2014 Government Honors Programs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2014 Government Honors Programs

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Any FCC-ers out there? News? Interviews? Anything?

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any FCC-ers out there? News? Interviews? Anything?

My career services office told us recently that they'd extended the deadline to December 6. So I would assume they haven't started interviewing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:same anon again...thanks for the tips...you guys are helpful. I think, given everything I've read, that I should be OK. It's been a little while since I last smoked, and I don't have any arrests or hard drug use. They really scare you when talking about these security clearances, though...

Oh dear lord—do you think you could tell us (through code or something) who's made offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:same anon again...thanks for the tips...you guys are helpful. I think, given everything I've read, that I should be OK. It's been a little while since I last smoked, and I don't have any arrests or hard drug use. They really scare you when talking about these security clearances, though...

I assume you're talking about pot? I wouldn't worry about it. POTUS smoked the dooby back in the day, remember?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:18 pm

The IRS office of chief counsel has made offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:29 pm

What do you guys think of IRS honors vs a biglaw firm w/ a very good tax group? I know honors programs are supposed to be very prestigious but I feel like the kind of work I would be doing at IRS would be very specific whereas the firm would give me exposure to lots of different tax work. I'm drawn to the honors program bc I value work life balance over just money, but at the end of the day id like to get the best experience possible and a professor of mine has advised me that this firm would probably be better work. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:The IRS office of chief counsel has made offers.

All offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Aww. I applied for the DOL program back in the misty days of August and I'm disappointed to hear that no interview will be forthcoming. Triple drat.

(given my background in labor law, I'm left wondering: what else did they want?)

did they send out a ding or something?

gogogogo

Postby gogogogo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:56 am

I had an OCI with DOL and still nothing, don't get your hopes up yet!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:26 pm

YouDontKnowMe wrote:

My career services office told us recently that they'd extended the deadline to December 6. So I would assume they haven't started interviewing?

What the f??? Do they not like the group of students that has already applied?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Oh is DOL done interviewing already? Sucks.

No, they're still reviewing internet applications.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

TITCR. They interviewed internet applicants last week and this week. No decisions will be made until end of December at the earliest (my guess is later than that, based on last year's calendar).

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
YouDontKnowMe wrote:

What the f??? Do they not like the group of students that has already applied?

It might have had something to do with the shutdown. That's why they extended it the first time, anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:34 pm

Have anyone already interviewed with HUD? If so what should we expect? Hard or easy interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have anyone already interviewed with HUD? If so what should we expect? Hard or easy interview?

I haven't gone to my interview yet, but I do know that the interview is not supposed to run for more than an hour. When asked how many attorneys I would be interviewing with, I was told most likely one but she did not sound sure.

Anyone interview yet with HUD?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you guys think of IRS honors vs a biglaw firm w/ a very good tax group? I know honors programs are supposed to be very prestigious but I feel like the kind of work I would be doing at IRS would be very specific whereas the firm would give me exposure to lots of different tax work. I'm drawn to the honors program bc I value work life balance over just money, but at the end of the day id like to get the best experience possible and a professor of mine has advised me that this firm would probably be better work. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I think nearly all practitioners would agree with your professor, but it also depends on the office and the branch of the IRS you'd be entering. Besides the hours and culture there's no advantage to the IRS over an elite tax group, but there may not be a disadvantage either, depending on what you'd be working on. If you were offered LBI in New York or something, I don't think you're going to limit your career significantly by going with the IRS. Obviously if you were offered SBSE in Anchorage, you'd be crazy to reject your firm.

I have also heard that field office people can be pegged as controversy-focused, but not from many people, and I assume if you're considering the IRS offer at all you're not opposed to controversy work. And if you want to work in government longterm, that's not the end of the world either, despite what people around you might be saying. Many IRS people do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have anyone already interviewed with HUD? If so what should we expect? Hard or easy interview?

I haven't gone to my interview yet, but I do know that the interview is not supposed to run for more than an hour. When asked how many attorneys I would be interviewing with, I was told most likely one but she did not sound sure.

Anyone interview yet with HUD?

I have. It's unusual because they have a script of questions that they have to ask—sort of jazzed-up versions of "why HUD" and "why are you qualified for this position."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Has anyone heard from the CFPB about callbacks? I thought it was supposed to happen this week. I know it's only Wednesday, but AAH I WANT TO KNOW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

TITCR. They interviewed internet applicants last week and this week. No decisions will be made until end of December at the earliest (my guess is later than that, based on last year's calendar).

I applied right before the deadline so I'm hoping they're still interviewing people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What do you guys think of IRS honors vs a biglaw firm w/ a very good tax group? I know honors programs are supposed to be very prestigious but I feel like the kind of work I would be doing at IRS would be very specific whereas the firm would give me exposure to lots of different tax work. I'm drawn to the honors program bc I value work life balance over just money, but at the end of the day id like to get the best experience possible and a professor of mine has advised me that this firm would probably be better work. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I think nearly all practitioners would agree with your professor, but it also depends on the office and the branch of the IRS you'd be entering. Besides the hours and culture there's no advantage to the IRS over an elite tax group, but there may not be a disadvantage either, depending on what you'd be working on. If you were offered LBI in New York or something, I don't think you're going to limit your career significantly by going with the IRS. Obviously if you were offered SBSE in Anchorage, you'd be crazy to reject your firm.

I have also heard that field office people can be pegged as controversy-focused, but not from many people, and I assume if you're considering the IRS offer at all you're not opposed to controversy work. And if you want to work in government longterm, that's not the end of the world either, despite what people around you might be saying. Many IRS people do.

This is really great info. Thanks! My assignment is basically right in the middle of the 2 extremes you listed, so it's tough to compare it with my firm. Honestly, I think the firm is probably at least slightly better work, but the quality of life with the IRS is much better...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Anyone know of any updates on DOT? Have any references been called?

Seems like they should be wrapping up soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know of any updates on DOT? Have any references been called?

Seems like they should be wrapping up soon.

Yea, I'm waiting for results as well. Not sure about references being contacted but the current honors attorney I met during the interview told me he heard back the day before Thanksgiving (although the website says early December).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:20 pm

Also waiting for DOT. They told me they would make offers before Thanksgiving. I have not heard anything about asking for references etc.

It is getting to that time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from the CFPB about callbacks? I thought it was supposed to happen this week. I know it's only Wednesday, but AAH I WANT TO KNOW.

Ditto that. Also anxiously waiting-- if anyone hears news, please post!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:07 pm

did anyone who interviewed with HUD hear from their interviewers when they expect to make offers?

mine thought it would be mid-December but then thought potentially it might be delayed because right now there's a continuing resolution instead of a budget. i just wondered if anyone had heard anything, or anything different.

Return to “Legal Employment”