2014 Government Honors Programs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2014 Government Honors Programs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone been offered House of Rep. Legislative Counsel summer positions or heard anything more about a timeline?

Is that considered an honors program? I think most of us on here are talking about post-graduation positions.

It's not labelled "honors," but yes they do have a traditional post-grad hiring program.

I'm in the running for a post-grad position and was told that they'll be letting people know this week or next.

You just made my day. I was so afraid they had already made offers for post-grad positions.

Happy to help. Best of luck to you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:CFPB rejected me awhile back. so, unless you got an interview, you should have been rejected by now.

This isn't entirely true. They seem to be offering interviews from different divisions at the discretion of each division, i.e. enforcement, investigations, general counsel, etc...
Edit: sorry, the news I heard on this was for 2L summer internships
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Anyone interview with HUD Seattle and heard any updates?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:31 pm

I applied for DoL in honors directly in August, and then again through my school's OCI. I interviewed at OCI in September and haven't heard anything from them until today, when I received an email from a DoL attorney asking me to come into DC for an interview. Is this just a late response to my August application, or is it possible this is a follow-up to my OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied for DoL in honors directly in August, and then again through my school's OCI. I interviewed at OCI in September and haven't heard anything from them until today, when I received an email from a DoL attorney asking me to come into DC for an interview. Is this just a late response to my August application, or is it possible this is a follow-up to my OCI?

i thought DOL didn't do second interviews? and even if it was a late response, doubt they would want you to go to DC. i'm thinking it's a good sign.

what were your stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied for DoL in honors directly in August, and then again through my school's OCI. I interviewed at OCI in September and haven't heard anything from them until today, when I received an email from a DoL attorney asking me to come into DC for an interview. Is this just a late response to my August application, or is it possible this is a follow-up to my OCI?

i thought DOL didn't do second interviews? and even if it was a late response, doubt they would want you to go to DC. i'm thinking it's a good sign.

what were your stats?

Top 20% at at a T30. EiC of a secondary journal. Two labor and employment law internships.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

what were your stats?

Top 20% at at a T30. EiC of a secondary journal. Two labor and employment law internships.

Hmm, Interesting. I was under the impression that interviews all took place the same time, back in November and that offers would be made in the relatively near future. Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:56 pm

i saw a few posts earlier about rejections i was wondering if anyone has heard anything about 2nd round interviews with the FCC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:i thought DOL didn't do second interviews? and even if it was a late response, doubt they would want you to go to DC. i'm thinking it's a good sign.

Anonymous User wrote:Hmm, Interesting. I was under the impression that interviews all took place the same time, back in November and that offers would be made in the relatively near future. Congrats!

It's most likely a late response to your August internet application. OCI interviews are finished, but internet applications are still being reviewed, so you should inform the DOL attorney that you have already interviewed through OCI. DOL only occasionally does second interviews when a candidate is being considered for a Regional position, and Regional management was not involved with the first interview...in which case, it's unlikely that they would ask you to come to DC for that interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User wrote:i thought DOL didn't do second interviews? and even if it was a late response, doubt they would want you to go to DC. i'm thinking it's a good sign.

Anonymous User wrote:Hmm, Interesting. I was under the impression that interviews all took place the same time, back in November and that offers would be made in the relatively near future. Congrats!

It's most likely a late response to your August internet application. OCI interviews are finished, but internet applications are still being reviewed, so you should inform the DOL attorney that you have already interviewed through OCI. DOL only occasionally does second interviews when a candidate is being considered for a Regional position, and Regional management was not involved with the first interview...in which case, it's unlikely that they would ask you to come to DC for that interview.

It doesn't quite make sense why they wouldn't just conduct a phone interview (as is typical) with that person if they weren't aware that person had already interviewed at OCI. Either way, it's odd. I agree that the person should let the DOL know that they already interviewed just to be certain.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It doesn't quite make sense why they wouldn't just conduct a phone interview (as is typical) with that person if they weren't aware that person had already interviewed at OCI. Either way, it's odd. I agree that the person should let the DOL know that they already interviewed just to be certain.

The original poster might go to a law school in the DC area.

Congratulations to him/her on the late interview, though I guess if they are still conducting interviews that suggests the rest of us won't be hearing final decisions for quite a while still.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:45 pm

Just got dinged by the FCC, no interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It doesn't quite make sense why they wouldn't just conduct a phone interview (as is typical) with that person if they weren't aware that person had already interviewed at OCI. Either way, it's odd. I agree that the person should let the DOL know that they already interviewed just to be certain.

The original poster might go to a law school in the DC area.

Congratulations to him/her on the late interview, though I guess if they are still conducting interviews that suggests the rest of us won't be hearing final decisions for quite a while still.

Not surprising considering they probably were delayed a bit by the shutdown and even in past years they didn't make offers until January-ish, apparently.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone been offered House of Rep. Legislative Counsel summer positions or heard anything more about a timeline?

It's not labelled "honors," but yes they do have a traditional post-grad hiring program.

I'm in the running for a post-grad position and was told that they'll be letting people know this week or next.

You just made my day. I was so afraid they had already made offers for post-grad positions.

Happy to help. Best of luck to you.

Good luck to everyone as well. Didn't hear anything either way last week... perhaps this week. Feel free to chime in either way... it's nice to know what may be (or what may not be) coming, and these boards are a great help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Has anyone had a callback from the FCC? It seems like they may just be widdling down the applicant pool before they make callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had a callback from the FCC? It seems like they may just be widdling down the applicant pool before they make callbacks.

i was wondering the same thing, still have not got a ding email and no call. i am curious if anyone else has heard anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Good luck to everyone as well. Didn't hear anything either way last week... perhaps this week. Feel free to chime in either way... it's nice to know what may be (or what may not be) coming, and these boards are a great help.

I did not hear anything either - nor did my friend who is also up for the position. I'll get the word out once either of us hears something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:21 am

Any word from NLRB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from NLRB?

General Counsel is currently interviewing and so is at least one regional office. I heard that the Board offices may be running behind and may not have interviewed yet. General Counsel and the regional office both told me they expect to make offers by the end of January.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I did not hear anything either - nor did my friend who is also up for the position. I'll get the word out once either of us hears something.

Any word from the House Office of the Legislative Counsel? I still haven't heard anything.

sew4207

Postby sew4207 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:45 am

I submitted an online application for the DOL Honors Program and I interviewed in DC last month. I just received a personal e-mail from my interviewers this morning. They let me know that DOL has finished its review of all applications and I am being actively considered for a position in next year's program. Just curious how many people received a similar e-mail?

Also, I received a rejection from the NLRB's General Counsel Honors Program this morning as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:09 pm

sew4207 wrote:I submitted an online application for the DOL Honors Program and I interviewed in DC last month. I just received a personal e-mail from my interviewers this morning. They let me know that DOL has finished its review of all applications and I am being actively considered for a position in next year's program. Just curious how many people received a similar e-mail?

Also, I received a rejection from the NLRB's General Counsel Honors Program this morning as well.

Did you interview with the NLRB?

sew4207

Postby sew4207 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sew4207 wrote:I submitted an online application for the DOL Honors Program and I interviewed in DC last month. I just received a personal e-mail from my interviewers this morning. They let me know that DOL has finished its review of all applications and I am being actively considered for a position in next year's program. Just curious how many people received a similar e-mail?

Did you interview with the NLRB?

No.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:24 pm

Did anyone apply to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's honors program?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Any word from the House Office of the Legislative Counsel? I still haven't heard anything.

No, nothing. If not this week, perhaps before the holidays? I guess it's possible they could have made offers and are waiting for confirmation, but that's rampant speculation on my part. :-)

Return to “Legal Employment”