Ropes Boston or OMM Bay Area

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which would you choose?

Ropes Boston
35%
OMM Bay Area
65%

Total votes: 17

Anonymous User

Ropes Boston or OMM Bay Area

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:03 pm

1. Interested in transactional work, specifically alternative investments. VC, PE, Hedge funds. Don't mind being a generalist.
2. Have ties in both market but ties in Cali are generally more established in their careers. Very tech heavy.
3. Personality wise, liked both firms equally. Cancelled all NYC because I realized it just wasn't me.
4. Not really thinking too much about exit options, but if the time comes it would likely be inhouse at an IM, either PE or VC.
5. Would like to move to Cali at some point.

Some considerations:
1. Liked the general environment in Cal, the energy, and the younger clients. The Facebook culture is very attractive and associates get more responsibility.
2. Boston is a much bigger office and bigger SA class. Requires more specialization. Also has more Band 1 practices in corporate work.

Takes?

2013applicant

Re: Ropes Boston or OMM Bay Area

Postby 2013applicant » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Law school rank? May have an input on later mobility.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Lower T14. Thanks for any input.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:34 pm

If you know for a fact you want PE, HF, or IM you can't go wrong with Ropes. If you really want to get involved in non-life science VC, Ropes probably isn't the place. There are a few people who do a significant amount of VC but rates are set in such a way it just isn't ever going to be a huge practice. OMM of course is known for having an equally great culture but I have heard from friends at one of their west coast offices that they screwed a few summers over by making practice-specific offers that didn't remotely match peoples interests (e.g. making lit-offers to people who only did corporate work all summer).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:49 pm

OP here. Could I PM either of you privately? Thanks in advance.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:05 am

PM away.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:32 am

Is OMM your only bay area option? It sounds like you would be better off in the bay area generally, but there are definitely firms with stronger corporate practices that you should be mass mailing if you haven't exhausted that already.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:24 am

Affirmative. OMM is my only Bay Area option.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:27 am

So, I would just mention that Ropes let's you internally transfer very easily. Lots of people at the California Ropes office transferred from the Boston office. So it won't close doors in California. You'll be in a much smaller office, whether SF or SV, but the people there are really nice and they do a lot of work cross-office.

Don't know anything about OMM.

Return to “Legal Employment”