A law here."
Isn't that short sighted? If you confident you're not going to make partner, best to maximize your chances at a good landing spot by choosing a firm that gives you that...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Anon from above:
Yeah I suppose it could be. If there's a huge difference in exit opportunities, then definitely. But this is all conjecture and, all I'm saying money is real. ITE, taking a couple hundred thousand extra dollars (if that's the case here) is not the most myopic thing in the world.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How does Boies Corporate practice compare with PW and Latham and other V15 corporate practices
What was your CB --> offer timeline with Boies?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What was your CB --> offer timeline with Boies?
Any updates?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”