Too late for Mass Mailing Big Markets? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Too late for Mass Mailing Big Markets?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:51 pm

I was wondering how to know when firms aren't worth time of mass mailing. I was going down a list of NY firms and it seems like most of them are done with OCI and probably not looking at mailings anymore. Is it even worth my time to try to mail NY firms, or even East Coast firms in general? Should I just focus on small markets instead? Thanks.

[edited to clarify that thread is about strategy of mass mailing]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SportsFan

Silver

Re: Too late for Mass Mailing?

Post by SportsFan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:52 pm

(didn't read the post)

No its not, start mass mailing.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:02 pm

SportsFan wrote:(didn't read the post)

Also didn't read post. Start mass mailing.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:06 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Also didn't read post. Start mass mailing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks, but it would help if you read the post. I am definitely mass mailing, but I'm not sure the best strategy at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Definitely too late. Just wait for 3L OCI. You are probably too busy doing other things now anyway.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks, but it would help if you read the post. I am definitely mass mailing, but I'm not sure the best strategy at this point.
There is no strategy. You apply everywhere. Literally a numbers game, no different than that of telemarketers. You apply to NYC, you apply to East Coast, you apply to small markets.

Anonymous User

Re: Too late for Mass Mailing Big Markets?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:33 pm

Considering that most students at T14s haven't even finished their callbacks yet, I wouldn't say that it's too late.

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Definitely not too late. It's still August -- there are V50 firms giving out offers in October every year. Mail, mail, mail!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:10 pm

applepiecrust wrote:Definitely not too late. It's still August -- there are V50 firms giving out offers in October every year. Mail, mail, mail!
Not OP. Is it worth mass mailing big markets (V100) if I am top 5%, LR at a Philly T2

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:47 pm

I got an offer through outside-of-OCI sources, after getting dinged. I started about a week into September, and got an offer at a V100 by the end of September. Few pieces of advice:

There is still hope. Every firm gives out a set # of offers, and sometimes people don't accept. About 15 days into the process, firms start to panic when not enough law students accept their offers, and they already dinged the rest of the candidates from OCI / callbacks that they didn't want. This is the time to strike, as lots of firms will find themselves in this situation.

Find contacts. I eventually got an interview and then offer at a V100 from a contact who was an alum of my high school - I contacted him before law school and stayed in touch, and asked him to send through my resume. He sent it through (very late in the game), and it led to an offer. This sort of thing is rare (and was very lucky), but anyone in a position to send your resume can help. Search first for alums of your law school, and honestly explain the situation (that you like the firm, would love advice / for them to send through your resume to recruiting). A lot of credibility comes from just having someone send an email.

Quantity! You never know what firms need people or how many people they need - I mass-mailed to basically every V100, and then went into the AMLaw250. Most didn't respond but some did. Just make sure to put some personalization into your cover letter so it doesn't seem like you're a bot. Last year, I specifically remember getting actual responses from Brown & Rudnick (gave me a callback), and Fenwick & West (didn't, but personally told me my app was being reviewed).

I know this is an aggravating situation, but it's not a death sentence. PM me for more information

Sgtpeppernyc

Bronze

Post by Sgtpeppernyc » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Just realized that the above was anonymous. PM me at this address.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:58 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:Definitely not too late. It's still August -- there are V50 firms giving out offers in October every year. Mail, mail, mail!
Not OP. Is it worth mass mailing big markets (V100) if I am top 5%, LR at a Philly T2
What are you gonna do instead, jack off?
Can I do both?

Druid

Silver

Post by Druid » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What are you gonna do instead, jack off?
Yeah. Worst they can do is say no (they will) and you'll probably have wasted 5-10 minutes (you will). But you can't go hang out with Willy Wonka if you never buy a bar.

Sgtpeppernyc

Bronze

Post by Sgtpeppernyc » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:53 pm

I was top half at a T14 and got into a V100. Definitely can't hurt, but you'll be twice as effective if you reach out directly to grads of your law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:55 pm

Sgtpeppernyc wrote:I was top half at a T14 and got into a V100. Definitely can't hurt, but you'll be twice as effective if you reach out directly to grads of your law school.
How should we be reaching out? Just be direct and ask them if they'd be comfortable forwarding our app materials? Or ask to speak to them about the firm/ask if they know how hiring is going, and try to bring it up casually over the phone?

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:20 pm

Yeah, to clarify my post urging people to mail, I got two V30 and another V100 offer in late September/October last fall. PM me for details.

(And don't reject yourself from a post. Make the hardest sell you can. The V100 offer was a DC office that had a minimum GPA requirement from my school higher than my GPA -- you just never know when they will make an exception.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”