2014 Government Honors Programs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2014 Government Honors Programs

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word on the NLRB or Army Corps of Engineers?

I know at least one NLRB regional office has started scheduling interviews.

do we know what regional office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:14 am

Has the CFPB started to move yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:37 am

Has anyone heard from DoS?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Has the OCC started extending offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone heard of any movement regarding 2nd interviews with the FCC, I was curious.

How can they be on second interviews? Their deadline was extended until 10/23. Were you selected for a first interview already?

Anonymous User wrote:Has the CFPB started to move yet?

Yes, they have. I had a screening interview with them. Apparently they chose about 30 for the screening interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone heard of any movement regarding 2nd interviews with the FCC, I was curious.

How can they be on second interviews? Their deadline was extended until 10/23. Were you selected for a first interview already?

Yes, they have. I had a screening interview with them. Apparently they chose about 30 for the screening interview.

Thanks. About how long did it take after the deadline to get back to you? I applied for a different, non-honors position that seems like it should have a similar timeline, and was wondering for how long I should hold out hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:54 pm

Yes, they have. I had a screening interview with them. Apparently they chose about 30 for the screening interview.[/quote]

Congrats! How do you know the CFPB is only doing 30 interviews? Did they tell you during your screener? Also, any idea as to when they'll be doing callbacks/ how many? Thanks for any insights!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. About how long did it take after the deadline to get back to you? I applied for a different, non-honors position that seems like it should have a similar timeline, and was wondering for how long I should hold out hope.

With the CFPB? I don't know. It's so hard to predict government timelines.. As for the Honors Program, I know they've scheduled screening interviews for 11/1-11/7 (i.e. until tomorrow), and then after that I guess they'll select people for in-office interviews. But I would assume the Honors Program is separate from any other hiring, so I don't think that the HP's schedule is necessarily indicative of anything anyone else in the agency is doing. And it took several weeks after the application deadline for them to contact me.

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats! How do you know the CFPB is only doing 30 interviews? Did they tell you during your screener? Also, any idea as to when they'll be doing callbacks/ how many? Thanks for any insights!

Yes, I asked during the screener where that interview stood in relation to the hiring process. I forget how many people they said they would be asking for callbacks, but I think the final number they hire will be around 4-6. Their last day of screening interviews is tomorrow, so I would imagine they'll start contacting people about callbacks next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:19 am

I don't think the FCC has interviewed yet. I just got an email that they had updated my application materials after I sent in a new version of one of my documents. If they had already chosen their interviewees, I doubt they would bother updating my file.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. About how long did it take after the deadline to get back to you? I applied for a different, non-honors position that seems like it should have a similar timeline, and was wondering for how long I should hold out hope.

With the CFPB? I don't know. It's so hard to predict government timelines.. As for the Honors Program, I know they've scheduled screening interviews for 11/1-11/7 (i.e. until tomorrow), and then after that I guess they'll select people for in-office interviews. But I would assume the Honors Program is separate from any other hiring, so I don't think that the HP's schedule is necessarily indicative of anything anyone else in the agency is doing. And it took several weeks after the application deadline for them to contact me.

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats! How do you know the CFPB is only doing 30 interviews? Did they tell you during your screener? Also, any idea as to when they'll be doing callbacks/ how many? Thanks for any insights!

Yes, I asked during the screener where that interview stood in relation to the hiring process. I forget how many people they said they would be asking for callbacks, but I think the final number they hire will be around 4-6. Their last day of screening interviews is tomorrow, so I would imagine they'll start contacting people about callbacks next week.

They actually told me during the interview they would be contacting people about callbacks in two weeks, so I guess the week of Nov. 18th?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Wait FCC was extended to 10/23??

Has anyone heard anything from them?
I applied in 09/30 and forgot about it assumed I had been rejected since I never heard from them. This gives me hope though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:22 pm

I applied to both State and the FTC, but haven't heard from either-- anyone aware of any movement with either agency?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Got an email from CFPB saying I wasn't selected for an interview...bitches.

gogogogo

Postby gogogogo » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:02 am

Got a rejection in mail from US house of reps office of legislative counsel. Bummer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Any movement from HUD?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:19 pm

gogogogo wrote:Got a rejection in mail from US house of reps office of legislative counsel. Bummer.

Did you have a call-back with them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:36 pm

What advice would you guys have for someone looking to work for any one of these agencies studying at U of Miami? What concentration should I be focusing my coursework on? I do have some public service experience (interned under local mayor and city attorney for about a year) Any insight is appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to both State and the FTC, but haven't heard from either-- anyone aware of any movement with either agency?

Which FTC bureau? I know both of them often hire out of their summer class, but I don't know how tied in that is with the Honors Program.

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What advice would you guys have for someone looking to work for any one of these agencies studying at U of Miami? What concentration should I be focusing my coursework on? I do have some public service experience (interned under local mayor and city attorney for about a year) Any insight is appreciated.

I think it totally depends on the agency. While they all probably look for a demonstrated interest in public service (e.g. pro bono and/or already having worked for a public interest employer), each probably also looks for some demonstrated interest in the particular area it works in. E.g. for DOL, you'd want to have some experience in employment law.

Authority: none at all. Take comments with a grain of salt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Everyone I've talked to says they look for students with a "genuine" and demonstrated interest in public service. Obviously, doing well in administrative law is a plus. Most agencies like work experience and coursework in their specific area. The more specialized the agency the less they seem to care about your experience in their area so long as you can talk about why you're interested in doing what they do. Besides that, they seem to like what most other employers like. E.g., good grades, law review, moot court, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Everyone I've talked to says they look for students with a "genuine" and demonstrated interest in public service. Obviously, doing well in administrative law is a plus. Most agencies like work experience and coursework in their specific area. The more specialized the agency the less they seem to care about your experience in their area so long as you can talk about why you're interested in doing what they do. Besides that, they seem to like what most other employers like. E.g., good grades, law review, moot court, etc.

Thanks for the responses. Really appreciated. So just how competitive are these positions anyway? As competitive to get as Big Law or a position in the JAG Corps? I know most of these federal government jobs are in DC and usually pay around $40k starting. For someone with $150k in student loans, I'm sure IBR and the 10 year loan forgiveness program would come up clutch. Are there any locations where you can be stationed other than DC? I know about the Thrift Savings 401k type plan the federal government offers but what about pensions? Is there a 20 or 25 year retirement plan? Sorry for all the questions but I'm finding it really difficult to find anything on the web pertaining to this. Also, I'm glad to hear public service is looked highly upon. Is there any reason to think my experience in my local government won't benefit me? Again, any insight is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Everyone I've talked to says they look for students with a "genuine" and demonstrated interest in public service. Obviously, doing well in administrative law is a plus. Most agencies like work experience and coursework in their specific area. The more specialized the agency the less they seem to care about your experience in their area so long as you can talk about why you're interested in doing what they do. Besides that, they seem to like what most other employers like. E.g., good grades, law review, moot court, etc.

Thanks for the responses. Really appreciated. So just how competitive are these positions anyway? As competitive to get as Big Law or a position in the JAG Corps? I know most of these federal government jobs are in DC and usually pay around $40k starting. For someone with $150k in student loans, I'm sure IBR and the 10 year loan forgiveness program would come up clutch. Are there any locations where you can be stationed other than DC? I know about the Thrift Savings 401k type plan the federal government offers but what about pensions? Is there a 20 or 25 year retirement plan? Sorry for all the questions but I'm finding it really difficult to find anything on the web pertaining to this. Also, I'm glad to hear public service is looked highly upon. Is there any reason to think my experience in my local government won't benefit me? Again, any insight is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Most of those things vary from agency to agency. Check out the Arizona Government Handbook for information about the various entry level federal government positions. https://www.law.arizona.edu/career/ghh2 ... tytest.cfm. Your career services office probably has the username/password.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Any movement from HUD?

I applied have not heard anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from DOL yet?

DOL is making calls for first-round interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Any movement from HUD?

I applied have not heard anything.

HUD office in Boston just sent out interview offers via email

Return to “Legal Employment”