2014 Government Honors Programs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2014 Government Honors Programs

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:48 pm

sew4207 wrote:I submitted an online application for the DOL Honors Program and I interviewed in DC last month. I just received a personal e-mail from my interviewers this morning. They let me know that DOL has finished its review of all applications and I am being actively considered for a position in next year's program. Just curious how many people received a similar e-mail?

Also, I received a rejection from the NLRB's General Counsel Honors Program this morning as well.
Congrats, would you mind sharing stats? I wonder what this means for those who received no such email...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:56 pm

Has anyone heard from HUD? They said offers would go out before Christmas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:08 pm

I received an email from HUD saying they have made all of their initial first round offers and a subsequent round is tentative based on response from the first offer.

sew4207

New

Post by sew4207 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sew4207 wrote:I submitted an online application for the DOL Honors Program and I interviewed in DC last month. I just received a personal e-mail from my interviewers this morning. They let me know that DOL has finished its review of all applications and I am being actively considered for a position in next year's program. Just curious how many people received a similar e-mail?

Also, I received a rejection from the NLRB's General Counsel Honors Program this morning as well.
Congrats, would you mind sharing stats? I wonder what this means for those who received no such email...
T2, Top 10%, Journal, worked at a union-side labor firm this summer, strong record of public service (AmeriCorps, Legal Services, etc.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm hoping it just means some interviewers are more communicative than others.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:31 pm

sew4207 wrote:I just received a personal e-mail from my interviewers this morning. They let me know that DOL has finished its review of all applications and I am being actively considered for a position in next year's program. Just curious how many people received a similar e-mail?
About six dozen applicants

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sew4207 wrote:I just received a personal e-mail from my interviewers this morning. They let me know that DOL has finished its review of all applications and I am being actively considered for a position in next year's program. Just curious how many people received a similar e-mail?
About six dozen applicants
So no email = no longer in the running?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received an email from HUD saying they have made all of their initial first round offers and a subsequent round is tentative based on response from the first offer.
When did you get this email? I haven't heard anything either way.

Anonymous User

DOL Honors Programs

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So no email = no longer in the running?
Technically, yes, but since the interviewers are sending the emails rather than a central source, not everyone in the running may have received their email yet. Bear in mind, it's the week before Xmas, so some staffers may be on vacation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word from NLRB?
General Counsel is currently interviewing and so is at least one regional office. I heard that the Board offices may be running behind and may not have interviewed yet. General Counsel and the regional office both told me they expect to make offers by the end of January.
Any idea if all the offers from regional offices go out at the same time? Or do they send them out as choices are made?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
General Counsel is currently interviewing and so is at least one regional office. I heard that the Board offices may be running behind and may not have interviewed yet. General Counsel and the regional office both told me they expect to make offers by the end of January.
Any idea if all the offers from regional offices go out at the same time? Or do they send them out as choices are made?
I was told that the regional offices submit their choices to headquarters for approval. I got the impression that all offers will go out at the same time.

Redurgam

New

Post by Redurgam » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Dinged today via polite email by the FTC. Had OCI screen, then second interview which was back in September before shutdown. This was the first time I'd heard anything back from them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I was told that the regional offices submit their choices to headquarters for approval. I got the impression that all offers will go out at the same time.
Any idea what the process is like once headquarters gets the choices? Does headquarters also call references or anything like that?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea what the process is like once headquarters gets the choices? Does headquarters also call references or anything like that?
The people I met with at the regional office said someone would call references, but they were kind of unclear regarding whether it was someone at headquarters or someone at the regional office. They didn't elaborate much on the process other than mentioning that headquarters had to approve their choices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone apply to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's honors program?

Yes. They have yet to issue any offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received an email from HUD saying they have made all of their initial first round offers and a subsequent round is tentative based on response from the first offer.
I second that. I haven't heard anything either. Did you get that email this week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone apply to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's honors program?

Yes. They have yet to issue any offers.
Do you what stage of the process they are at? Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Good luck to everyone as well. Didn't hear anything either way last week... perhaps this week. Feel free to chime in either way... it's nice to know what may be (or what may not be) coming, and these boards are a great help.
I did not hear anything either - nor did my friend who is also up for the position. I'll get the word out once either of us hears something.
Any word from the House Office of the Legislative Counsel? I still haven't heard anything.
Yes, anything from Leg. Counsel? Has anyone been in touch with them recently re: timeline? If we don't hear this week should we assume the worst?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Redurgam wrote:Dinged today via polite email by the FTC. Had OCI screen, then second interview which was back in September before shutdown. This was the first time I'd heard anything back from them.
Which Bureau of the FTC?

I had a screening interview with the CFPB and got dinged yesterday without a callback. Bummer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:39 pm

I just got an email from the FCC, telling me that my application is still under consideration. Did anyone else get this? Does that mean they are waiting to hear back from offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Yes, anything from Leg. Counsel? Has anyone been in touch with them recently re: timeline? If we don't hear this week should we assume the worst?
I contacted them two weeks ago, and they seemed to be in the final stages or interviewing/reviewing finalists. They said that we'd hear back by the end of this week, but that's likely not happening now. I don't know if anyone has more recent updates. Anyone else with different info?

We will find out by mail if we did not make it if they are consistent with prior years.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Yes, anything from Leg. Counsel? Has anyone been in touch with them recently re: timeline? If we don't hear this week should we assume the worst?
I contacted them two weeks ago, and they seemed to be in the final stages or interviewing/reviewing finalists. They said that we'd hear back by the end of this week, but that's likely not happening now. I don't know if anyone has more recent updates. Anyone else with different info?

We will find out by mail if we did not make it if they are consistent with prior years.
Thanks. I'm going to assume (for my purposes) they made offers this week and letters will arrive next week. That's probably the most likely scenario, unfortunately. Does anyone know someone who got an offer? That might help support my theory...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I second that. I haven't heard anything either. Did you get that email this week?
I sent an email to check on the timeline, they replied saying the above. This happened Monday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Has anybody heard anything after a final round with DHS?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:20 pm

Long time lurker here thought I would contribute for once. As a last ditch effort, I called HUD DC headquarters to inquire about HUD Legal Honors apps and they told me that 15 people received offers for the first round and that they had until Jan. 2nd to decide. Seems clear that second round offers are not happening until at least Jan. 3rd if any are made at all. Oh well on to the next one :cry:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”