Richmond VA market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Richmond VA market

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Any insight on the attorney lifestyles at McGuire, Hunton, Troutman, or Williams Mullen?

Hunton has a 2000 billables minimum. Anyone heard this is harsh on the associates?

Anonymous User

Re: Richmond VA market

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Also interested in this. Why do McGuire and Hunton not pay the same 1st yr salary (per NALP)? Is it the billable requirement difference (is there one)?

I've found them all to be relatively indistinguishable on CBs and am wondering what gives.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:23 pm

Anyone? Currently deciding between 2 of these firms and could use some thoughts from someone more familiar with this market.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone? Currently deciding between 2 of these firms and could use some thoughts from someone more familiar with this market.

Already have offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:51 pm

manofjustice wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone? Currently deciding between 2 of these firms and could use some thoughts from someone more familiar with this market.

Already have offers?

Yes

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:23 pm

I'm a 2L, so bear that in mind, but I just don't think there is a ton of difference between them. McGuire and Hunton are absolutely above Troutman and Williams Mullen in terms of reputation within Richmond. McGuire is getting a new building soon, Hunton will be in their tower for a long time to come. Did CBs at both and found them to be pretty much the same in terms of hours, culture, and attitudes. My impression was that you're going to work very typical big law hours for a lower amount of money than NY/DC, but the benefit is that you're in a place with a substantially lower cost of living. People were friendly, but I did not necessarily find that these are the types of offices where everyone goes and grabs a drink after work. Deciding between these two seems more or less like a toss up to me.

Troutman seems more casual than the others but I'm basing that off of only speaking with a few associates (didn't CB here). One associate was really proud that she got away with wearing flip flops to the office.

I've had no interaction with Williams Mullen, so I can't speak on that front.

If you're really struggling, I'd just ask HR if you can meet more people in a certain practice group. Or get the contact info for last summer's associates at your school and ask them, since odds are they were making a similar decision last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
manofjustice wrote:

Already have offers?

Yes

Mind telling me OCI/non-OCI, school/gpa combo?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
manofjustice wrote:

Already have offers?

Yes

Mind telling me OCI/non-OCI, school/gpa combo?

Non-OCI, T-20/top 15%. Ties through SO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:15 pm

Also thinking about Hunton vs. McGuire (vs. bigger name DC, to lesser extent). I've gotten the impression that although Hunton and McGuire have similar billable requirements, Hunton may have higher "real" expectations. Anybody have insight on this?

For whatever it's worth, I think the post above was pretty accurate re: Richmond firm reputations.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:06 pm

Are all of the Hunton offers out or will there be another batch? Have an offer already from another firm in Richmond but really enjoyed my Hunton CB an would take an offer there first.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are all of the Hunton offers out or will there be another batch? Have an offer already from another firm in Richmond but really enjoyed my Hunton CB an would take an offer there first.

Hunton offers are given out on a rolling basis, I don't think there are "batches" of offers. If you haven't been dinged then maybe they're waiting on yield info

Choosing between McGuire and Hunton. What's the deal with the pay differential? I can't tell the difference between the two and I don't wanna be shallow but...I got loans and $10k/yr ain't chump change

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:41 am

The hours, as always, depend on the group you join. Capital markets at Hunton is nationally recognized and the deals they get require typical DC/NY hours.

The different amount of compensation may have to do with the type of step increases after the first year. As far as I know the step increases aren't huge at Hunton.

As for offers, I know they have given out all of their offers from CB's. They even gave a couple extra compared to their expected class due to probable non-acceptances. I assume that if they get a substantial amount of non-acceptances then they would send out more offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:25 pm

Anymore movement from the big Richmond firms? Have people with offers at multiple made a decision?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anymore movement from the big Richmond firms? Have people with offers at multiple made a decision?

I made a decision and released the other offers earlier this week

Return to “Legal Employment”