2014 Government Honors Programs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
texas4ever

New

Re: 2014 Government Honors Programs

Post by texas4ever » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:21 pm

oldie wrote:I honestly thought they must have given out offers (come on it's March... Now April) and were running out the clock on them before possibly going to the second round of candidates until I was reminded that they were 4 weeks late on their previous deadline. I had thought that perhaps March 31 was some sort of official deadline at least for selection notification. So we have perhaps another week or so? It really cannot be this hard to hire 3 people. They seem extraordinarily disorganized to give grossly inaccurate dates twice. If I get it, I'm taking it, but if I don't I am moving. For my own personal logistics it would be swell to hear.

Ps I contacted them regarding an update to notification timeline and didn't hear anything back.

How did you contact them? I was under the impression that the email address they've been using to communicate with us isn't checked regularly, and that they use it only when they specifically need to get in touch with a particular candidate. Of course, short of calling the front desk, I guess that doesn't leave us many options... I didn't get personal contact information for the attorneys at my interview.

oldie

New

Post by oldie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:22 pm

I left a message on her voicemail. It took a couple times to get asked if I wanted her voicemail. I did leave an email last week but no, that email address definitely isn't monitored. I think that was on Monday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:59 am

Any USACE updates?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any USACE updates?
I have a phone interview coming up. Anybody else do this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What district region if you don't mind sharing? You don't have to specify which city.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I had mine today. Lasted 20 minutes. Basic behavioral type questions. They told me if they approve me I'd next hear from the office that wanted to speak to me. So it seems like the office tells DC who they want to interview, then we have to get past the DC people before getting to the office people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I had mine today. Lasted 20 minutes. Basic behavioral type questions. They told me if they approve me I'd next hear from the office that wanted to speak to me. So it seems like the office tells DC who they want to interview, then we have to get past the DC people before getting to the office people.
Original anon here: Same thing, had mine today.

To the other poster, the office with the opening is in the NW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Original anon here: Same thing, had mine today.

To the other poster, the office with the opening is in the NW.
Mine for for a midwest opening. Did they give you any indication on how fast turnaround would be?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mine for for a midwest opening. Did they give you any indication on how fast turnaround would be?
I didn't check off any Midwest offices back in September and now that it's April and I'm still jobless I'm really regretting not putting them all down. No they didn't give me a turnaround. Just said next step if qualified would be interviewing with the office.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:28 am

texas4ever wrote:
oldie wrote:
texas4ever wrote:Has anyone heard from the U.S. Copyright Office's honors program? They did screening interviews at the beginning of January, but it's been radio silence since, and they'd originally said they were going to get back to us in the two weeks after the interview. I can't really figure out whether that's their method of rejecting a candidate, or exactly what's going on...
I didn't see any other follow up. I had a second interview 2/28, was told 2 weeks. I am afraid that not hearing means it's a rejection but who knows!
Well, that makes two of us. Were it not for our experience after the screener, I'd definitely interpret it as a rejection, but now I'm not so sure. At least in my case, they told me they'd decide on next steps within two weeks after the screener, and then I heard nothing back for 6 weeks, when they asked to set up the second round. I interviewed on the second day, and they gave me a 2.5 week timeframe, but I haven't heard anything yet, either. On the website, they said by the end of March, but I'm (perhaps too optimistically) inclined to believe that we shouldn't read much into their timelines. The search committee, so far as I know, was made up only of the heads of the departments, one of whom left the Copyright Office some time in February, so it's possible that they just haven't made a decision yet because they're busy with other things. I know they routinely travel outside the country on official business.

Anyway, best of luck with your application. If you hear back either way, PM me, and I'll do the same for you if you want.

For those who weren't so fortunate as to get an interview, did you ever get a rejection? And for those who did only the screener, did they ever get back in touch with you?
Any updates?

oldie

New

Post by oldie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote: [omitted lots of copyright office stuff]
Any updates?
i PMed to texas4ever (because i thought it was only us 2) that they did respond to my request for an update and the administrative asst said hopefully by the end of april. anything on your end? did they contact your references?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I didn't check off any Midwest offices back in September and now that it's April and I'm still jobless I'm really regretting not putting them all down. No they didn't give me a turnaround. Just said next step if qualified would be interviewing with the office.

Good luck.
Any calls from USACE after qualifying interview? Still silence over here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck.
Any calls from USACE after qualifying interview? Still silence over here.
Nope. The woman interviewer (the one who emailed us about the openings) said I could email her for updates on where the district was in the hiring process, so I might do that after it's been like 3 weeks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:25 pm

Checking in to see if anyone has heard from DOL, particularly the national office. I assume they've made decisions but haven't seen much reported.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:50 am

USACE in-person district interview in a few weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:USACE in-person district interview in a few weeks.
Are you the same mid-west poster? if not what region?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:USACE in-person district interview in a few weeks.
Are you the same mid-west poster? if not what region?
Yeah, same one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

oldie

New

Post by oldie » Tue May 06, 2014 7:57 am

did the copyright office ever bother to send out rejections to anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 21, 2014 12:16 pm

Any updates on DOL?
At this point, I would just presume silence = rejection, but wanted to make sure.

hoping5

New

Post by hoping5 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:06 pm

DOL Honors Program selections are over. It's overwhelmingly likely you were rejected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:44 am

anybody do an in-person USACE district interview? If so, how long did it take you to hear back?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”