If you have an offer rescind your other offers or cbs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

If you have an offer rescind your other offers or cbs

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:34 pm

Do it fast, do it now, those of us waiting for answers can benefit from those of you with 1+ offers making a choice so make it quickly.

bk1

Diamond

Re: If you have an offer rescind your other offers or cbs

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm gonna go against the wisdom of some on TLS and say, if you legitimately are not sure between firms, there is nothing wrong with taking more time to decide. Don't feel rushed to make a decision on the place where you may very well (assuming you get a full time offer) work for years. But do take stock if you have multiple offers and ask yourself whether you are still seriously considering all the offers you have.

People hoarding offers merely for the sake of hoarding them are kind of being dicks, but I also think it is bad form to pressure people to choose quickly (especially if the person asking is doing it out of self-interest like OP).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:50 pm

bk1 wrote:I'm gonna go against the wisdom of some on TLS and say, if you legitimately are not sure between firms, there is nothing wrong with taking more time to decide. Don't feel rushed to make a decision on the place where you may very well (assuming you get a full time offer) work for years. But do take stock if you have multiple offers and ask yourself whether you are still seriously considering all the offers you have.

People hoarding offers merely for the sake of hoarding them are kind of being dicks, but I also think it is bad form to pressure people to choose quickly (especially if the person asking is doing it out of self-interest like OP).
+1

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do it fast, do it now, those of us waiting for answers can benefit from those of you with 1+ offers making a choice so make it quickly.
Yes, one should be courteous and not sit on offers or callbacks that one knows they will not accept over what they already have. It's just the decent thing to do. But one should not feel pressured to make a decision quickly. If you are legitimately interested in a firm you have a callback with, keep it. If there are two firms that you are debating between, keep both offers until you know what all of your options are. As you have enough information to rank those options, decline offers/callbacks that you know you would not want over what you already have.

Those waitings for answers aren't likely to get them any faster by others making hasty decisions. Unfortunately, rejecting applicants is on the bottom of firms' "to do" lists. Some don't bother doing it at all.

Also, firms usually have a target range for their summer class size. Unless they really missed the mark on their yield, a candidate rejecting an offer or callback is not going to open up a slot for someone else. Firms know that if they offer X students, Y will accept and Z will reject. Turning down offers (and callbacks) simply sorts which names go into which category.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:52 pm

I agree that people should not hoard offers, but I think that if anything the 28 days thing makes people decide too fast, not too slow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:54 pm

I disagree. Go on all your CBs. And everyone who thinks firms are waiting on your classmates to make more CB offers, probably not. Firms do an okay job predicting their yield.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:55 pm

bk1 wrote:I'm gonna go against the wisdom of some on TLS and say, if you legitimately are not sure between firms, there is nothing wrong with taking more time to decide. Don't feel rushed to make a decision on the place where you may very well (assuming you get a full time offer) work for years. But do take stock if you have multiple offers and ask yourself whether you are still seriously considering all the offers you have.

I thought this WAS the conventional wisdom.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:57 pm

rad lulz wrote:I thought this WAS the conventional wisdom.
I had originally typed CW but I wasn't sure so I just said "some on TLS" since I have seen people post stuff similar to OP for years. You might be right that it is the CW, but there are people who disagree with it, likely some desperate 2Ls thinking that this will somehow net them an offer.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do it fast, do it now, those of us waiting for answers can benefit from those of you with 1+ offers making a choice so make it quickly.
LOL at you no jerbs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 pm

IAFG wrote:I disagree. Go on all your CBs. And everyone who thinks firms are waiting on your classmates to make more CB offers, probably not. Firms do an okay job predicting their yield.
I agree. Don't be rash and close-minded. This is a big decision and you should make it after carefully weighing all of your options.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:10 am

plenipotentiary wrote:
IAFG wrote:I disagree. Go on all your CBs. And everyone who thinks firms are waiting on your classmates to make more CB offers, probably not. Firms do an okay job predicting their yield.
I agree. Don't be rash and close-minded. This is a big decision and you should make it after carefully weighing all of your options.
I bet everyone who accepted at Dewey wishes they had gone on all their CBs.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:35 am

IAFG wrote:I bet everyone who accepted at Dewey wishes they had gone on all their CBs.
they would have still chosen dewey.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:44 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
IAFG wrote:I bet everyone who accepted at Dewey wishes they had gone on all their CBs.
Scenario 1: hi firm where I was so disinterested I cancelled my CB, can haz jerb?

Scenario 2: hi firm I always loved and also got an offer at and just agonized over declining...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:05 am

IAFG wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Scenario 1: hi firm where I was so disinterested I cancelled my CB, can haz jerb?

Scenario 2: hi firm I always loved and also got an offer at and just agonized over declining...
+1. Callbacks are also about making connections. Could only help if your summer doesn't work out as you hoped.

J. D.

New

Post by J. D. » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:24 am

NYstate wrote:Callbacks are also about making connections. Could only help if your summer doesn't work out as you hoped.
That’s what happened to me. The firm I wanted delayed in sending me their SA offer so I accepted with a firm that only gave me 10 days to decide. Shortly after I accepted the SA firm I really wanted sent me an offer (even thought I had emailed them to take me out of consideration). I did not want to renege on my acceptance so I had to nicely say no.

Just a couple of weeks ago my SA firm delayed in tendering their offer so I met with the firm I initially wanted and this time they gave me an offer post haste. So weird how it illogically came together. All because of delays (call it timing if you wish).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”