2014 Government Honors Programs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2014 Government Honors Programs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:38 pm

also received a call from HUD regional today to set up an interview. my understanding is the same as above poster - you interview at the regional office nearest you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:13 pm

also received a call from HUD regional today to set up an interview. my understanding is the same as above poster - you interview at the regional office nearest you.

you're making me sad if i don't hear by the end of the week I'll assume its a ding anyone selected for a HUD interview want to give an idea of numbers or anything like that?

jamessyu

Postby jamessyu » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:35 pm

I received a call for HUD interview for San Francisco location yesterday. I wouldn't be too sad yet, since the lady on the phone indicated that she is busy calling candidates to set up interviews for upcoming weeks.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

you're making me sad if i don't hear by the end of the week I'll assume its a ding anyone selected for a HUD interview want to give an idea of numbers or anything like that?

I got a call from HUD for inter interview- T40 school, top 20% ranking, main law review, couple of relevant public service externships during law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:for HUD would anyone mind saying whether it was georgia? sorry, i know this is neurotic - it just seems to be going region by region and it's a little frustrating.

It wasn't Georgia either, at least not for me. For what it's worth, I am fairly certain some folks (at my school) have received rejections via snail mail so if you haven't heard anything, my guess would be that there's hope.

thank you! i really appreciate your response. this whole waiting game is no fun.

I received a call for the San Francisco location. I did not hear anything from anyone regarding Georgia.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here interview with DOL yet that applied via e-mail?

I did.

When did you interview? Did you have a ton of relevant experience or are your numbers killer?

I interviewed this week. I did a few L&E-related internships and was top 5% at a T30 school.

Ah ok thanks. Yeah, my grades blow compared to that.

Cristy86

Postby Cristy86 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:08 am

I got a call today from HUD to set up an interview in the Jacksonville location. :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:52 pm

Cristy86 wrote:I got a call today from HUD to set up an interview in the Jacksonville location. :D

Yep, I got one from the Greensboro, NC office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Had a second round interview with DOT during the first week of second round interviews. I haven't heard anything back yet. They said to expect to hear back around this time. Anyone hear anything? How do they go about rejections?

HoosInDC

Postby HoosInDC » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a second round interview with DOT during the first week of second round interviews. I haven't heard anything back yet. They said to expect to hear back around this time. Anyone hear anything? How do they go about rejections?

I also had a second interview at that time. Have not heard either way, they told me they would make offers before Thanksgiving. I expect this week or the week after (Monday-Wednesday for the short week). I got no info on rejections

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:17 am

Welp...I got an offer from a gov honors program that would honestly be my dream job in my dream city, but I'm pretty worried about the background investigation.

Does anyone know anyone that I could talk to about this? Like attorneys that specialize in this sort of thing?

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Welp...I got an offer from a gov honors program that would honestly be my dream job in my dream city, but I'm pretty worried about the background investigation.

Does anyone know anyone that I could talk to about this? Like attorneys that specialize in this sort of thing?

Do you need a clearance or just a background check? I'm not sure what an attorney could tell you other than whatever you do, don't lie.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Welp...I got an offer from a gov honors program that would honestly be my dream job in my dream city, but I'm pretty worried about the background investigation.

What part specifically are you worried about? Drug use or something else? And is it a position that requires a national security clearance? FWIW, when I interviewed for a position with a national security clearance, I was told that the only absolute deal breakers were post-bar drug use (I applied as an alum), failure to pay taxes, and defaulting on student loans.

gogogogo

Postby gogogogo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:36 am

I was cleared for secret. THey are looking to see that you are honest, kinda like the bar. Do you mind saying which program you were offered a position in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:49 am

I'm the anon who posted about being worried about the background check

Yeah, I'm concerned about some past drug use. The background investigation is for a public trust position, not a secret or top secret thing. The problem is that they won't finish the check until after i started working there (b/c it relates to suitability for employment), so I want to know whether or not I will be DQed before I accept the offer. I have a private sector job I can go to, so if anything will be a deal-breaker, I'd rather find out now.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:56 am

Was the drug use during or post-law school and did it involve any arrests? If no to both you'll probably be just fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:27 am

This is a bit old, but potentially still useful: http://news.clearancejobs.com/2010/04/2 ... learances/

Also, if you really would rather find out now if you're going to be DQed (which I completely understand), just ask them what the dealbreakers are about drug use. You won't be the first person to deal with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:50 am

same anon again...thanks for the tips...you guys are helpful. I think, given everything I've read, that I should be OK. It's been a little while since I last smoked, and I don't have any arrests or hard drug use. They really scare you when talking about these security clearances, though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 pm

anyone hear from boston regional office for hud?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Aww. I applied for the DOL program back in the misty days of August and I'm disappointed to hear that no interview will be forthcoming. Triple drat.

(given my background in labor law, I'm left wondering: what else did they want?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Aww. I applied for the DOL program back in the misty days of August and I'm disappointed to hear that no interview will be forthcoming. Triple drat.

(given my background in labor law, I'm left wondering: what else did they want?)

All the government honors programs are incredibly competitive based purely on numbers. DOL gets 1000+ applications for something like 5-8 slots. So qualified people are going to get overlooked. Everyone I've seen who has got one of those positions has really significant labor experience pre-law school, has usually interned with DOL before, and/or has an amazing pedigree (e.g. Yale BA, HLS, 2 clerkships). That may well describe you, but again, getting one of these slots is a little like winning the lottery.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Aww. I applied for the DOL program back in the misty days of August and I'm disappointed to hear that no interview will be forthcoming. Triple drat.

All the government honors programs are incredibly competitive based purely on numbers. DOL gets 1000+ applications for something like 5-8 slots. So qualified people are going to get overlooked. Everyone I've seen who has got one of those positions has really significant labor experience pre-law school, has usually interned with DOL before, and/or has an amazing pedigree (e.g. Yale BA, HLS, 2 clerkships). That may well describe you, but again, getting one of these slots is a little like winning the lottery.

Oh, soitainly. I'd just like the interview, really. To be considered is an honor itself etc. etc.

(my career-services people were telling me to apply to EPA, etc. And I was like, "Uh, I have no environmental-law background. Why bother?" I think I was right).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:42 pm

does anyone know how to find out what kind of background checks etc. are required for what agencies? i know some are more intense than others, but don't know how to find out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Oh, soitainly. I'd just like the interview, really. To be considered is an honor itself etc. etc.

(my career-services people were telling me to apply to EPA, etc. And I was like, "Uh, I have no environmental-law background. Why bother?" I think I was right).

I think it really depends on who is looking at your packet as well. I didn't get pre-selected for OCI but was called for an interview from applying through their website.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Oh is DOL done interviewing already? Sucks.

Return to “Legal Employment”