Out of State Interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Out of State Interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:15 am

I recently got an interview (public service) across the coast in a few weeks. After applying, they specified that the interview process would consist of two interviews in their office (across the coast from me.) The interview also consists of a simulation exercise.

Is it inappropriate to ask for a Skype/video interview? I don't want to spend the money on a flight and take time away from school/interning if I don't have to, but I'm scared that asking them for a video interview may show hesitation on my part or inability to read instructions, etc......

Any advice appreciated, thanks

rad lulz

Re: Out of State Interviews

Postby rad lulz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:25 am

Permanent employment or 2L summer?

School offers a travel stipend or no?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:34 am

OP here

yes, permanent employment, I'm a 3L. no stipend.

the only reason i'm asking is because I know they did phone interviews last year and wasn't expecting to have to fly out on such short notice if i got an interview. i'll absolutely go though, just wondering if it's even worth asking them...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here

yes, permanent employment, I'm a 3L. no stipend.

the only reason i'm asking is because I know they did phone interviews last year and wasn't expecting to have to fly out on such short notice if i got an interview. i'll absolutely go though, just wondering if it's even worth asking them...

I'd go and not ask unless spending the $ will prevent you from accomplishing some vital bodily function (eating/pooping)

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:50 am

If they haven't yet explicitly said that they won't reimburse you, I would ask about being reimbursed. And if they say no, then I would pay up and go anyway, but man, they should really help defray the costs. Not cool. GL.

Return to “Legal Employment”