2014 Government Honors Programs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2014 Government Honors Programs

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:did anyone who interviewed with HUD hear from their interviewers when they expect to make offers?

mine thought it would be mid-December but then thought potentially it might be delayed because right now there's a continuing resolution instead of a budget. i just wondered if anyone had heard anything, or anything different.
That's basically what my interviewers said too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:did anyone who interviewed with HUD hear from their interviewers when they expect to make offers?

mine thought it would be mid-December but then thought potentially it might be delayed because right now there's a continuing resolution instead of a budget. i just wondered if anyone had heard anything, or anything different.
My interviewer did not discuss the budget issue, but he was told to tell candidates that results will be out by early December. However, the current honors attorney informed a group of us at the end of the interview session that he heard back the day before Thanksgiving last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My interviewer did not discuss the budget issue, but he was told to tell candidates that results will be out by early December. However, the current honors attorney informed a group of us at the end of the interview session that he heard back the day before Thanksgiving last year.
thanks! that's good to know that he was told to tell candidates that results would be out by early December. i would be shocked if it was before Thanksgiving since that's...next week.

gogogogo

New

Post by gogogogo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:06 pm

I was told by HUD late december early Jan

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What do you guys think of IRS honors vs a biglaw firm w/ a very good tax group? I know honors programs are supposed to be very prestigious but I feel like the kind of work I would be doing at IRS would be very specific whereas the firm would give me exposure to lots of different tax work. I'm drawn to the honors program bc I value work life balance over just money, but at the end of the day id like to get the best experience possible and a professor of mine has advised me that this firm would probably be better work. Anyone have thoughts on this?
I think nearly all practitioners would agree with your professor, but it also depends on the office and the branch of the IRS you'd be entering. Besides the hours and culture there's no advantage to the IRS over an elite tax group, but there may not be a disadvantage either, depending on what you'd be working on. If you were offered LBI in New York or something, I don't think you're going to limit your career significantly by going with the IRS. Obviously if you were offered SBSE in Anchorage, you'd be crazy to reject your firm.

I have also heard that field office people can be pegged as controversy-focused, but not from many people, and I assume if you're considering the IRS offer at all you're not opposed to controversy work. And if you want to work in government longterm, that's not the end of the world either, despite what people around you might be saying. Many IRS people do.
Hey, you seem to know a lot about the IRS honors program and tax law in general. Would you mind posting under your username so that I could PM you? If youre not comfortable doing that, no sweat, i completely understand. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fish tacos

Bronze

Post by fish tacos » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:59 pm

YouDontKnowMe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
YouDontKnowMe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any FCC-ers out there? News? Interviews? Anything?
My career services office told us recently that they'd extended the deadline to December 6. So I would assume they haven't started interviewing?

What the f??? Do they not like the group of students that has already applied?
It might have had something to do with the shutdown. That's why they extended it the first time, anyway.
The deadline was only extended for those who applied to an email address with a typo in it prior to the original deadline.
See announcement here: http://www.fcc.gov/document/applicant-i ... rs-program

Cristy86

New

Post by Cristy86 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:04 pm

HUD is already calling for references. They called my references today!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:16 pm

fish tacos wrote:
YouDontKnowMe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
YouDontKnowMe wrote:
My career services office told us recently that they'd extended the deadline to December 6. So I would assume they haven't started interviewing?

What the f??? Do they not like the group of students that has already applied?
It might have had something to do with the shutdown. That's why they extended it the first time, anyway.
The deadline was only extended for those who applied to an email address with a typo in it prior to the original deadline.
See announcement here: http://www.fcc.gov/document/applicant-i ... rs-program
Damn... we will probably not hear about this until January then.

Ps, how much interest does FCC gather? Not many people are talking about it on TLS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Cristy86 wrote:HUD is already calling for references. They called my references today!
damn, that's fast. did you already interview?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cristy86

New

Post by Cristy86 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:36 pm

Yes, it was fast. I interviewed on tuesday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Cristy86 wrote:Yes, it was fast. I interviewed on tuesday.
Oh wow, I just came back from my interview so hopefully my references get calls too.

Good luck Cristy!

Cristy86

New

Post by Cristy86 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Oh wow, I just came back from my interview so hopefully my references get calls too.

Good luck Cristy!

Thank you! Good luck to you as well :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:19 pm

Thanks for the info! I also interviewed on Tuesday. Good luck to everyone!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:39 pm

I interviewed on Tuesday, too, and I haven't heard anything from my references. *cue anxiety*

Ruffian Wizard

New

Post by Ruffian Wizard » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What do you guys think of IRS honors vs a biglaw firm w/ a very good tax group? I know honors programs are supposed to be very prestigious but I feel like the kind of work I would be doing at IRS would be very specific whereas the firm would give me exposure to lots of different tax work. I'm drawn to the honors program bc I value work life balance over just money, but at the end of the day id like to get the best experience possible and a professor of mine has advised me that this firm would probably be better work. Anyone have thoughts on this?
I think nearly all practitioners would agree with your professor, but it also depends on the office and the branch of the IRS you'd be entering. Besides the hours and culture there's no advantage to the IRS over an elite tax group, but there may not be a disadvantage either, depending on what you'd be working on. If you were offered LBI in New York or something, I don't think you're going to limit your career significantly by going with the IRS. Obviously if you were offered SBSE in Anchorage, you'd be crazy to reject your firm.

I have also heard that field office people can be pegged as controversy-focused, but not from many people, and I assume if you're considering the IRS offer at all you're not opposed to controversy work. And if you want to work in government longterm, that's not the end of the world either, despite what people around you might be saying. Many IRS people do.
Hey, you seem to know a lot about the IRS honors program and tax law in general. Would you mind posting under your username so that I could PM you? If youre not comfortable doing that, no sweat, i completely understand. Thanks!
Sure, feel free. I'll help if I can. Tax Talent is also a great resource if you want to get some other perspectives.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I interviewed on Tuesday, too, and I haven't heard anything from my references. *cue anxiety*
I wouldn't worry about it too much. They may be super fast on calling, but they are still in the process of interviewing people (I just interviewed today), and I got the impression that the interviews would spill a little bit into next week.

As a side note, as far as DOL is concerned, my understanding is that, at least for people who interviewed for DOL through OCI, there have already been some cuts made. About two weeks ago, I was asked to provide some additional information. Around the same time, someone I know was cut (she only found out after sending them an email though). So, I would suggest emailing your interviewers if you are wondering about your status because apparently they aren't sending out formal dings at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:35 am

The NLRB's DC headquarters is making calls for interviews.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Heard from a friend DOT request for references went out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Heard from a friend DOT request for references went out.
Any idea when etc?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Heard from a friend DOT request for references went out.
Any idea when etc?
today

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:55 pm

Just to clarify re: DOT. Do you mean that DOT is calling references today?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just to clarify re: DOT. Do you mean that DOT is calling references today?
i don't know if anyone's been called, i just know they asked for a list of references

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just to clarify re: DOT. Do you mean that DOT is calling references today?
i don't know if anyone's been called, i just know they asked for a list of references
Thanks for the info. Can you clarify: did they ask candidates for a reference list or was the request internal to DOT?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks for the info. Can you clarify: did they ask candidates for a reference list or was the request internal to DOT?
i heard from a candidate

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:44 pm

I take it no one heard from the CFPB last week?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”